Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

2 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

No not yet, I believe it needs to be nearer the time, if you do it too early they ask you to do it again or reconfirm everything as it has Covid related questions in it. It just says complete at least 72 hours before travel. 

Ok thanks.  I seem to think someone previously had said no more than 7 days before.  Seems like it was a false alarm about Victoria's border opening this weekend.  They've re-opened to New Zealand but are still saying no decision has been made yet regarding international flights so the waiting and wondering goes on....... 

1 hour ago, BargeUK said:

Ok thanks.  I seem to think someone previously had said no more than 7 days before.  Seems like it was a false alarm about Victoria's border opening this weekend.  They've re-opened to New Zealand but are still saying no decision has been made yet regarding international flights so the waiting and wondering goes on....... 

It’s madness, just putting pressure on others states and stress on travellers. I really hope things change soon  🤞 

Hello, long time since I posted. I am after an update on expected wait times for the 143 visa. We applied May 2017. 

I know they are processing May 2016 currently, and from the research I have done it seems like there could still be around 15,000 applications ahead of us ( inc. 143, 173, 884 and 864)

This year they are only processing 4000 visas in these categories, up to Dec 31st 2020 they had granted about 3000 already. 

So if they keep the cap at 4,000 visas for the next few years, we could still have 3-4 more years to wait. Is that really right??

Another question, when the 143 visa is granted, if the parent is offshore, how long do they have to arrive in Australia. 

37 minutes ago, youngfreewild said:

Hello, long time since I posted. I am after an update on expected wait times for the 143 visa. We applied May 2017. 

I know they are processing May 2016 currently, and from the research I have done it seems like there could still be around 15,000 applications ahead of us ( inc. 143, 173, 884 and 864)

This year they are only processing 4000 visas in these categories, up to Dec 31st 2020 they had granted about 3000 already. 

So if they keep the cap at 4,000 visas for the next few years, we could still have 3-4 more years to wait. Is that really right??

Another question, when the 143 visa is granted, if the parent is offshore, how long do they have to arrive in Australia. 

It’s actually 4500 visas per annum but they don’t always grant the amount they say they allow! 
Yes  you’re looking at another 3-4 years. I’m June 2017 so in similar position. 

Once your visa is granted I think you are given 12 months from the last date of medical/police check to enter Australia. You can come and go for 5 years initially but after 5 years you’d need RRV - residents return visa. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 16:31, Canda said:

BargeUK and Lady Jane, thanks for your responses… and wow so strange we're in the same position, we're currently in a holiday let and our furniture has just been shipped. We'll probably wait another couple of weeks to see what happens with Melbourne with fingers-crossed for a reopening of flights. 

You still hanging in there with fingers and toes crossed?  I see the Deputy State Premier is now suggesting opening Victoria's border is a matter for National Cabinet and their next meeting is not till 9 April so here's hoping they don't wait till then to make a decision.  It seemed as though they were about to make a statement before Daniel Andrews had his accident but maybe that's been put on hold again now.  It would just be good to know either way - very difficult to decide what to do

10 hours ago, BargeUK said:

You still hanging in there with fingers and toes crossed?  I see the Deputy State Premier is now suggesting opening Victoria's border is a matter for National Cabinet and their next meeting is not till 9 April so here's hoping they don't wait till then to make a decision.  It seemed as though they were about to make a statement before Daniel Andrews had his accident but maybe that's been put on hold again now.  It would just be good to know either way - very difficult to decide what to do

Hi BargeUK, thanks for the update, much appreciated… we still have everything crossed but have extended our rental accommodation, just in case. We are due to fly on the 17th April but just don't know whether to postpone, change airport or wait to see what happens, the longer we put off the more expensive & limited the flights become… all feels very uncertain, whichever choice we make. How about you?

1 hour ago, Arashtinbenmik said:

Any new update of subclass 143?!?!??

None offshore. Any left in the quota are going to onshore applicants towards end this month who have been granted special exemption to remain onshore rather than leaving in order to validate visa. Very likely that this years quota has already gone and will have to see what happens from 1 July. Processing has been stuck on May 2016 for months now due to numbers on queue and June 2016 also has large numbers. 

When did you apply ? 

Edited by LindaH27

9 hours ago, Canda said:

Hi BargeUK, thanks for the update, much appreciated… we still have everything crossed but have extended our rental accommodation, just in case. We are due to fly on the 17th April but just don't know whether to postpone, change airport or wait to see what happens, the longer we put off the more expensive & limited the flights become… all feels very uncertain, whichever choice we make. How about you?

That's the scary thing - the price of other flights at short notice!  As you say, there are less available and the prices are breathtaking!  We're due to fly 27 April with Qatar so I don't know whether there is any chance of them swapping us to another airport destination.  I am assuming if they do that there will be a significant extra charge to pay but if we have to wait for another flight to Melbourne who knows how long it might be.  Our son (who is in Melbourne) feels as though the borders will open fairly soon - there is more pressure from the politicians, the opposition parties and the other states who are having to pick up the slack and they don't really appear to have a good reason for not opening now.  We can only keep hoping.......until we're forced into making a decision

On 17/03/2021 at 19:26, BargeUK said:

That's the scary thing - the price of other flights at short notice!  As you say, there are less available and the prices are breathtaking!  We're due to fly 27 April with Qatar so I don't know whether there is any chance of them swapping us to another airport destination.  I am assuming if they do that there will be a significant extra charge to pay but if we have to wait for another flight to Melbourne who knows how long it might be.  Our son (who is in Melbourne) feels as though the borders will open fairly soon - there is more pressure from the politicians, the opposition parties and the other states who are having to pick up the slack and they don't really appear to have a good reason for not opening now.  We can only keep hoping.......until we're forced into making a decision

@BargeUK 

Have you decided what to do about your flight? Have you still got the option of the Sydney flight?  It’s just that I saw on another site someone due to fly on the 15th of April with Qatar that had flight cancelled today with  the offer of business class flight to Perth as only option as replacement!! 
They were told there’s nothing else available. They were a family of 5 so more difficult to accommodate.  I not sure how you are feeling but my stress levels would be through the roof if I was you 😔.  

11 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

@BargeUK 

Have you decided what to do about your flight? Have you still got the option of the Sydney flight?  It’s just that I saw on another site someone due to fly on the 15th of April with Qatar that had flight cancelled today with  the offer of business class flight to Perth as only option as replacement!! 
They were told there’s nothing else available. They were a family of 5 so more difficult to accommodate.  I not sure how you are feeling but my stress levels would be through the roof if I was you 😔.  

Unfortunately no, we don't have that other option any more.  My head is absolutely spinning at the moment - we're just going round in circles. Our house completion was delayed at the last minute - already by a week and possibly another fortnight which is ok as long as it goes through in the end.  It just means we're in an empty house as the shippers have already been but we've got enough bits and pieces to manage - thank heavens for good neighbours! The trouble is without having a definite date it means we can't finalise anything like service providers.  At least the other family got offered an alternative flight and they have had a reasonable amount of notice.  I've been worried that we wouldn't find out till a couple of days before the flight. Was that a straight swap for the one they had or did they have to pay a massive extra fare fee?  Quite honestly we don't care which state we fly to now as long as we can get somewhere! I don't understand why the powers that be in Melbourne can't just say yes we're opening or no we're not. It's all the uncertainty that's so soul-destroying and it certainly is a most stressful time. How are your plans going - you must be due to fly this next week aren't you?  We would be so excited now if we knew everything was going to work out ok and we wish you all the best for your journey

On 15/03/2021 at 23:57, LindaH27 said:

It’s actually 4500 visas per annum but they don’t always grant the amount they say they allow! 
Yes  you’re looking at another 3-4 years. I’m June 2017 so in similar position. 

Once your visa is granted I think you are given 12 months from the last date of medical/police check to enter Australia. You can come and go for 5 years initially but after 5 years you’d need RRV - residents return visa. 

If you refer to the Visa processing times on the homeaffairs website, it says "new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 58 months". So it takes the most recent application (last updated Feb 2021) approx 4.8 years, and processing time for applications in June 2017, that is 4 years back should not be near 4 or 5 years, I think should be a lot less.

I dont think using the 15,000 divided by 4000 is necessarily accurate. Probably the best way is check the email update on a monthly basis and monitor how long it takes for the progress to move. I reckon another 2 -3 years. 

31 minutes ago, Bonnievic1234 said:

If you refer to the Visa processing times on the homeaffairs website, it says "new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 58 months". So it takes the most recent application (last updated Feb 2021) approx 4.8 years

No, sorry, that's not what they're saying.  They use historical data.  It means, "based on the applications we've completed recently, it takes at least 58 months". Their argument is that they're giving you a factual timeframe, not trying to predict what the future might hold for applications they haven't even looked at yet.  But as you know, that's downright misleading.  In fact, applications receivd in Feb 2021 will take at least 8 years.

Edited by Marisawright

46 minutes ago, Bonnievic1234 said:

If you refer to the Visa processing times on the homeaffairs website, it says "new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 58 months". So it takes the most recent application (last updated Feb 2021) approx 4.8 years, and processing time for applications in June 2017, that is 4 years back should not be near 4 or 5 years, I think should be a lot less.

I dont think using the 15,000 divided by 4000 is necessarily accurate. Probably the best way is check the email update on a monthly basis and monitor how long it takes for the progress to move. I reckon another 2 -3 years. 

Sorry you’re way out! The times on the website refer to ones they currently completing. It’s been stuck on May 2016 from about September  last year. You can get a more accurate view by looking at the information posted here by @Alan Collett 

1684B60C-F579-4DB1-9542-4A9F8375CD4C.jpeg

20 hours ago, BargeUK said:

Unfortunately no, we don't have that other option any more.  My head is absolutely spinning at the moment - we're just going round in circles. Our house completion was delayed at the last minute - already by a week and possibly another fortnight which is ok as long as it goes through in the end.  It just means we're in an empty house as the shippers have already been but we've got enough bits and pieces to manage - thank heavens for good neighbours! The trouble is without having a definite date it means we can't finalise anything like service providers.  At least the other family got offered an alternative flight and they have had a reasonable amount of notice.  I've been worried that we wouldn't find out till a couple of days before the flight. Was that a straight swap for the one they had or did they have to pay a massive extra fare fee?  Quite honestly we don't care which state we fly to now as long as we can get somewhere! I don't understand why the powers that be in Melbourne can't just say yes we're opening or no we're not. It's all the uncertainty that's so soul-destroying and it certainly is a most stressful time. How are your plans going - you must be due to fly this next week aren't you?  We would be so excited now if we knew everything was going to work out ok and we wish you all the best for your journey

Wasn’t a straight swop, an additional cost of 40K!! Not sure what currency though but a lot regardless, then the cost of getting to Melbourne.  That is the most annoying thing, if they just said yes or no and give a definitive date for opening. 
Yes, we fly on the 29th, just need that negative Covid test certificate 🤞

thank you 

3 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

Wasn’t a straight swop, an additional cost of 40K!! Not sure what currency though but a lot regardless, then the cost of getting to Melbourne.  That is the most annoying thing, if they just said yes or no and give a definitive date for opening. 
Yes, we fly on the 29th, just need that negative Covid test certificate 🤞

thank you 

Wow!  I don't suppose many people have a spare 40k of any currency lying around!  What a nightmare for them.  Despite all this we still consider ourselves amongst the lucky ones though - after a 5 year wait we'll be so massively relieved to finally get there and can't wait to see our son and grandson again.  It'll be a nerve-wracking wait for covid test results - I'll keep everything crossed for you 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2021 at 20:51, LindaH27 said:

None offshore. Any left in the quota are going to onshore applicants towards end this month who have been granted special exemption to remain onshore rather than leaving in order to validate visa. Very likely that this years quota has already gone and will have to see what happens from 1 July. Processing has been stuck on May 2016 for months now due to numbers on queue and June 2016 also has large numbers. 

When did you apply ? 

November 2016

10 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

WELL!

they have stuck to their word and started issuing parent visas to those onshore as from today. 
Got my grant this morning after 5yrs 5days!
Good luck to the others waiting, as at least we know now they saved us a place !

Fabulous news xM

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

WELL!

they have stuck to their word and started issuing parent visas to those onshore as from today. 
Got my grant this morning after 5yrs 5days!
Good luck to the others waiting, as at least we know now they saved us a place !

wow A big congratulations!! you absolutely deserved it!!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Aww thank you, we all do after what we have to go through! 
my heart goes out to all those that will have to wait much longer, so sad,

Yes, our visa was also granted today, onshore. 

• Congratulations 9

On 20/03/2021 at 16:20, Lady Jane said:

@BargeUK 

D5E654F5-0B6C-45D7-8487-91F4F5212F64.thumb.png.371a063160f8d0146c264e2eb7a0b958.png