Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

5 minutes ago, AlwaysVet said:

Just to update my timeline.

We were offshore and have to make the first entry by July 2021. Luckily, we've arrived Sydney to validate our visa yesterday morning (18 Jan).  The process to the quantine took a lot of steps, but very smooth. 

Well done. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, A&J said:

Contributory visa lobby group??

I refer to recent data posted and comments regarding wait times for contributory visas. There does not seem to be much evidence of lobbying on this issue.

The Migration Program is starting to plan allocations for 2021/22 and invites public submissions to inform the planning process which must be submitted by 29th January 2021. See details and submission link at

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/reports-and-publications/submissions-and-discussion-papers/australia-2021-22-migration-program?_ga=2.2508084.548448393.1610869697-1485230910.1610869697

I attach my submission below. Do yours today

————————————————

I am a parent of a newly conferred Australian citizen and have recently successfully submitted an application for contributory parent visa 143. I wish to bring to your attention the growing wait time for contributory parent visas.

At the time of my application, the wait period was just under 5 years, with applications from May 2016 having just been released for processing. The monthly number of applications awaiting processing from June 2016 to September 2020 total 55,620. On the basis of your annual allocation of parent visas (4,500), even with some attrition, this implies a wait time of over 10 years.

In the recent past the wait time was 2-3 years but has rapidly increased. I hope you will give consideration in your forthcoming Migration Program planning process to reducing the wait time to levels appropriate to the principles underpinning the contributory visas.

————————————————

Thanks for sharing this - I'll add mine to it! @Alan Collett any chance you can flag or pin this or something so we can more people involved? 

The Department invites submissions to migration.policy@homeaffairs.gov.au by 29 January 2021.

Edited by Ollie1234
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

Thanks for sharing this - I'll add mine to it! @Alan Collett any chance you can flag or pin this or something so we can more people involved? 

The Department invites submissions to migration.policy@homeaffairs.gov.au by 29 January 2021.

You need to contact admin. Alan Collett is an agent who kindly  pops on here to help out occasionally 

3 hours ago, AlwaysVet said:

We were offshore and have to make the first entry by July 2021. Luckily, we've arrived Sydney to validate our visa yesterday morning (18 Jan).  The process to the quantine took a lot of steps, but very smooth. 

That’s great news.  Congratulations!  So lucky you didn’t get bumped off your flight.  I bet you can’t quite believe you’ve done it! 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 12:03, Ollie1234 said:

I've written to many. 

• Julian Hill (Federal Minister for Bruce, who has been fighting to end the ridiculous need to fly offshore during a global pandemic, replied with sympathy but busy with his own constituents) 
  • Peter Dutton (Federal Minister for Home Affairs - no reply aside from auto-response) 
  • Alan Tudge (As suggested by someone here - no reply)
  • Mark McGowen (WA Premier - replied saying this was a federal matter - passed the book)
  • Lisa O'Malley (My local MP - no reply) 

There's no way I would have applied for an offshore visa if I had known the wait times were twice as long as stated on their website. It's unclear and misleading. So much so that 2 agents (who I paid to speak with throughout the decision making process) related exactly the same information to me. 

This is amazing, you've really taken lots of efforts! It's shocking to see the lack of responses from the ministers and politicians, but I can see a clear pattern there. One way would be to approach the opposition shadow ministers and MPs.. I'll look into it.

23 hours ago, A&J said:

Contributory visa lobby group??

I refer to recent data posted and comments regarding wait times for contributory visas. There does not seem to be much evidence of lobbying on this issue.

The Migration Program is starting to plan allocations for 2021/22 and invites public submissions to inform the planning process which must be submitted by 29th January 2021. See details and submission link at

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/reports-and-publications/submissions-and-discussion-papers/australia-2021-22-migration-program?_ga=2.2508084.548448393.1610869697-1485230910.1610869697

I attach my submission below. Do yours today

————————————————

I am a parent of a newly conferred Australian citizen and have recently successfully submitted an application for contributory parent visa 143. I wish to bring to your attention the growing wait time for contributory parent visas.

At the time of my application, the wait period was just under 5 years, with applications from May 2016 having just been released for processing. The monthly number of applications awaiting processing from June 2016 to September 2020 total 55,620. On the basis of your annual allocation of parent visas (4,500), even with some attrition, this implies a wait time of over 10 years.

In the recent past the wait time was 2-3 years but has rapidly increased. I hope you will give consideration in your forthcoming Migration Program planning process to reducing the wait time to levels appropriate to the principles underpinning the contributory visas.

————————————————

Contributory Visa Lobby Group - exactly what I had in mind when I asked the question before... this is great stuff!

You have written a very nice and succinct submission, great work! I urge everyone else to do the same. 

Let's try to do everything we can to make it easier for us and our families!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlwaysVet said:

Great news, who did you fly with and did everything go ok? Was this the 1st flight that you booked, no bumping off from a previous date? 

9 hours ago, AlwaysVet said:

Congratulations. 

What was the process and how long did it take to get permission to fly?

On 19/01/2021 at 12:54, AlwaysVet said:

Many many Congratulations... AlwaysVet 

Very happy for you...

Can you please advise which airlines you fly with..

16 hours ago, Sherlock said:

This is amazing, you've really taken lots of efforts! It's shocking to see the lack of responses from the ministers and politicians, but I can see a clear pattern there. One way would be to approach the opposition shadow ministers and MPs.. I'll look into it.

Let me know if there's anything else you think I can do. Power in numbers and all! 

22 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Contributory Visa Lobby Group - exactly what I had in mind when I asked the question before... this is great stuff!

You have written a very nice and succinct submission, great work! I urge everyone else to do the same. 

Let's try to do everything we can to make it easier for us and our families!

Without in any way of criticising what exactly do you want to achieve?  I agree that there is a false and unrealistic impression of the waiting time for the granting of the parent visas on the government website, and that it’s daft that parents have to go offshore to get their visas validated. Both of those need to change, and it’s important to keep contacting MP’s etc.

However it’s the sheer number of parents wanting to live here and applying for the parent visa against the decreasing number of visas allocated that has caused the backlog. Even if the number hadn’t decreased there would still be a huge backlog. 

I have sadly seen similar genuine attempts over the years, to appeal for unfair treatment of potential immigrants being being totally ignored by successive governments.

The government doesn’t care about individuals, yes it’s probably immoral that they are sitting on all the application fees paid, but the country doesn’t really want old people who ultimately are going to cost too much, so I think sadly it’s unlikely that there will be an increase in the number of parent visas issued. I think they thought that the 870 visa would solve the problem for many.

I genuinely am not unsympathetic, my son’s front loaded visa application after studying here, should have have been instantly granted, except the then labor immigration minister decided overnight to change the rules retrospectively, causing untold misery for thousand of onshore students, who went on bridging visas for over 31/2 rears, and most were then sent home. There were marches and petitions, plenty of tv and newspaper exposure, and sadly suicides all for nothing, and many never had  their application fee returned.

I know I am  extremely fortunate that our parent visa was granted, and I wish everyone the same outcome.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ramot said:

Without in any way of criticising what exactly do you want to achieve?  I agree that there is a false and unrealistic impression of the waiting time for the granting of the parent visas on the government website, and that it’s daft that parents have to go offshore to get their visas validated. Both of those need to change, and it’s important to keep contacting MP’s etc.

However it’s the sheer number of parents wanting to live here and applying for the parent visa against the decreasing number of visas allocated that has caused the backlog. Even if the number hadn’t decreased there would still be a huge backlog. 

I have sadly seen similar genuine attempts over the years, to appeal for unfair treatment of potential immigrants being being totally ignored by successive governments.

The government doesn’t care about individuals, yes it’s probably immoral that they are sitting on all the application fees paid, but the country doesn’t really want old people who ultimately are going to cost too much, so I think sadly it’s unlikely that there will be an increase in the number of parent visas issued. I think they thought that the 870 visa would solve the problem for many.

I genuinely am not unsympathetic, my son’s front loaded visa application after studying here, should have have been instantly granted, except the then labor immigration minister decided overnight to change the rules retrospectively, causing untold misery for thousand of onshore students, who went on bridging visas for over 31/2 rears, and most were then sent home. There were marches and petitions, plenty of tv and newspaper exposure, and sadly suicides all for nothing, and many never had  their application fee returned.

I know I am  extremely fortunate that our parent visa was granted, and I wish everyone the same outcome.

I completely agree with everything you’ve said here.  I also worry that attempting to put all this pressure on the government may actually have a negative effect. They’re not going to start letting more in and reducing the queue times but they may end up saying we can’t be doing with all this shit we’re getting.  It’s quite possible that tons of emails and lobbying from ageing people wanting to move to the country quickly will just piss them all off. I understand people wanting to try and get the queue times lowered, I am in the queue myself.  I do think what’s put on the website regarding wait times should be made clearer as it’s not right to give people unrealistic timescales and it’s good that people are asking for that to be looked at. I also hope they shock us all and get a positive outcome regarding the queue times too. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ramot said:

Above all else, I'd like the government to be transparent. The website has false information that people are using to make big life decisions. This should be an easy fix. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I completely agree with everything you’ve said here.  I also worry that attempting to put all this pressure on the government may actually have a negative effect. They’re not going to start letting more in and reducing the queue times but they may end up saying we can’t be doing with all this shit we’re getting.  It’s quite possible that tons of emails and lobbying from ageing people wanting to move to the country quickly will just piss them all off. I understand people wanting to try and get the queue times lowered, I am in the queue myself.  I do think what’s put on the website regarding wait times should be made clearer as it’s not right to give people unrealistic timescales and it’s good that people are asking for that to be looked at. I also hope they shock us all and get a positive outcome regarding the queue times too. 

There was some correspondence from immi to one of the agents on here that suggested the only way to get action was to highlight this in the media. I feel it's a chance worth taking as I can't see how the situation could be worse (personal opinion). Big issue for me is actually lack of transparency. We made the decision to remain in Australia based on parents getting in (what we thought was a 4.5 year) line for the 457. Now the opportunity to return has passed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ollie1234 said:

There was some correspondence from immi to one of the agents on here that suggested the only way to get action was to highlight this in the media. I feel it's a chance worth taking as I can't see how the situation could be worse (personal opinion). Big issue for me is actually lack of transparency. We made the decision to remain in Australia based on parents getting in (what we thought was a 4.5 year) line for the 457. Now the opportunity to return has passed. 

The opportunity to return has never passed if you really want to go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

That’s good to know, hard to sit on the plane all of that time though! But it will be worth it 

Let's just hope that emigration is included in the list of essential reasons to leave the country!  It's hard to imagine it wouldn't be though.  I just hope we can remember all the things we now need to do before we fly - negative PCR test, Australian Travel Declaration, UK Travel Declaration, travel insurance - although I haven't figured that one out yet.  Not sure whether it needs to cover the period in quarantine or just the flight. Any ideas?