Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

16 minutes ago, NatS259 said:

Thanks - when are you booked to fly and who with if you don't mind me asking? Did you book direct? 🙂 

Sorry - I didn't really answer your question before.  We're booked to fly in April with Qatar and we used DialAFlight.  They appear to be very efficient and they answer the phone within seconds which is a bonus.  Hopefully everything will go smoothly but at least we've got someone else in our corner if not!  https://www.dialaflight.com   Good luck

3 hours ago, BargeUK said:

Sorry - I didn't really answer your question before.  We're booked to fly in April with Qatar and we used DialAFlight.  They appear to be very efficient and they answer the phone within seconds which is a bonus.  Hopefully everything will go smoothly but at least we've got someone else in our corner if not!  https://www.dialaflight.com  Good luck

Thanks! Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/01/2021 at 10:47, BargeUK said:

Do you mind me asking where you are having to go for your test?  I understand you can pay for a kit to be sent to your home but we are due to fly at 8am on a Tuesday morning so the 72 hour mark for us is Saturday morning and would mean we couldn't post it back in time as it takes up to 48 hours for the result.

I booked at a private clinic some time ago before this new rule came in. Just did a search on google for reputable company.

• Thanks 1

On 11/01/2021 at 12:18, TresOz said:

Thank’s Kitty. Think we would be really worried about returned flight’s getting cancelled, and being stuck in Singapore, for who know’s how long.

Did see on ‘The Project’ last night a really good coverage about the situation many of us are in, and how ridiculous it is. Really impressed with MP Julian Hill, he is really fighting our corner. Let’s hope something good comes of it, and Alex Hawke see’s sense and does the right thing. 

Edited by TresOz

Hello Folks!

New to this forum, and absolutely amazed at how helpful everyone is on this forum! 

I'm going through the threads to get as much info as I can, but just a couple of questions -

1 - Seems like there are 2 threads related to Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 143. This thread and the other one called "The Brand New PIO Parents Visa thread". Should I be using any one of them over the other for any particular reason? Just confused a bit...

2 - Applied for 143 in Nov 2018. What's the realistic timeline that I should expect to reach top of the queue? I know it's very hard to predict, but just some estimation based on your experience would be great.

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

22 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Hello Folks!

New to this forum, and absolutely amazed at how helpful everyone is on this forum! 

I'm going through the threads to get as much info as I can, but just a couple of questions -

1 - Seems like there are 2 threads related to Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 143. This thread and the other one called "The Brand New PIO Parents Visa thread". Should I be using any one of them over the other for any particular reason? Just confused a bit...

2 - Applied for 143 in Nov 2018. What's the realistic timeline that I should expect to reach top of the queue? I know it's very hard to predict, but just some estimation based on your experience would be great.

This one is for timelines the other is more general enquiries

Applications made before 1 July 2018 have the application date  as their “queue date”

Applications after that will be assessed before being given a queue date which could then be a later date still! 

Im June 2017 and before the queue calculator crashed and never reappeared it said there were 22900 in front of me and the govt have reduced the annual grants allowance to just 4500 a year - so I’ve waited 3.5 years already and doing the maths (22900 divided by 4500) seems to imply another 5 years - which I sincerely hope isn’t the case!!!

Your case may possibly be much longer as in May/June 2017 nearly 9000 applied - that nearly two years of applications at a annual grants of 4500

One of the agents (Alan Collett) who kindly pops in to help on here posted this - and you need to scroll down to where it says Download - this will open up a chart  showing application numbers by month. But be warned it’s a bit of a shocker

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers/

3 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Realistically you probably have 8 years still to wait.

@LindaH27 & @SusieRoo - Thanks so much for your replies. 

Alan Collett's chart is certainly very helpful, but ofcourse very shocking. I had really not expected such crazy wait times before joining this forum. 

When I submitted my application in Nov 2018,  I did receive an email about the application being accepted in about 2-3 weeks, but never really received a "Queue Date"as such. No word on any missing documents as well. So I'm as puzzled as many others here... 😞

Thank you once again for taking the time out to respond to me. 🙂

• Like 1

Sorry for posting this note on both threads - but not sure if everybody checks both the threads or not.

Just checking - Has anybody raised these issues (ridiculous wait-times for contributory visas and fake timelines on Govt website ) to any ministers or MPs? I haven't had a chance to go through the whole forum, but just wondering if it has been done before.

I have recently spoken to (and also written to ) a certain MP, and I sincerely hope that they will respond. All I'm hoping for is for them to take cognisance of this problem.

I know how terrible all politicians are, but this issue needs to be raised with them often - otherwise all of us will wait forever, and any Govt will continue to not act on it. 

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

Just checking - Has anybody raised these issues (ridiculous wait-times for contributory visas and fake timelines on Govt website ) to any ministers or MPs?

If you are going to raise it, then I should point out that the website does not show a "fake timeline".   If you say that, you're just going to get the response "it's not fake".  

The Govt website shows the timeline for visas which are currently being processed, rather than trying to predict future processing times.  For most visas this might not matter, but for visas with very long waiting times, it's misleading.  Therefore the request should be for the dept to change its policy so as to show predicted waiting times for visas submitted today, instead of actual waiting times based on experience. 

36 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you are going to raise it, then I should point out that the website does not show a "fake timeline".   If you say that, you're just going to get the response "it's not fake".  

The Govt website shows the timeline for visas which are currently being processed, rather than trying to predict future processing times.  For most visas this might not matter, but for visas with very long waiting times, it's misleading.  Therefore the request should be for the dept to change its policy so as to show predicted waiting times for visas submitted today, instead of actual waiting times based on experience. 

@Marisawright - Don't worry, I've used much formal and better langauge in the email I wrote to the MP - didn't use the word "fake"obviously, but certainly mentioned that those predicted timelines are very misleading, and also that there's absolutely no transparency from the department about any of this etc. etc.

4 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Sorry for posting this note on both threads - but not sure if everybody checks both the threads or not.

Just checking - Has anybody raised these issues (ridiculous wait-times for contributory visas and fake timelines on Govt website ) to any ministers or MPs? I haven't had a chance to go through the whole forum, but just wondering if it has been done before.

I have recently spoken to (and also written to ) a certain MP, and I sincerely hope that they will respond. All I'm hoping for is for them to take cognisance of this problem.

I know how terrible all politicians are, but this issue needs to be raised with them often - otherwise all of us will wait forever, and any Govt will continue to not act on it. 

Love that you state you think all politicians are terrible yet you’ve written to them asking for their help. 

6 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Love that you state you think all politicians are terrible yet you’ve written to them asking for their help. 

Well, the whole visa program is under their control, isn't it?  Atleast I am trying to contact people who can do something about it... rather than writing unnecessary snide comments here.

Edited by Sherlock
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Well, the whole visa program is under their control, isn't it?  Atleast I am trying to contact people who can do something about it... rather than writing unnecessary snide comments here.

Oh dear.  It was meant as funny sarcasm but strange that the truth behind it hit a nerve.  Nothing wrong with trying to do something about it but the ‘ridiculous’ parent queue times won’t change. The fact is they don’t want older people going out there to live, we are statistically an expensive drain on their country. It would be good if they gave clearer timescales, perhaps current ones and some form of predicted ones. I guess the problem is if they predicted someone applying today would take 10 years to get a visa and over the years they reduce the annual allocation by half then in 8 years time those who had it in their minds they had two years left would be moaning they’ve been mislead as they’ve still got 5 years left or whatever.  They probably can’t win on that and they probably don’t really care. 

Edited by Tulip1

13 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Oh dear.  It was meant as funny sarcasm but strange that the truth behind it hit a nerve.  Nothing wrong with trying to do something about it but the ‘ridiculous’ parent queue times won’t change. The fact is they don’t want older people going out there to live, we are statistically an expensive drain on their country. It would be good if they gave clearer timescales, perhaps current ones and some form of predicted ones. I guess the problem is if they predicted someone applying today would take 10 years to get a visa and over the years they reduce the annual allocation by half then in 8 years time those who had it in their minds they had two years left would be moaning they’ve been mislead as they’ve still got 5 years left or whatever.  They probably can’t win on that and they probably don’t really care. 

Best to keep the sarcasm out of here then 🙂

Whether the govt does something about this or not, they should be able to make the process a bit more transparent for sure - something as simple as posting the monthly statistics on the website, and/or showing the people their status in the queue. Simple issues that can be resolved with already available technology and manpower. We (Australia) are a "First-World"country after all ...

Anyway, as I said, I am simply trying to do something about it by asking questions. 🙂

Edited by Sherlock
  • Like 2

On 16/01/2021 at 17:55, Gurpreet Singh 93 said:

Hi 143 lodge may 2016 .

medical& aos 14 March 2020 

Aos done may 2020

Further documents done June 2020

Still waiting for 2nd vac and very stressed

You arent alone. I am also waiting for 2nd VAC for my parents. 
Dont know whats the wait. Have seen people who applied later than us getting 2nd VAC.

21 hours ago, Sherlock said:

I've written to many. 

• Julian Hill (Federal Minister for Bruce, who has been fighting to end the ridiculous need to fly offshore during a global pandemic, replied with sympathy but busy with his own constituents) 
  • Peter Dutton (Federal Minister for Home Affairs - no reply aside from auto-response) 
  • Alan Tudge (As suggested by someone here - no reply)
  • Mark McGowen (WA Premier - replied saying this was a federal matter - passed the book)
  • Lisa O'Malley (My local MP - no reply) 

There's no way I would have applied for an offshore visa if I had known the wait times were twice as long as stated on their website. It's unclear and misleading. So much so that 2 agents (who I paid to speak with throughout the decision making process) related exactly the same information to me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MELBNGSM said:

You arent alone. I am also waiting for 2nd VAC for my parents. 
Dont know whats the wait. Have seen people who applied later than us getting 2nd VAC.

same here, lodged date 09/05/2016 and I have noticed there are quite few applications whose applications are later than me got contacted few weeks ago for second VAC payment.

On 16/01/2021 at 17:55, Gurpreet Singh 93 said:

Hi 143 lodge may 2016 .

medical& aos 14 March 2020 

Aos done may 2020

Further documents done June 2020

Still waiting for 2nd vac and very stressed

same here, lodged date 09/05/2016 and still waiting for 2nd Vac payment. hopefully we all hear some good news soon!

9 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

I've written to many. 

• Julian Hill (Federal Minister for Bruce, who has been fighting to end the ridiculous need to fly offshore during a global pandemic, replied with sympathy but busy with his own constituents) 
  • Peter Dutton (Federal Minister for Home Affairs - no reply aside from auto-response) 
  • Alan Tudge (As suggested by someone here - no reply)
  • Mark McGowen (WA Premier - replied saying this was a federal matter - passed the book)
  • Lisa O'Malley (My local MP - no reply) 

There's no way I would have applied for an offshore visa if I had known the wait times were twice as long as stated on their website. It's unclear and misleading. So much so that 2 agents (who I paid to speak with throughout the decision making process) related exactly the same information to me. 

Alan Tudge has recently  been replaced by Alex Hawke I think 

Contributory visa lobby group??

I refer to recent data posted and comments regarding wait times for contributory visas. There does not seem to be much evidence of lobbying on this issue.

The Migration Program is starting to plan allocations for 2021/22 and invites public submissions to inform the planning process which must be submitted by 29th January 2021. See details and submission link at

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/reports-and-publications/submissions-and-discussion-papers/australia-2021-22-migration-program?_ga=2.2508084.548448393.1610869697-1485230910.1610869697

I attach my submission below. Do yours today

————————————————

I am a parent of a newly conferred Australian citizen and have recently successfully submitted an application for contributory parent visa 143. I wish to bring to your attention the growing wait time for contributory parent visas.

At the time of my application, the wait period was just under 5 years, with applications from May 2016 having just been released for processing. The monthly number of applications awaiting processing from June 2016 to September 2020 total 55,620. On the basis of your annual allocation of parent visas (4,500), even with some attrition, this implies a wait time of over 10 years.

In the recent past the wait time was 2-3 years but has rapidly increased. I hope you will give consideration in your forthcoming Migration Program planning process to reducing the wait time to levels appropriate to the principles underpinning the contributory visas.

————————————————

• Like 3

On 13/01/2021 at 18:52, Sherlock said:

Hello Folks!

Look at both pages! seems like use either one or both nowadays. No idea really.....probably about 6-7 more??? 😩😩