Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Update - will be booking my mums flight next week for March/April time. She is due to have her second vaccine end of March so will hopefully be flying after then. Awaiting her new passport so can update the visa as hers was due to expire, then will be doing the paperwork changes and booking!ย 
Willย keep everyone updates on the no doubt stressful process!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KittyMB said:

@TresOzย  We purchased tickets through expedia and I vaguely recall seeing travel insurance being offered, I think it was also offered when I was trying to book through Singapore Airlines website.ย 

The issue is No travel insurance will cover you for COVID-19 related, whether illness, cancellations, etc, as they're all specifically stating that it is an excluded event. You're looking at travel insurance as a precaution, say for example if someone were to make the trip and unexpectedly pass away from a heart attack on the plane (touch on wood).ย 

Feel free to PM me if you need any additional guidance, there is a flight coming back on the same night of the day they arrive over there, where possible, try to take that one, they don't need to be out of the country any extra time as they'll already have the visa as soon as they're across immigration.ย 

If you're still in talks with WA Parent Centre, can I suggest you ask them if they could do the same via NZ? It'll save you the quarantine, ours happened too fast to explore that option but I don't see why you couldn't do the same, Fly out of Brisbane to Aucklandย and then back to Melbourne/Sydney - you could then fly straight up to Brisbane without having to quarantine. I guess the benefit of Singapore is that is a tried and tested process that many of us have gone through.ย 

Also, if I can give you any advice at all, is to stick to your guns and ask for a contact number for the WA parent Centre, in case you have issues at the Airport. My experience is that initially they told me 'no number, there are protocols in place to make it all happen, don't worry', eventually I got a phone number and we needed it, as soon as we got to Airport, airline said they didn't know anything about it and to go away.ย ย ย 

Many thankโ€™s for all your advice Kitty, weย were all ready to book our flightโ€™s forย Transiting to Singapore for the 18th January, but after todayโ€™s speech from Scott Morrison regarding travelling, the transiting isnโ€™t going to work for we will have to have the Virus check whilst in Singapore before returning, soย we will not be able to do this. At a total loss now what to do and so frustrated by it all. Iโ€™m sure this has now affected lotโ€™s of other peopleโ€™s plans!ย 

4 minutes ago, TresOz said:

Many thankโ€™s for all your advice Kitty, weย were all ready to book our flightโ€™s forย Transiting to Singapore for the 18th January, but after todayโ€™s speech from Scott Morrison regarding travelling, the transiting isnโ€™t going to work for we will have to have the Virus check whilst in Singapore before returning, soย we will not be able to do this. At a total loss now what to do and so frustrated by it all. Iโ€™m sure this has now affected lotโ€™s of other peopleโ€™s plans!ย 

Thereโ€™s also a 50% reduction in the numbers allowed to arrive so you might ย not get a return flight !ย 

Edited by LindaH27

I know, then what do you do! Donโ€™t think anyone will be flying anywhere for a whileย again now. So we will be having to do our Medicals again in February, and had to pay another 2,159 dollars for more Visitorโ€™s Visaโ€™s. This really is never ending.ย 

Edited by TresOz

18 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Thereโ€™s also a 50% reduction in the numbers allowed to arrive so you might ย not get a return flight !ย 

I know, then what do you do! Donโ€™t think anyone will be flying anywhere for a while again now. So we will be having to do our Medicals again now in February, and recently had to pay another 2,159 dollars for Visitorโ€™s Visaโ€™s. This really is never ending!ย 

1 hour ago, TresOz said:

I know, then what do you do! Donโ€™t think anyone will be flying anywhere for a while again now. So we will be having to do our Medicals again now in February, and recently had to pay another 2,159 dollars for Visitorโ€™s Visaโ€™s. This really is never ending!ย 

Could you not get a test the day before you're due to depart? Say you leave on a Wednesday, you test on Monday night or early Tuesday (depending on timing for results up there)? When you're boarding to leave, they're checking you in to fly back so you already have the negative test?ย 

I wouldn't be overly concerned with numbers being halved, mostly, because there are not that many people coming through Singapore and Singapore is fairly COVID safe, I'd expect the numbers to reduce in flights from riskier countries, if you can find the plane ticket, you're fairly ok to rely on it (My feeling)

I really understand your being hesitant, the issue is that this is a moving beast so potentially you don't do it now and something else will come up later and so on.ย 

All my good vibes for an optimal resolution for you guys.ย 

27 minutes ago, KittyMB said:

I wouldn't be overly concerned with numbers being halved, mostly, because there are not that many people coming through Singapore and Singapore is fairly COVID safe, I'd expect the numbers to reduce in flights from riskier countries, if you can find the plane ticket, you're fairly ok to rely on it (My feeling)

The number reduction applies toย all international arrivals not just those from UKย 

On 07/01/2021 at 12:08, kimboslice said:

HI all

We fly to Australia onย  143 visa on the 16.1.21. i have cecked and double checked that we do not need a negative corona test to fly to Doha and then onto Brisbane to carry out our 14 days quarantine. Can anyone that has maybe travelled in the last few days just clarify this please.

ย 

It looks like we might just need a rapid test for the time being - I too have been checking Qatar's website regularly and the UK is not in the list for the compulsory PCR test.ย  I'm not sure how long before the flight this test is needed or where to get one though.ย  We're flying from Manchester but not till April....

Key moments from the National Cabinet press conference after meeting on UK coronavirus strain - ABC News

Tests before and after flights

From now, anyone from overseas coming back to Australia will have to have a rapid COVID test before they leave and prove they've returned a negative result.

If they test positive they โ€” and any of their close contacts who are also planning on flying home โ€” will be banned from boarding a flight back to Australia.

On 07/01/2021 at 11:15, MELBNGSM said:

Congratulations. Also eagerly waiting for Second VAC.ย 

Patience and your turn is very close. It's been seriously hard to find suitable flights without paying a fortune. Don't think my folks will be able to come until at least mid year.ย 

We paid 2nd VAC on 08Jan21 and got granted the visa same day (Yay!!)

13 hours ago, BargeUK said:

It looks like we might just need a rapid test for the time being - I too have been checking Qatar's website regularly and the UK is not in the list for the compulsory PCR test.ย  I'm not sure how long before the flight this test is needed or where to get one though.ย  We're flying from Manchester but not till April....

Key moments from the National Cabinet press conference after meeting on UK coronavirus strain - ABC News

Tests before and after flights

From now, anyone from overseas coming back to Australia will have to have a rapid COVID test before they leave and prove they've returned a negative result.

If they test positive they โ€” and any of their close contacts who are also planning on flying home โ€” will be banned from boarding a flight back to Australia.

Is the rapid test just a normal one where you can go to your local test centre for free, or do we need one from a private health care body and pay for it.

Hi

This statement from the Australian Dept of Health gives more details of requirements

Passenger pre-departure testing

Passengers travelling to Australia must be tested for COVID-19 72 hours or less prior to departure, and display evidence of a negative test result. PCR testing is required. Exemptions from this requirement may be available in extenuating circumstances including use of rapid antigen testing in rare cases. Members of a travelling party who have been close contacts (e.g. household contacts) of a traveller who has a positive test result will also not be allowed to travel to Australia until all members of the party are no longer infectious.

15 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Hi

This statement from the Australian Dept of Health gives more details of requirements

Passenger pre-departure testing

Passengers travelling to Australia must be tested for COVID-19 72 hours or less prior to departure, and display evidence of a negative test result. PCR testing is required. Exemptions from this requirement may be available in extenuating circumstances including use of rapid antigen testing in rare cases. Members of a travelling party who have been close contacts (e.g. household contacts) of a traveller who has a positive test result will also not be allowed to travel to Australia until all members of the party are no longer infectious.

Itโ€™s the pcr wording thatโ€™s confusing, is that a local free test or one you have to pay for. Either one you get a certificateย 

23 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

Itโ€™s the pcr wording thatโ€™s confusing, is that a local free test or one you have to pay for. Either one you get a certificateย 

Hi Kimbslice

There are two types of tests. Rapid antigen tests and PCR tests

The PCR test is the 'gold standard' test which you have to have done to get a 'fit to fly certificate'. In the UK this is only available if you pay at a private clinic as I understand that the NHS free rapid tests are not accepted.

I am due to fly to Perth on 5th Februry and have a PCR test booked within the 72 hour timeframe of my depature. A PCR test can cost upto ยฃ200 per person!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Hi Kimbslice

There are two types of tests. Rapid antigen tests and PCR tests

The PCR test is the 'gold standard' test which you have to have done to get a 'fit to fly certificate'. In the UK this is only available if you pay at a private clinic as I understand that the NHS free rapid tests are not accepted.

I am due to fly to Perth on 5th Februry and have a PCR test booked within the 72 hour timeframe of my depature. A PCR test can cost upto ยฃ200 per person!

ย 

So hopefully if you pay for a private test they make sure you get the results in time!ย  I hope there are plenty of places to get one as we live 30 miles from the nearest city and don't have a car.ย  We do have a walk-in test centre in our town now so hopefully we'll be able to pay for a private one there but I'm not sure if it has to be from an approved clinic somewhere.ย  Just another little thing to worry about!ย  I think the rapid ones are available at airports so it would be interesting to know what the 'extenuating circumstances' are where a rapid test is sufficient

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 15:41, KittyMB said:

Could you not get a test the day before you're due to depart? Say you leave on a Wednesday, you test on Monday night or early Tuesday (depending on timing for results up there)? When you're boarding to leave, they're checking you in to fly back so you already have the negative test?ย 

I really understand your being hesitant, the issue is that this is a moving beast so potentially you don't do it now and something else will come up later and so on.ย 

All my good vibes for an optimal resolution for you guys.ย 

Thankโ€™s Kitty. Think we would be really worried about returned flightโ€™s getting cancelled, and being stuck in Singapore, for who knowโ€™s how long.

Did see on โ€˜The Projectโ€™ last night a really good coverage about the situation many of us are in, and how ridiculous it is. Really impressed withย MP Julian Hill, heย is really fighting our corner. Letโ€™s hope something good comes of it, andย Alex Hawke seeโ€™s sense and does the right thing.ย 

• Like 3

On 09/01/2021 at 19:34, Yorkie said:

Do you mind me asking where you are having to go for your test?ย  I understand you can pay for a kit to be sent to your home but we are due to fly at 8am on a Tuesday morning so the 72 hour mark for us is Saturday morning and would mean we couldn't post it back in time as it takes up to 48 hours for the result.

8 minutes ago, NatS259 said:

Has anyone had any luck booking a flight since recent visa approval and getting here/not getting bumped so far? Have you booked independently or through an agent? The hurdles never end!

Try Jennie at British travel, shesย helped a lots of people with flights. ย Email ask@britishtravel.com.au for a price. Itโ€™s usually with Qatar air, she quoted us $5200 (each) from Heathrow to Perth. Thatsย economy class but no guarantee you wonโ€™t get bumped,ย before this new strain of virus she wasย advertisingย non bump economy seats ย but I havenโ€™t seen her offer this since ย 

Iโ€™ve looked at flights online and can only get a price for business class and I think thatโ€™s what we will have to reluctantly book to guarantee we get there.ย 
ย 

17 minutes ago, NatS259 said:

Has anyone had any luck booking a flight since recent visa approval and getting here/not getting bumped so far? Have you booked independently or through an agent? The hurdles never end!

There are a few of us who are booked to fly but haven't actually reached the date yet so we're just keeping everything crossed that we don't have last minute issues.ย ย 

1 hour ago, BargeUK said:

Do you mind me asking where you are having to go for your test?ย  I understand you can pay for a kit to be sent to your home but we are due to fly at 8am on a Tuesday morning so the 72 hour mark for us is Saturday morning and would mean we couldn't post it back in time as it takes up to 48 hours for the result.

Thereโ€™s a list of approved private testers on the government site.ย 
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjGtuLn6ZPuAhXCiVwKHaAlDeQQFjAAegQIBBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Fgovernment%2Fpublications%2Flist-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing%2Flist-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing&usg=AOvVaw2Cqt6RsdpzNY55vFzW8TrP

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Jane said:

I think that list is mainly for getting a test to get out of isolation early when you come back to the UK but it probably works both ways - thanks for this

Thanks, yes have been in touch with Jennie. Coming in under $3k London - Brisbane, April & May, can book the same flights direct (Singapore or Emirates) for a fewย hundred dollars cheaper, so wondering what to do if no guarantee of not getting bumped now. I'll ask her if that's the case now. I get the impression she is a very busy lady so don't want to waste her time or irritate her with questions!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, BargeUK said:

There are a few of us who are booked to fly but haven't actually reached the date yet so we're just keeping everything crossed that we don't have last minute issues.ย ย 

Thanks - when are you booked to fly and who with if you don't mind me asking? Did you book direct? ๐Ÿ™‚ย