theballies

Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

On 09/10/2020 at 21:38, Flangela100 said:

Thanks for the info, I can live in hope!

I think that if, as a healthy older person, you're taking all you're wealth to Australia, then the contribution to the economy is considerably more than a youngster!  This seems to be forgotten.

Do also bear in mind that even being eligible for Medicare, any medications have to be paid for, some are very low cost, others are discounted to $40 (currently), so if your parents both require regular medication they could face quite a hefty bill each month.  Opticians/dentists/hearing aids too which are not generally covered by Medicare can be expensive - I'm speaking of Victoria so it might be different in other States.

143 Application Lodged 24th June 2014; Acknowledgement 6th February 2015; Form 80, Police Checks & Medical requested 21st Sept 2016; AOS Lodged 29th November 2016; 2nd VAC paid 16th December 2016; VISA GRANTED 20th December 2016.

Heading to Wollert "The place where possums are found", Victoria (eventually)

"Eventually" has become a reality - at long last the house is sold, the car is spoken for, the Movecube is coming on 19th September and I'll be heading Down Under on 21st via Royal Brunei.  Arrive in Mebourne 3.30 a.m. their time on Monday.  😎

18 minutes ago, Sadge said:

Do also bear in mind that even being eligible for Medicare, any medications have to be paid for, some are very low cost, others are discounted to $40 (currently), so if your parents both require regular medication they could face quite a hefty bill each month.  Opticians/dentists/hearing aids too which are not generally covered by Medicare can be expensive - I'm speaking of Victoria so it might be different in other States.

It’s a good point. Pensioners get so much free in the U.K. such as what you’ve mentioned above (not sure about dentist but the other things are free) and from what I understand that’s not the case in Australia. 

55 minutes ago, Sadge said:

@sid17, that's a good point.  Australian pensioners get cheap prescriptions, but your parents wouldn't be eligible for that on a bridging visa.   No free bus pass either!    Opticians/dentists/hearing aids would be at full cost.    It would be worth looking at what their annual requirements are for those things and adding them up.

Bottom line - the desire to be with family is understandable but you all need to appreciate the substantial extra costs involved - and also, the decline in their income over time due to the frozen pension.  Unless your parents are wealthy, you'll need to factor in the probability that you'll need to contribute some support as time goes on.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

So someone from 24/02/2016 got their grant on 20/10/2020 as per the excel sheet. Is that user on this forum? name - Tomale

Hi Guys,

I am newbie here, was reading the posts before me so thought share my timeline with you guys as an input for each others help. I applied my parents 173 on 4thJune 2016. Received acknowledgment in 2016 but have not heard anything after that. Will update once i receive anything. I am hoping it pretty soon though as they have cleared files till May as per system generated update. Fingers cross. Cheers!!

23 minutes ago, Newbie_Deol said:

Hi Guys,

I am newbie here, was reading the posts before me so thought share my timeline with you guys as an input for each others help. I applied my parents 173 on 4thJune 2016. Received acknowledgment in 2016 but have not heard anything after that. Will update once i receive anything. I am hoping it pretty soon though as they have cleared files till May as per system generated update. Fingers cross. Cheers!!

Hi

i applied for 173 in April 16. I haven’t heard anything yet. Don’t trust the system. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Newbie_Deol said:

Hi Guys,

No they haven’t cleared them - they’re still working on May 2016 but  May / June that year had a lot of applications so it could be stuck on that a long time.

Only 4500 allowed for grant this year and suspect a lot are spoken for as many people from January 2016 onwards have provided docs and paid AOS and still waiting. 

4500 is the cap. Last year the cap was 6000 but they only allowed 3730 from among 173,143, 864 and 884 contributory visas and just 669 from non contributory 103 and 804 and the refusal rate soared from  an average 6% refusal rate to over 18%

Still can’t enter on 173 as it is classed as a temporary visa as it’s only valid for two years. 

Edited by LindaH27

143 lodged 21 June 2017

6 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

No they haven’t cleared them - they’re still working on May 2016 but  May / June that year had a lot of applications so it could be stuck on that a long time.

Only 4500 allowed for grant this year and suspect a lot are spoken for as many people from January 2016 onwards have provided docs and paid AOS and still waiting. 

4500 is the cap. Last year the cap was 6000 but they only allowed 3730 from among 173,143, 864 and 884 contributory visas and just 669 from non contributory 103 and 804 and the refusal rate soared from  an average 6% refusal rate to over 18%

Still can’t enter on 173 as it is classed as a temporary visa as it’s only valid for two years. 

I think successful 173 applicants can apply straight away for the PR/143 from offshore so would be able to enter once/if granted. 

173 visa application 26/10/2016

acknowledged 31/10/2016

4 minutes ago, JoMichellle said:

I think successful 173 applicants can apply straight away for the PR/143 from offshore so would be able to enter once/if granted. 

Yes you can and they seem to be doing them quite quickly too ! Of course then you have to try and find a flight given that so many Australians are stranded abroad and be prepared to pay $2500 upwards per person for 2 weeks quarantine I n a hotel room. But that would hopefully be the last hurdle. 

143 lodged 21 June 2017

Thank you Linda for confirming and for the additional information.  I think I’ve probably still got a two to three year wait ahead of me anyway. Seems a ludicrous amount of time when I’m a October 2016 applicant and they are apparently looking at May 2016 files. 

acknowledged 31/10/2016

17 minutes ago, JoMichellle said:

Thank you Linda for confirming and for the additional information.  I think I’ve probably still got a two to three year wait ahead of me anyway. Seems a ludicrous amount of time when I’m a October 2016 applicant and they are apparently looking at May 2016 files. 

The whole parent visa situation is appalling right now. If immi had been upfront about the long wait times I think some parents may not have bothered to be honest. Plus they’ve been capping the amount of visas each year and even then they haven’t even reached the number allowed and the refusal rate tripled last year from 6% to 18%! 

Its also allowed certain loopholes too. For instance 804, 884 and  864 applicants can apply onshore and then be given a bridging visa to stay in Australia whilst waiting for their grants. This is especially noted as a “loophole “ in the case of 804 because its a non contributory visa so doesn’t cost anywhere near the amount that 173 and 143 pay. I’m certainly not getting at those who utilise that loophole - it’s there so people will obviously use it. 

I have read though that’s it’s something they will probably be looking at as there so many now on bridging visas as mentioned by Kristina Keneally  the Shadow  Home Affairs minister  and also some anger from applicants  that 173 and 143 have to wait offshore. In fact 173 are probably going to have to wait longer for PR still unless they apply for and are granted 143 quickly. 

I can see  that some aged parents faced with waiting many more years will -as soon as the borders open  - change their application to go for 864 / 804 instead! I might even consider doing it myself if the wait times continue to spiral out of control! 

• Like 1

143 lodged 21 June 2017

I wouldn’t blame you Linda, do what you can! I’ve still got ten years before I retire and I want to work. I’m in Finance and had thought, when I applied, I’d be a mere 55 when I got to Sydney with at least ten years work ahead of me and paying tax in to the system. At this rate I’ll be sixty before I get there. So frustrating! 

acknowledged 31/10/2016

10 minutes ago, JoMichellle said:

I wouldn’t blame you Linda, do what you can! I’ve still got ten years before I retire and I want to work. I’m in Finance and had thought, when I applied, I’d be a mere 55 when I got to Sydney with at least ten years work ahead of me and paying tax in to the system. At this rate I’ll be sixty before I get there. So frustrating! 

Yes so many hopes and dreams have been dashed - but I guess we are just seen as numbers !! 
Let’s hope things can change for the better   One day. 

• Sad 1

143 lodged 21 June 2017

On 22/10/2020 at 23:31, Samda said:

Hi

i applied for 173 in April 16. I haven’t heard anything yet. Don’t trust the system. 

Really 🥺 if yours were April 2016, and you have not heard anything yet looks like mine june 2016 will be open close to next Financial year like May/June 2021...so sad they told 24 months timeframe when i applied back then and it will be 5 years soon 🔜.... tough luck...

On 23/10/2020 at 06:11, JoMichellle said:

Yes its true once you get 173 straight away you can apply for 143 and i heard usually it comes with outcome in about 2-3 months. 

On 23/10/2020 at 01:26, LindaH27 said:

I can see  that some aged parents faced with waiting many more years will -as soon as the borders open  - change their application to go for 864 / 804 instead!

One cannot have the no further stay condition on visitor visa right to be able to change to 864/805?

143 acknowledgement 16th July 2018

Just now, Arti said:

One cannot have the no further stay condition on visitor visa right to be able to change to 864/805?

Yes as far as I know but UK and certain  other countries are able to apply for e-visitor online which is free and does not ( usually!) have  the no Further stay condition on. 

• Like 1

143 lodged 21 June 2017

6 minutes ago, Arti said:

List of countries 

You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries to be eligible for the eVisitor:

Austria

Belgium

Bulgaria

Croatia

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Monaco

The Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Republic of San Marino

Slovak Republic

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom – British Citizen

Vatican City

• Like 1

143 lodged 21 June 2017

18 minutes ago, Arti said:

If they are in Oz they can apply to have it waived in this current CV pandemic 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/no-further-stay-waiver.aspx

• Like 1

143 lodged 17 March 2016. Perth bound

5 Feb 20 request for further info.11 Feb - Medical /Form 80. 17 Feb -AoS submitted. 27 Feb -Police checks. 4 Mar -BG requested. 6 Mar - bond cert to Centrelink.13 Mar AoS approved

12 NOV 20 -2ND VAC REQUEST !

34 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

If they are in Oz they can apply to have it waived in this current CV pandemic 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/no-further-stay-waiver.aspx

You can apply but may not have it granted especially if flights home are available 

Travellers affected by COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) restrictions

There has always been an expectation that temporary visa holders are able to support themselves while in Australia. That expectation remains. The Government encourages temporary visa holders who can’t support themselves, to return home where they can. While international travel options have become more limited, departure is still possible for many.

143 lodged 21 June 2017

On 22/10/2020 at 20:35, JoMichellle said:

We have been waiting 4 years for our 143 visa which we applied for on 31/10/2016!  As you say, we are ludicrously so near and yet so far!   Following the sale of our house, we have been living (in what we thought would be fairly short-term rented accommodation)  with many of our belongings in Storage for 2.6 yrs, and now it looks like being at least 2 years longer, or possibly more!

We are wondering about the 870 visa, just to get over there before it is too late!  We are in our mid 70’s so time is not on our side! Of course we would have to wait until Australian Borders are open again in order to apply.

A really difficult situation and it really is impossible to make balanced decisions without proper information!  That surely is not such an unreasonable request!!!   If only we knew where we really are in the process!  I wish they would re-introduce the Calculator to give us some idea. At the end of May it showed there were 10,450 in front of us. Hard to know what to do ....

Just despairing!

Edited by Juniper
Omission

Application 31st October 2016. First VAC confirmed Nov 2nd 2016. Parents Contributory visa 143

50 minutes ago, Juniper said:

We have been waiting 4 years for our 143 visa which we applied for on 31/10/2016!  As you say, we are ludicrously so near and yet so far!   Following the sale of our house, we have been living (in what we thought would be fairly short-term rented accommodation)  with many of our belongings in Storage for 2.6 yrs, and now it looks like being at least 2 years longer, or possibly more!

We are wondering about the 870 visa, just to get over there before it is too late!  We are in our mid 70’s so time is not on our side! Of course we would have to wait until Australian Borders are open again in order to apply.

A really difficult situation and it really is impossible to make balanced decisions without proper information!  That surely is not such an unreasonable request!!!   If only we knew where we really are in the process!  I wish they would re-introduce the Calculator to give us some idea. At the end of May it showed there were 10,450 in front of us. Hard to know what to do ....

Just despairing!

Well your date and my date give a good idea of how rapidly the queue is growing ! 31/10/16 there were 10450. Less than 9 months later 21/06/17 the queue  had more than doubled to 22900 - an extra 12450 - and 9000 of those were just in May and June 2017. 

Just those  9000 Alone on the current cap  of 4500 will take 2 years to process - horrendous thought !! 

Its hard to accept and even harder when you try to tell people and they refuse to believe you and say well my agent says it’s 4 years! Surely those agents have the same access to the numbers that Joe Blogs can find online ?? 

Despite feeling sorry for myself and you @Juniper and others on this forum , I think it’s even worse for those who started the process after 1st June 2018, who probably don’t know, and won’t want to believe that their applications will be subjected to a queue date that could add a further two or three years to their wait times. We weren’t told the correct wait times - 18-24 months in my case- and I doubt very much that post June 2018 applicants have been warned about the new assessment for queuing. 

There really should be some honesty and clarity given to prospective applicants so that they can make a decision whether or not to apply. It’s so hard to see new posters writing excitedly about the fact that they’ve put an application in - and it’s obvious they have no idea of the reality. 

@Juniper have you consider going over on visitor visa when the borders open and changing  to 804 or 864? The way the queue is being drawn out and the ages we are ( I’m very late 60s) It’s likely we would never get PR BUT we would be onshore with our families !! 

Edited by LindaH27
Spelling

143 lodged 21 June 2017

5 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Well your date and my date give a good idea of how rapidly the queue is growing ! 31/10/16 there were 10450. Less than 9 months later 21/06/17 the queue  had more than doubled to 22900 - an extra 12450 - and 9000 of those were just in May and June 2017. 

Just those  9000 Alone on the current cap  of 4500 will take 2 years to process - horrendous thought !! 

Its hard to accept and even harder when you try to tell people and they refuse to believe you and say well my agent says it’s 4 years! Surely those agents have the same access to the numbers that Joe Blogs can find online ?? 

Despite feeling sorry for myself and you @Juniper and others on this forum , I think it’s even worse for those who started the process after 1st June 2018, who probably don’t know, and won’t want to believe that their applications will be subjected to a queue date that could add a further two or three years to their wait times. We weren’t told the correct wait times - 18-24 months in my case- and I doubt very much that post June 2018 applicants have been warned about the new assessment for queuing. 

There really should be some honesty and clarity given to prospective applicants so that they can make a decision whether or not to apply. It’s so hard to see new posters writing excitedly about the fact that they’ve put an application in - and it’s obvious they have no idea of the reality. 

@Juniper have you consider going over on visitor visa when the borders open and changing  to 804 or 864? The way the queue is being drawn out and the ages we are ( I’m very late 60s) It’s likely we would never get PR BUT we would be onshore with our families !! 

Hi Guys,

Just curious where you guys are getting this info like MAY-JUNE 2016 had 9000 together or any other number referring here, could you pls help me with the link....

thanks.