Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

On 09/10/2020 at 21:38, Flangela100 said:

Thanks for the info, I can live in hope!

I think that if, as a healthy older person, you're taking all you're wealth to Australia, then the contribution to the economy is considerably more than a youngster!Β  This seems to be forgotten.

Do also bear in mind that even being eligible forΒ Medicare, any medications have to be paid for, some are very low cost, others are discounted to $40 (currently), so if your parents both require regular medication they could face quite a hefty bill each month. Β Opticians/dentists/hearing aids too which are not generally covered by Medicare can be expensiveΒ - I'm speaking of Victoria so it might be different in other States.

18 minutes ago, Sadge said:

Do also bear in mind that even being eligible forΒ Medicare, any medications have to be paid for, some are very low cost, others are discounted to $40 (currently), so if your parents both require regular medication they could face quite a hefty bill each month. Β Opticians/dentists/hearing aids too which are not generally covered by Medicare can be expensiveΒ - I'm speaking of Victoria so it might be different in other States.

It’s a good point. Pensioners get so much free in the U.K. such as whatΒ you’ve mentioned above (notΒ sure about dentist but the other things are free)Β and from what I understand that’s not the case in Australia.Β 

55 minutes ago, Sadge said:

@sid17, that's a good point.Β  Australian pensioners get cheap prescriptions, but your parents wouldn't be eligible for that on a bridging visa.Β  Β No free bus pass either!Β  Β  Opticians/dentists/hearing aids would be at full cost.Β  Β  It would be worth looking at what their annual requirements are for those things and adding them up.

Bottom line - the desire to be with family is understandable but you all need to appreciate the substantial extra costs involved - and also, the decline in their income over time due to the frozen pension.Β  Unless your parents are wealthy, you'll need to factor in the probability that you'll need to contribute some support as time goes on.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I am newbie here, was reading the posts before me so thought share my timeline with you guys as an input for each others help. I applied my parents 173 on 4thJune 2016. Received acknowledgment in 2016 but have not heard anything after that. Will update once i receive anything. I am hoping it pretty soon though as they have cleared files till May as per system generated update. Fingers cross. Cheers!!

23 minutes ago, Newbie_Deol said:

Hi Guys,

I am newbie here, was reading the posts before me so thought share my timeline with you guys as an input for each others help. I applied my parents 173 on 4thJune 2016. Received acknowledgment in 2016 but have not heard anything after that. Will update once i receive anything. I am hoping it pretty soon though as they have cleared files till May as per system generated update. Fingers cross. Cheers!!

Hi

i applied for 173Β in April 16. I haven’tΒ heard anything yet. Don’t trust the system.Β 
Β 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Newbie_Deol said:

Hi Guys,

No they haven’t cleared them - they’re still working on May 2016 but Β May /Β June that year had a lot of applications so it could be stuck on that a long time.
Β 

Only 4500 allowed for grant this year and suspect a lot are spoken for as many people from January 2016 onwards have provided docs and paid AOS and still waiting.Β 
Β 

4500 is the cap. Last year the cap was 6000 but they only allowed 3730 from among 173,143, 864 and 884 contributory visas and just 669 from non contributory 103 and 804 and the refusal rate soared fromΒ Β an average 6% refusal rate to over 18%
Β 

Still can’t enter onΒ 173 asΒ it is classed as aΒ temporary visa as it’s onlyΒ valid forΒ two years.Β 

Edited by LindaH27

6 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

No they haven’t cleared them - they’re still working on May 2016 but Β May /Β June that year had a lot of applications so it could be stuck on that a long time.
Β 

Only 4500 allowed for grant this year and suspect a lot are spoken for as many people from January 2016 onwards have provided docs and paid AOS and still waiting.Β 
Β 

4500 is the cap. Last year the cap was 6000 but they only allowed 3730 from among 173,143, 864 and 884 contributory visas and just 669 from non contributory 103 and 804 and the refusal rate soared fromΒ Β an average 6% refusal rate to over 18%
Β 

Still can’t enter onΒ 173 asΒ it is classed as aΒ temporary visa as it’s onlyΒ valid forΒ two years.Β 

I thinkΒ successfulΒ 173 applicantsΒ can apply straight away for the PR/143Β from offshoreΒ so would be able to enter once/ifΒ granted.Β 

4 minutes ago, JoMichellle said:

I thinkΒ successfulΒ 173 applicantsΒ can apply straight away for the PR/143Β from offshoreΒ so would be able to enter once/ifΒ granted.Β 

Yes you can and they seem to be doing them quite quickly too ! Of course then you have to try and find a flight given that soΒ many Australians are stranded abroad and be prepared to pay $2500 upwards per person for 2 weeks quarantine I n aΒ hotel room. ButΒ that would hopefully be the last hurdle.Β 

Thank youΒ Linda for confirming and for the additional information.Β Β I think I’ve probably still got a two to three year wait ahead of me anyway. Seems a ludicrous amount of time when I’m aΒ October 2016 applicant and they are apparently looking at May 2016 files.Β 

17 minutes ago, JoMichellle said:

Thank youΒ Linda for confirming and for the additional information.Β Β I think I’ve probably still got a two to three year wait ahead of me anyway. Seems a ludicrous amount of time when I’m aΒ October 2016 applicant and they are apparently looking at May 2016 files.Β 

The whole parent visa situation is appalling right now. If immi had been upfront about the long wait times I think some parents may not have bothered to be honest. Plus they’ve been cappingΒ the amount of visas eachΒ year and even then they haven’t even reached the number allowed and the refusal rate tripled last year from 6% to 18%!Β 

Its also allowed certain loopholes too. For instance 804, 884 andΒ Β 864 applicants can apply onshore and thenΒ be given a bridging visa to stay in Australia whilst waiting forΒ their grants. This is especially noted as a β€œloophole β€œ in the case of 804 because its a non contributory visa so doesn’t cost anywhere near the amount that 173 and 143 pay. I’m certainly not getting at those who utilise that loophole - it’s there so people will obviously use it.Β 

I have read though that’s it’s something they will probably be looking at as there so many now on bridging visas as mentioned by Kristina KeneallyΒ Β the ShadowΒ Β HomeΒ Affairs ministerΒ Β and also some anger fromΒ applicants Β that 173 and 143 have to wait offshore. In fact 173Β are probably going to have to wait longer for PR still unless they apply for and are granted 143 quickly.Β 

I can seeΒ Β that some aged parents faced with waiting many more years will -as soon as theΒ borders open Β -Β change their application to go for 864 / 804 instead! I might even consider doing it myself if the wait times continue to spiral out of control!Β 

I wouldn’t blame you Linda, do what you can!Β I’ve still gotΒ ten years before I retire and I want toΒ work. I’m in Finance and had thought,Β when I applied,Β I’d be a mereΒ 55 when I got to Sydney with at least ten years work ahead of me and paying tax in toΒ the system. At this rate I’ll be sixty before I get there.Β So frustrating!Β 

10 minutes ago, JoMichellle said:

I wouldn’t blame you Linda, do what you can!Β I’ve still gotΒ ten years before I retire and I want toΒ work. I’m in Finance and had thought,Β when I applied,Β I’d be a mereΒ 55 when I got to Sydney with at least ten years work ahead of me and paying tax in toΒ the system. At this rate I’ll be sixty before I get there.Β So frustrating!Β 

Yes so many hopes and dreams have been dashed - but I guess we are just seen as numbers !!Β 
Let’s hope things can change for theΒ better Β  One day.Β 

• Sad 1

On 22/10/2020 at 23:31, Samda said:

Hi

i applied for 173Β in April 16. I haven’tΒ heard anything yet. Don’t trust the system.Β 
Β 

Really πŸ₯Ί if yours were April 2016, and you have not heard anything yetΒ looks like mine june 2016 will be open close to next Financial year like May/June 2021ο»Ώο»Ώ...so sad they told 24 months timeframeΒ when i applied back then and it will be 5 years soonΒ πŸ”œ.... tough luck...

On 23/10/2020 at 06:11, JoMichellle said:

Yes its true once you get 173 straight away you can apply for 143 and i heard usually it comes with outcome in about 2-3 months.Β 

On 23/10/2020 at 01:26, LindaH27 said:

I can seeΒ Β ο»Ώthat some aged parents faced with waiting many more yearsο»Ώ ο»Ώwill -asο»Ώ soon aο»Ώs theΒ borders open Β -Β change their application to go for ο»Ώ864ο»Ώ /ο»Ώ ο»Ώ804ο»Ώ ο»Ώο»Ώinsteadο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώ!ο»Ώο»Ώ

One cannot have the no further stay condition on visitor visa right to be able to change to 864/805?

Just now, Arti said:

One cannot have the no further stay condition on visitor visa right to be able to change to 864/805?

Yes as far as I know but UK and certainΒ Β other countries are able to apply for e-visitor online which is free and does not (Β usually!) haveΒ Β the no Further stay condition on.Β 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arti said:

List of countriesΒ 

You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries to be eligible for the eVisitor:

Austria

Belgium

Bulgaria

Croatia

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Monaco

The Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Republic of San Marino

Slovak Republic

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom – British Citizen

Vatican City

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

If they are in Oz they can apply to have it waived in this current CV pandemicΒ 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/no-further-stay-waiver.aspx

You can apply but may not have it granted especially if flights home are availableΒ 

Travellers affected by COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) restrictions

There has always been an expectation that temporary visa holders are able to support themselves while in Australia. That expectation remains. The Government encourages temporary visa holders who can’t support themselves, to return home where they can. While international travel options have become more limited, departure is still possible for many.

Β 

On 22/10/2020 at 20:35, JoMichellle said:

We have been waiting 4 years for our 143 visa which we applied for on 31/10/2016! Β As you say, we are ludicrously so nearΒ and yet so far! Β  Following theΒ sale of our house, weΒ have been living (in what we thought would be fairly short-termΒ rented accommodation) Β with many of our belongings in Storage for 2.6 yrs, and now itΒ looks like being at least 2 years longer, or possibly more!

We are wondering about the 870 visa, just to get over there before it is too late! Β We are in our mid 70’s so time is not on our side! Of course we would have to wait until Australian Borders are open again in order to apply.

A really difficult situation and it really is impossible to make balanced decisions without proper information! Β That surely is not such an unreasonable request!!! Β Β If only we knew where we really areΒ in the process! Β I wish they would re-introduce the Calculator to give us someΒ idea. At the end of May it showed there were 10,450 in front of us. Hard to know what to do ....

Just despairing!

Β 

Β 

Edited by Juniper
Omission

50 minutes ago, Juniper said:

We have been waiting 4 years for our 143 visa which we applied for on 31/10/2016! Β As you say, we are ludicrously so nearΒ and yet so far! Β  Following theΒ sale of our house, weΒ have been living (in what we thought would be fairly short-termΒ rented accommodation) Β with many of our belongings in Storage for 2.6 yrs, and now itΒ looks like being at least 2 years longer, or possibly more!

We are wondering about the 870 visa, just to get over there before it is too late! Β We are in our mid 70’s so time is not on our side! Of course we would have to wait until Australian Borders are open again in order to apply.

A really difficult situation and it really is impossible to make balanced decisions without proper information! Β That surely is not such an unreasonable request!!! Β Β If only we knew where we really areΒ in the process! Β I wish they would re-introduce the Calculator to give us someΒ idea. At the end of May it showed there were 10,450 in front of us. Hard to know what to do ....

Just despairing!

Β 

Β 

Well your date and my date give a good idea of how rapidly theΒ queue is growing ! 31/10/16 thereΒ were 10450. Less than 9 months later 21/06/17 the queueΒ Β had more than doubled to 22900 - an extra 12450 - and 9000 of those were just in MayΒ and June 2017.Β 
Β 

Just those Β 9000 Alone on theΒ current capΒ Β of 4500 will take 2 years to process - horrendous thought !!Β 

ItsΒ hard to accept and even harder when youΒ try to tell people and they refuse to believe you and say well my agent says it’s 4 years! Surely those agents have the same access to the numbers that Joe Blogs can find online ??Β 
Β 

Despite feeling sorry for myselfΒ and you @JuniperΒ and othersΒ on this forum ,Β I think it’s even worse for those who started the process after 1stΒ June 2018,Β who probably don’t know,Β and won’tΒ want to believe that their applications will be subjected to a queue date that could add a further two orΒ three years to their wait times. We weren’t told the correct waitΒ times - 18-24 months in my case- and I doubt very much that post June 2018 applicants have been warned about the new assessment for queuing.Β 
Β 

There really should be some honesty and clarity given to prospective applicants so that theyΒ can make a decision whether orΒ not to apply. It’s so hard to see new posters writing excitedly about the fact that they’ve put an application in - and it’s obvious they have no idea of the reality.Β 

@JuniperΒ have you consider going over onΒ visitor visa when the bordersΒ open and changingΒ Β to 804 or 864? The way the queue isΒ beingΒ drawn outΒ and the ages weΒ are ( I’m very late 60s) It’s likely we would never get PR BUT we would be onshore with our families !!Β 

Edited by LindaH27
Spelling

5 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Well your date and my date give a good idea of how rapidly theΒ queue is growing ! 31/10/16 thereΒ were 10450. Less than 9 months later 21/06/17 the queueΒ Β had more than doubled to 22900 - an extra 12450 - and 9000 of those were just in MayΒ and June 2017.Β 
Β 

Just those Β 9000 Alone on theΒ current capΒ Β of 4500 will take 2 years to process - horrendous thought !!Β 

ItsΒ hard to accept and even harder when youΒ try to tell people and they refuse to believe you and say well my agent says it’s 4 years! Surely those agents have the same access to the numbers that Joe Blogs can find online ??Β 
Β 

Despite feeling sorry for myselfΒ and you @JuniperΒ and othersΒ on this forum ,Β I think it’s even worse for those who started the process after 1stΒ June 2018,Β who probably don’t know,Β and won’tΒ want to believe that their applications will be subjected to a queue date that could add a further two orΒ three years to their wait times. We weren’t told the correct waitΒ times - 18-24 months in my case- and I doubt very much that post June 2018 applicants have been warned about the new assessment for queuing.Β 
Β 

There really should be some honesty and clarity given to prospective applicants so that theyΒ can make a decision whether orΒ not to apply. It’s so hard to see new posters writing excitedly about the fact that they’ve put an application in - and it’s obvious they have no idea of the reality.Β 

@JuniperΒ have you consider going over onΒ visitor visa when the bordersΒ open and changingΒ Β to 804 or 864? The way the queue isΒ beingΒ drawn outΒ and the ages weΒ are ( I’m very late 60s) It’s likely we would never get PR BUT we would be onshore with our families !!Β 

Hi Guys,

Just curious where you guys are getting this info like MAY-JUNE 2016 had 9000 together or any other number referring here, could you pls help me with the link....

thanks.