Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

On 09/09/2020 at 23:31, sub7er said:

Hi everyone , jan 16 visa 143 applicant here , got the 2nd vac yesterday , paid same day , got the grant email today . Thank you to everyone on this forum for all your help and assistance thru the whole process. I wish everyone all the best.

Congratulations! I'm on a similar timeline for my mums visa, everything submitted pre-COVID, so fingers crossed! Enjoy your planning for the move 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccdd1416 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am new in the forum. I applied 143 visa for my parent in Nov 2016, still have not heard anything? Anyone here applied around Nov 2016?

Regards,

They are currently processing May 2016 applications so based on how many visas they give out each year I’d say you have another year before you’ll be contacted. 

9 pandemic, we are unable to change the date.

The first entry date condition is a legislative requirement and is attached to permanent and provisional visas granted offshore.  It is not possible to waive the condition or vary the date, and visa holders who breach the first entry date condition may be subject to visa cancellation. 

We are not legally able to amend visa conditions and existing notifications to visa holders.

However, in the majority of cases, visa holders who are unable to make their first entry by the required date may be allowed to enter Australia at a later date, provided their visa is still valid and there is no other reason to consider cancellation of the visa. 

This consideration cannot occur until travel plans have been made.  When you are able to travel to Australia, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs’ office which granted your visa and you will be assisted with additional advice at that time. Refer to the Home Affairs website for up-to-date contact details for the relevant office responsible for each country.

At what point do we get in touch, I have had my flight cancelled for December 29th by emirates, I cannot rebook until January, our entry date is supposed to be January 27th.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

The first entry date condition is a legislative requirement and is attached to permanent and provisional visas granted offshore.  It is not possible to waive the condition or vary the date, and visa holders who breach the first entry date condition may be subject to visa cancellation. 

We are not legally able to amend visa conditions and existing notifications to visa holders.

However, in the majority of cases, visa holders who are unable to make their first entry by the required date may be allowed to enter Australia at a later date, provided their visa is still valid and there is no other reason to consider cancellation of the visa. 

This consideration cannot occur until travel plans have been made.  When you are able to travel to Australia, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs’ office which granted your visa and you will be assisted with additional advice at that time. Refer to the Home Affairs website for up-to-date contact details for the relevant office responsible for each country.

At what point do we get in touch, I have had my flight cancelled for December 29th by emirates, I cannot rebook until January, our entry date is supposed to be January 27th.

See if anything changes here, they are currently talking about increasing fights allowed in so by then they may not cancel so many flights  I would give them 6 weeks notice otherwise with it being around Xmas time. Good luck !

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2020 at 19:31, LindaH27 said:

Which visa ? 143?  Do you meet the balance of family test and if so how old is your son? His age can make a difference as to whether he can be included 

143 - I am applying for my mother and sister. I am permanent resident here in Australia. 

4 minutes ago, Danish55 said:

143 - I am applying for my mother and sister. I am permanent resident here in Australia. 

You didn’t mention a sister in your first query - you mentioned bringing a son ! 

Hi Guys, 

Just a humble question, i am applying for the visa, just wondering,  do i submit 956 or 956A form bring the son?

However I’m guessing this is a mistake so If your sister is 23 she can’t be added as a dependant. Or if she is younger now and fully dependant you could add her but bear in mind the dependency question is usually whether dependency exists at the actual time of grant and whether she is 23 or less at that time - and new applications are likely to take 8 years to get the grant.! 

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

You didn’t mention a sister in your first query - you mentioned bringing a son ! 

Hi Guys, 

Just a humble question, i am applying for the visa, just wondering,  do i submit 956 or 956A form bring the son?

However I’m guessing this is a mistake so If your sister is 23 she can’t be added as a dependant. Or if she is younger now and fully dependant you could add her but bear in mind the dependency question is usually whether dependency exists at the actual time of grant and whether she is 23 or less at that time - and new applications are likely to take 8 years to get the grant.! 

I agree. With the 143 dependancy needs to be when the visa is issued not applied for. I’d say the child needs to be no more than 15 when applying to stand a chance. 

Hi, can anyone advise me please on following- 

it is regarding initial entry date. Recently one of my close friend’s parents and his brother has been granted visa 143 offshore. Do all the family members have to do initial entry to Australia together or they can also travel on seperate dates and do initial entry separately? 
thank you all the your advise. 

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I recall you have already been told that your sister will be too old by the time the 143 is granted.

I wonder if this is the reason for the dramatic increase in visa refusals last year? Maybe many applicants had dependents who were eligible at the time of application but not by the time they were processed.....

12 minutes ago, Jk07 said:

Hi, can anyone advise me please on following- 

it is regarding initial entry date. Recently one of my close friend’s parents and his brother has been granted visa 143 offshore. Do all the family members have to do initial entry to Australia together or they can also travel on seperate dates and do initial entry separately? 
thank you all the your advise. 

I could be wrong but I seem to remember someone posting on here that you can enter on separate dates but the main applicant must enter first.  Not sure how accurate this is though.

38 minutes ago, BargeUK said:

I wonder if this is the reason for the dramatic increase in visa refusals last year? Maybe many applicants had dependents who were eligible at the time of application but not by the time they were processed.....

It is something that quite a few people have been warning about for quite a while now so possibly but the report said it was mostly due to character (police reports), health (Medicals) English language speaking and biometrics (facial recognition, fingerprints etc) so it looks like they are bring extremely thorough in scrutinising applications following the pandemic! 

13 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

It is something that quite a few people have been warning about for quite a while now so possibly but the report said it was mostly due to character (police reports), health (Medicals) English language speaking and biometrics (facial recognition, fingerprints etc) so it looks like they are bring extremely thorough in scrutinising applications following the pandemic! 

I think this might become a bigger issue when processing gets to late November 2016 when the rules changed to dependents having to be below age 23 to be included on a 143 application.

1 hour ago, Biggsy said:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember someone posting on here that you can enter on separate dates but the main applicant must enter first.  Not sure how accurate this is though.

Thank you for information. Really appreciate that. 

On 17/09/2020 at 07:14, kimboslice said:

I'm so sorry this has happened to you - as if it isn't stressful enough already without anything adding to it!  Would it be possible for you to get a refund on your flights and maybe try and book with a different carrier or can't you re-book until January with any airline?

24 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

I don’t want to cancel the seat because they have said that if Australia lift the sanctions of 150 per plane, the seat would be offered to us on the next available flight or one of our choice. They have been very good and fair to be honest, but yes very stressful 🙏

Fair enough.  Probably best to stick with them then.  Good luck and let us know how you get on

• Like 1