Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 hour ago, Samvaz99 said:

A friend has got 143 visa today , who applied in January and got 2nd VAC request on 19/03/2020 .

please update if someone got 2nd VAC request because I am waiting for 2nd VAC request , applied in January 

Mate dont think they are requesting for 2nd vaq

7 hours ago, cfernandes said:

@kimboslice Thank you for that. It's crazy the amount you have had to spend. My mother in law has a slight blood pressure issue and she is stressing out about that. We too are concerned but looks like they ask a GP to look at your case and eventually clear it - Unless ofcourse something is really wrong. 

My husband has high blood pressure and is on medication, not a problem. He has an uneven heart beat. No problem. He had just had a hip replacement 4 weeks before the exam.. also no problem. My blood pressure was way off the clock with all the stress but the consultant knew we had travelled over 5 hours so sent me off for a rest for an hour. I had it taken more than 15 times and then she picked the best one. No problem. They understand we are not spring chickens and definitely allow for age. We had balance test, skin examined for cancer etc. Bring as much info with you as you can on your medical background. Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jellybean T said:

My husband has high blood pressure and is on medication, not a problem. He has an uneven heart beat. No problem. He had just had a hip replacement 4 weeks before the exam.. also no problem. My blood pressure was way off the clock with all the stress but the consultant knew we had travelled over 5 hours so sent me off for a rest for an hour. I had it taken more than 15 times and then she picked the best one. No problem. They understand we are not spring chickens and definitely allow for age. We had balance test, skin examined for cancer etc. Bring as much info with you as you can on your medical background. Good luck

@jellybean Thank you for sharing your experience. I will convey this to my in-laws.

It will surely make them feel at ease. Much appreciate all the details and the time taken to respond! All the very best!! 

• Thanks 1

On 23/07/2020 at 12:15, Samvaz99 said:

A friend has got 143 visa today , who applied in January and got 2nd VAC request on 19/03/2020 .

please update if someone got 2nd VAC request because I am waiting for 2nd VAC request , applied in January 

Yes, me too, I wish they'd just carry on with the process but it doesn't look hopeful 😢

Hey Guys, 

I hope you guys can answer my questions, may be very silly. 

I had always applied my visa and now want to apply for CPV 143 for my mum and sister who is under 18. I am confused, how to start application? Do we really have to apply on paper? 

Can i apply online? thanks 

27 minutes ago, Danish55 said:

Hey Guys, 

I had always applied my visa and now want to apply for CPV 143 for my mum and sister who is under 18. I am confused, how to start application? Do we really have to apply on paper? 

It is on paper unless it’s recently changed. How old is your sister. I ask that as the dependent needs to show dependency just prior to the visa being granted. It’s not when you apply that counts. They also have to be under 23 at grant of visa. The waiting time for anyone applying for this visa now is around 8 years, possibly longer. So, unless your sister will still be in full time education in 8 years time and is younger than 15 right now she won’t get the visa. Your mum would but your sister wouldn’t.  If you are confused as to how to start the application, I suggest you use a migrant agent. 

7 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

It is on paper unless it’s recently changed. How old is your sister. I ask that as the dependent needs to show dependency just prior to the visa being granted. It’s not when you apply that counts. They also have to be under 23 at grant of visa. The waiting time for anyone applying for this visa now is around 8 years, possibly longer. So, unless your sister will still be in full time education in 8 years time and is younger than 15 right now she won’t get the visa. Your mum would but your sister wouldn’t.  If you are confused as to how to start the application, I suggest you use a migrant agent. 

Unfortunately a migration agent can't change the definition of who is a dependent child.

Rather, the family in question should be contemplating how the sister/daughter will move to Australia in the absence of a visa through a parent visa application - and what they will do if she can't get a visa to move to Australia.

Such are the harsh realities of moving to Australia and leaving family behind.

Best regards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

Unfortunately a migration agent can't change the definition of who is a dependent child.

Rather, the family in question should be contemplating how the sister/daughter will move to Australia in the absence of a visa through a parent visa application - and what they will do if she can't get a visa to move to Australia.

Best regards.

Oh I understand that Alan. I was thinking more along the lines of if he/she is confused at how to start the application which they mentioned then they made need some help.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Danish55 said:

It's not a silly question, visas are very confusing.  

If you apply for a 143 visa for your mum now, she will be waiting about 8 years to get her visa.     Dependent children must be under 23 when the visa is finally granted (not when she submits the application).   So your sister will be too old and can't be included.  She will need to get a skilled visa in her own right, just like you.    

Hi guys,

I have applied for 173 about 51 months ago. I was advised by my immigration agent to switch to 143. 
im not sure if it’s a good idea as I’m afraid it takes too long before I get the acknowledgement for 143.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Have you already been granted 173? If not you would have to withdraw that before applying for 143 and applying now will start the wait again from the beginning - and it’s currently around 8-9 years for new applications!! 

Best to let 173 be eventually granted then put in claim straightaway for 143 - hopefully you would  get that within 2 years after 173 granted. 

All applicants for visas are waiting a very long time so far and it’s taking even longer with the pandemic and the closure of the borders. You’re not alone ! 

37 minutes ago, Samda said:

Hi guys,

I have applied for 173 about 51 months ago. I was advised by my immigration agent to switch to 143. 
im not sure if it’s a good idea as I’m afraid it takes too long before I get the acknowledgement for 143.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Did you switch from a 173 application to a 143, before your 173 visa was granted?

27 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Did you switch from a 173 application to a 143, before your 173 visa was granted?

I haven’t been contacted by the department since I lodged my application. That’s why I’m considering switching to 143. 

On 26/07/2020 at 17:53, Tulip1 said:

Hi Samda, 

Thanks for the reply, my sister is 16 and will be dependent for education till she completes her education on my mom or indirectly me. An Immigration agent told me that the visa process is 2 and half to three years. But i am reading on the forum, yes its is quite long. 

I am confused what to do? 

Just now, Danish55 said:

Hi Samda, 

Thanks for the reply, my sister is 16 and will be dependent for education till she completes her education on my mom or indirectly me. An Immigration agent told me that the visa process is 2 and half to three years. But i am reading on the forum, yes its is quite long. 

I am confused what to do? 

HI Tulip1 - sorry i mentioned someone else in the reply. 

On 26/07/2020 at 18:04, Alan Collett said:

Best regards.

Hi Allan, 

I am planning to move her here before the 143 grant - as i will be supporting her studies here - will that affect her 143 visa application regarding her dependency on my mother. Provided i am the one looking after than now. 

Thanks 

41 minutes ago, Samda said:

I haven’t been contacted by the department since I lodged my application. That’s why I’m considering switching to 143. 

Don't switch....you will have to cancel your application for the 173 and start from the beginning again to apply for a 143, effectively losing the 51 months you have already waited. As soon as the visa office starts to issue visas again you will be contacted very quickly. Good luck and just wait it out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Samda said:

My understanding is, if you switch to a 143 now you will have to start again at the back of the queue (another 8 to 10 years). I could be wrong, but I would ask your immigration agent to clarify this before you withdraw your 173 application.

We lodged our 173 application at the end of March 2016 and was only contacted for further documents and medical exams just two months ago. So you too should be very close to hearing something soon.

Obviously the virus is affecting processing at the moment and this is the same for 173 and 143 visa classes. Only downside to the 173 is that even if your visa was granted today, you still can’t travel to Australia with a temporary visa.

I’m hopeful that the travel restriction will start to ease from January and temporary and permanent visas will resume by this time next year.

3 hours ago, Danish55 said:

HI Tulip1 - sorry i mentioned someone else in the reply. 

There’s little you can do. You can lodge an application in the hope that some miracle happens and the wait time reduces. The reality is though it will almost certainly get longer not shorter. Based on current queue times of people applying now, your sister will be over 23 and there’s nothing you can do about that. Not sure what immigration agent told you such a short queue time, certainly no reputable agent would have.  Regarding you supporting your sister through education. I’m not sure if this would matter although my thoughts are it may well do. She would have to prove she’s dependent on the applicant which is your mother. If it’s you that’s financially keeping her then that could cause a problem. Unfortunately it’s not likely to be relevant anyway. 

10 hours ago, Danish55 said:

Thanks for the reply, my sister is 16 and will be dependent for education till she completes her education on my mom or indirectly me. An Immigration agent told me that the visa process is 2 and half to three years. 

@Danish55, your agent is lying so I suggest you sack your agent and find someone else.  If you apply now, you will be waiting for at least 8 years.  Your sister will have to stay in education, without any break, until the visa is granted.    If she is over 23 when the visa is granted, she will be refused and will be unable to live in Australia.  

The whole point of allowing a "dependent child" is that a parent can't move to Australia and leave a child behind who is dependent on them.  So Immigration will expect your mother to prove your sister is dependent on your mother and would not be able to manage if she was left behind in your home country. Obviously if you are looking after her at any point, that would not apply.

Given that wait times are constantly getting longer, and visa conditions stricter, I think  your only sensible approach is to assume your sister will need to get qualified and get her own skilled visa in the future, as that is the only way she stands a reasonable chance of a permanent visa to Australia. 

• Like 2

Hi all how are you all doing ? its me Dady from WA ...and i Am planning to apply 143 Visa for my Mom N Dad. I am confused about applying myself or using agent. what would be the best to do. if i apply on my own what are the forms and document to apply. Can any one suggest me please. what is the approximate time. Thank you 

Do your family meet the Balance of Family test and are you settled in Australia for at least 2 years? If so they  can apply for 143 and you can sponsor them but be aware that the wait times are now  likely to be in excess of 8-9 years. They’re also looking at a cost of $100,000 for the two of them and you as sponsor will pay $14000 for them

• Like 1