Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

11 hours ago, Arti said:

Can you share any relevant site or news where the govt has concluded this analysis? I tried google but didn't find anything. Just curious.

You just need to know where to look ... 🙂 

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/australia-considering-cost-of-parents-visa-after-productivity-commission-report

https://www.afr.com/politics/double-55k-fee-for-parent-reunion-visas-says-productivity-commission-20160912-greal7

Also - see pages 26 and 27 of the attached Productivity Commission report.

Best regards.

migrant-intake-report.pdf

12 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Thank you!

On 02/04/2020 at 11:41, Kathss56 said:

@MELBNGSM even though you may get approval soon remember they are all on hold until at least the end of May. I guess when travel restrictions between Australia and say the UK for instance lift, they will then Re start to issue  🤞

AOS application accepted on 03/04/2020 (just got MyGov notification). 

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 5

15 hours ago, cfernandes said:

@MELBNGSM This is excellent news. Some signs that there is some work going on at DIBP. Congratulations on being a step closer! 

Hi - yes it is a great news but as you may know that things are on hold for people on final stages of visa until end of May and then reviewed.
AOS is purely a CENTRELINK process which is independent of DIBP. DIBP needs a positive outcome from CENTRELINK for AOS and that’s what we have. 

• Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, MELBNGSM said:

Hi - yes it is a great news but as you may know that things are on hold for people on final stages of visa until end of May and then reviewed.
AOS is purely a CENTRELINK process which is independent of DIBP. DIBP needs a positive outcome from CENTRELINK for AOS and that’s what we have. 

Aus has declared 6 months restrictions due to Covid-19. Hope that it should not affect 143/173 visa processes for six months.

Edited by Greece

Here is what the new auto response says. They do say that processing is continuing. Finalisation is on hold for the moment. 

Hoping for the best ! 

IMPORTANT NOTE

Processing of visa applications is continuing, however finalisation of many Parent Visa applications will be put on temporary hold. The situation will be reviewed in late May 2020, and further extension/s will be provided if necessary.

As soon as we have advice that restrictions at our Border have been returned to more normal arrangements, the Department will update information on the web site.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

My parents applied for 143 visa in 2016 and they have only received the aknowledgement of application since then. no AoS or anything yet. My brother is the sponsor for them and he travelled overseas late last year to work there, is there a way to replace him by myself as a sponsor? 

Thanks 

37 minutes ago, Samvaz99 said:

Hi ,

plz post if anyone got any email for further information or 2nd VAC, so that we can have an idea of immigration is still working.

Thanks so much ..

have applied in Jan 16

37 minutes ago, Samvaz99 said:

Hi ,

plz post if anyone got any email for further information or 2nd VAC, so that we can have an idea of immigration is still working.

Thanks so much ..

have applied in Jan 16

Dont think anyone got 2nd vaq request otherwise people would have put it up here

I just got a further request for more information!

Strange as the requests are all that have already been provided (police cert with maiden name on) some sections of the form 80 (which has already been filled out...)

But will be sending back first thing. They must be looking at applications still! 

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

On 15/04/2020 at 15:30, NatS259 said:

Strange as the requests are all that have already been provided (police cert with maiden name on) some sections of the form 80 (which has already been filled out...)

But will be sending back first thing. They must be looking at applications still! 

I got the same request to include all names on pcc which my mother is known by just before the lock down happened,Can anyone tell me how to do it as in my country pcc is done by the Passport name and all other names are not included on PccI got this mail from pvc

1 minute ago, nitz said:

I got the same request to include all names on pcc which my mother is known by just before the lock down happened,Can anyone tell me how to do it as in my country pcc is done by the Passport name and all other names are not included on Pcc

I got this mail from pvc

I strongly recommend removing identifiers such as your attachment from a public forum.

Best regards.

18 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

I strongly recommend removing identifiers such as your attachment from a public forum.

Best regards.

Removed mate i thought it might be easy for you guys to understand to come up with an advice as what to do in this case when your country provides pcc on just your passport name

On 15/04/2020 at 17:30, NatS259 said:

Hi Nat, 

I received the same email from them requesting further information including police check and form 47PA for my dad which already provided, and funny is dated on 15th too.

Our time frame is pretty much identical:)

Edited by Bic Nguyen

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to when flights/borders will open up again? I had being thinking September might be realistic, but now there is speculation in the UK media that air travel will be the last thing to open up (and possibly not until 2021).

I have noticed in my area people are not as strict in their lockdowns this week with a lot more movement on foot and in cars. People are now sitting on benches and sunbathing in the parks, as we have been very lucky here with near perfect sunny weather.

Talking to neighbours and friends, there is growing frustration and a need to someway get back to normal soon. I think this is because there isn’t the same level of fear now (although we have lost two locals to the virus).

Personally, I don’t believe it will be long before mounting public discontent will force the UK government to rethink their lockdown policy. Although it would be better if we could get access to buy facemasks to wear in shops and public places.

What’s the mood like in Australia? I guess there will be enormous pressure to get tourism moving again, but maybe not as much appetite to restart immigration with high unemployment.

7 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to when flights/borders will open up again? I had being thinking September might be realistic, but now there is speculation in the UK media that air travel will be the last thing to open up (and possibly not until 2021).

I have noticed in my area people are not as strict in their lockdowns this week with a lot more movement on foot and in cars. People are now sitting on benches and sunbathing in the parks, as we have been very lucky here with near perfect sunny weather.

Talking to neighbours and friends, there is growing frustration and a need to someway get back to normal soon. I think this is because there isn’t the same level of fear now (although we have lost two locals to the virus).

Personally, I don’t believe it will be long before mounting public discontent will force the UK government to rethink their lockdown policy. Although it would be better if we could get access to buy facemasks to wear in shops and public places.

What’s the mood like in Australia? I guess there will be enormous pressure to get tourism moving again, but maybe not as much appetite to restart immigration with high unemployment.

Australian borders look to remain closed to International Travel for at least three-to-four months.  Lockdown is pretty strict where I live (north west coast of Tasmania) but everyone is quite OK with that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

No one knows but if I had to take a guess I’d say air travel may be open towards the end of the year but unlikely over the next few months. I wouldn't be shocked if it remained closed until next year though. I’m surprised you say people have been out sitting on benches and sunbathing as that’s strictly not allowed. The town I work in has a lovely market square with several benches on it.  With the nice weather I have noticed a few appear and sit down on them. Those benches were quickly all taped up so it’s not possible to sit on them. We also have police walking about the town throughout the day, asking what people are doing and moving them on where necessary.  Seeing police in that town is very rare so things are certainly strict in my area.  I hope mounting pressure from discontented people doesn’t force the government into lifting the lockdown too early.  It’s not nice on any of us to have our social life effected by this but there’s even less fun to be had when you’re 6 foot under. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

No one knows but if I had to take a guess I’d say air travel may be open by the end of the year but unlikely over the next few months. I wouldn't be shocked if it remained closed until next year though. I’m surprised you say people have been out sitting on benches and sunbathing as that’s strictly not allowed. The town I work in has a lovely market square with several benches on it.  With the nice weather I have noticed a few appear and sit down on them. The following day those benches were all taped up so it’s not possible to sit on them. We also have police walking about the town throughout the day, asking what people are doing and moving them on where necessary.  Seeing police in that town is very rare so things are certainly strict in my area.  I hope mounting pressure from discontented people doesn’t force the government into lifting the lockdown too early.  It’s not nice on any of us to have our social life effected by this but there’s even less fun to be had when you’re 6 foot under. 

That is probably more like it Tulip.  Australia's tourism minister has warned that international travel unlikely to resume until at least 2021.   At a senate inquiry meeting into Australia's response to COVID-19, Australia's Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy said that opening borders would be one of the last stages of easing restrictions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

That is probably more like it Tulip.  Australia's tourism minister has warned that international travel unlikely to resume until at least 2021.   At a senate inquiry meeting into Australia's response to COVID-19, Australia's Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy said that opening borders would be one of the last stages of easing restrictions.

They have to play it safe and I’m sure they will.  I’ll be looking to book my trip as soon as they do but I’m in the real world, it’s not going to be anytime soon I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

I think there was only 1 day difference in lockdown between Oz & UK but we were luckily a bit behind here, also Oz banned flights from China and then all international flights which I think made a big difference, if it hadn’t been for debacle letting the thousands of passengers off the Ruby Princess there would have been far fewer cases here. From a Qld point of view especially on the Sunshine Coast people seem to be pretty much still abiding by the lockdown. Also border from NSW was closed and you need a permit to enter Qld. Very few shops are open, Mooloolaba shopping main st very deserted today, beach car parks closed off, not many on the beach, plenty walking and cycling. You have to be moving not allowed to sit or sunbathe. 
I think we are hoping that restrictions will ease in 3’sh weeks, depending on the infection rate.

There is talk of no international flights for a year? Time will tell.

keep safe

Edited by ramot

I have to agree with all of the above, but there will come a point where the needs of the ‘economy’ will outtrump (or outvalue) the danger of the virus.

Clearly not everyone will die from the virus and this will have to be balanced by the overall damage a prolonged shutdown will do to society. Public health is only part of what makes society glue together and there may be a time when some really hard choices have to be taken.

So far there is no cure for the virus and no vaccine, maybe there will never be either. What then? Will we just have to accept we are mere mortals and all playing bit-parts in in some Darwinian/Attenborough production.

Scary stuff I know, but think about it, a few weeks ago we could not even start to comprehend what is now normal. So how do we know the even more unthinkable isn’t waiting for us again in the coming weeks?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to when flights/borders will open up again?...

What’s the mood like in Australia?

Most Australians know how a handful of cases from one cruise ship (the Ruby Princess) caused an explosion in cases, so we're all aware of how risky it will be to start letting planeloads of people arrive.   Weeks later, the government is still being given a hard time about the Ruby Princess debacle, so they'd be very conscious of the political consequences if they make another mistake. For that reason alone, I don't think they'll be in a hurry to open the borders.  

Given that most governments tend to downplay the possible extent of restrictions, the fact that they're already saying "no international travel till 2021" isn't encouraging for those who would like to fly.

There is a lot of pressure to ease restrictions from all quarters - retail, sport, arts, exports etc - but I haven't seen a single post or article or TV news item about the need to restart tourism. So I'd say it's low on the priority list. 

There are rumours about opening the borders between  Australia and New Zealand, if Australia can achieve eradication (which was never Australia's intention, but they're beginning to think it might be possible).  That might be widened to include some other countries who manage eradication, creating a "bubble" where it would be safe to travel and trade.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I have to agree with all of the above, but there will come a point where the needs of the ‘economy’ will outtrump (or outvalue) the danger of the virus.

Clearly not everyone will die from the virus and this will have to be balanced by the overall damage a prolonged shutdown will do to society.

Yes, it's beginning to feel like a science fiction plot, isn't it?   

The facts are that the virus kills about 1 in 10 of "elderly" or immuno-compromised people, but only about 1 in 500 of the rest of the population.  I've already seen posts on Facebook saying "why should we sacrifice everyone's livelihood and future for the sake of the old?".   

As a 66-year-old with asthma, I'm beginning to feel expendable . . .

• Sad 1