Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 hour ago, cfernandes said:

Yup. I am trying to find out if anyone else has had any correspondence from the department as well. As long as we all keep sharing and communicating on this forum it will help understand how DIPB is progressing. 

yeah, it's a waiting game... and a very long one...

😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greece said:

True.🙂 Entered Aus on 23 March

So happy to hear you are finally in Australia even though you had to go straight into self isolation... you made it👍👍.  Did you have any problems entering on your visa as the government closed the boarders on the 21st March. I’m only asking as we have the Visa Grant but haven’t validated it yet ... we were due to fly 8th April but fights were cancelled as we live in Spain we are also in lockdown. Just like to know when they are flying again would we be able to enter Australia on our 143 visa without any problems. 

Big congrats to you and your family 🍾. Shelagh 

@cfernandes as mentioned previously visas on hold until end of May when they will review the situation. 
 They may not even continue now to keep on asking for further info as some Medical centres are not doing the medicals. Who knows! Let’s hope in a couple of months it speeds up again and we get some  visas  through in this financial year as they must be low on numbers granted. 👍🤞🤞

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jellybean T said:

So happy to hear you are finally in Australia even though you had to go straight into self isolation... you made it👍👍.  Did you have any problems entering on your visa as the government closed the boarders on the 21st March. I’m only asking as we have the Visa Grant but haven’t validated it yet ... we were due to fly 8th April but fights were cancelled as we live in Spain we are also in lockdown. Just like to know when they are flying again would we be able to enter Australia on our 143 visa without any problems. 

Big congrats to you and your family 🍾. Shelagh 

Hi Jellybean, Thanks. If you have 143 visa in your hand, it is enough. Validation is not important to fly. At the airport, they will check whether you have Aus PR or  Passport to be eligible to fly to Aus. Since you have 143 PR in your hand, you can catch next available flight to Aus. Good luck and best wishes to you🙂🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MELBNGSM said:

Thats great. 

Assuming there wasnt a coronavirus going on right now.....

I am wondering at what stage do I get asked to provide a bond. Will I get an email from DIBP? 

In general, an assurer'll get a call from centrelink, then an email of invitation to deposit the bond.  In some cases, there will not be any interview from centrelink but you'll receive the email. 

4 minutes ago, AlwaysVet said:

In general, an assurer'll get a call from centrelink, then an email of invitation to deposit the bond.  In some cases, there will not be any interview from centrelink but you'll receive the email. 

Thanks!

Now it makes sense.

I got an CENTRELINK SMS Tuesday evening 6:51pm 24/03/2020 saying "A Services Australia Service Officer will call you today from a Private Number. Please answer this call" 

I thought it was a bit late for a call but then I never got the call but had an updated status online AOS Application Completed. Waiting for the letter to be emailed sometime but dont know what is going to happen given how many people would want to use CENTRELINK at present.

7 hours ago, Greece said:

Hi Jellybean, Thanks. If you have 143 visa in your hand, it is enough. Validation is not important to fly. At the airport, they will check whether you have Aus PR or  Passport to be eligible to fly to Aus. Since you have 143 PR in your hand, you can catch next available flight to Aus. Good luck and best wishes to you🙂🙂

Thank you Greece, that’s what I thought but couldn’t get it confirmed at the moment.  Hopefully in the next few months. 😎😎👍

On 30/03/2020 at 14:50, AlwaysVet said:

Just got the letter to provide AOS BOND. 

It doesnt not say how to provide this bond to centrelink. CBA will know what to do?

Edited by MELBNGSM
  • Congratulations 2

12 minutes ago, MELBNGSM said:

Just got the letter to provide AOS BOND. 

It doesnt not say how to provide this bond to centrelink. CBA will know what to do?

The letter needs careful reading. Take the letter to Commonwealth Bank. You will need ID plus $150. You need your tax number also, if you don’t have a Commonwealth bank account you will need a bank cheque from your own bank (it was made out to my daughters name) for the amount of bond requested. 
when you get bond certificate done, you upload it to Centrelink, under “upload documents,” then select “Centrelink form”  scan or manually add the bar code on the top of Centrelink  letter,  it will then say upload bank certificate. Then await AoS approval.

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 3

FYI - and to help manage expectations of those who are in the closing stages of visa processing - it appears that offshore subclass 143 parent visa applications (along with other offshore visa applications generally) - are not being finalised at the moment due to the COVID-19 restrictions on incoming arrivals to Australia.

We have a case where the 2nd VAC has been paid but visas are apparently not going to be being granted until the PVC returns to its usual modus operandi - albeit that we are lobbying hard for the visas to be granted given the Department has the applicants money.

Stay hopeful one and all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

FYI - and to help manage expectations of those who are in the closing stages of visa processing - it appears that offshore subclass 143 parent visa applications (along with other offshore visa applications generally) - are not being finalised at the moment due to the COVID-19 restrictions on incoming arrivals to Australia.

We have a case where the 2nd VAC has been paid but visas are apparently not going to be being granted until the PVC returns to its usual modus operandi - albeit that we are lobbying hard for the visas to be granted given the Department has the applicants money.

Thanks for this and the insight really helps. But do you know if they are even asking for further docs to keep the queue moving. Then keeping everything ready to a stage where the 2nd VAC is asked for only once the borders open? 

6 minutes ago, cfernandes said:

Thanks for this and the insight really helps. But do you know if they are even asking for further docs to keep the queue moving. Then keeping everything ready to a stage where the 2nd VAC is asked for only once the borders open? 

I think they are as I’m sure someone posted on here late last week they’d been asked for documents and their application date was June 2016. 

15 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

The letter needs careful reading. Take the letter to Commonwealth Bank. You will need ID plus $150. You need your tax number also, if you don’t have a Commonwealth bank account you will need a bank cheque from your own bank (it was made out to my daughters name) for the amount of bond requested. 
when you get bond certificate done, you upload it to Centrelink, under “upload documents,” then select “Centrelink form”  scan or manually add the bar code on the top of Centrelink  letter,  it will then say upload bank certificate. Then await AoS approval.

Thanks Kath.

I have a CBA account and I will take my Drivers Licence. 

This is why I like this forum. The information you provided isnt anywhere on the letter. Yes there is a bar code; so now I know what I need to do exactly. 

So many thanks to you! 

"you upload it to Centrelink, under “upload documents,” then select “Centrelink form”  scan or manually add the bar code on the top of Centrelink  letter,  it will then say upload bank certificate. Then await AoS approval."

14 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Okay! So this means if I get asked to pay the second VAC fee I should try to get an extension or pay it close to when it is required. 

If this goes on for 6months DIBP would have the 2nd VAC without giving the visa for a long time!

48 minutes ago, MELBNGSM said:

Okay! So this means if I get asked to pay the second VAC fee I should try to get an extension or pay it close to when it is required. 

If this goes on for 6months DIBP would have the 2nd VAC without giving the visa for a long time!

I doubt you will be asked to pay the 2nd VAC at this time - but if you are consider communicating with the PVC and/or taking professional advice.

Best regards.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

image.png.c57e02d6ddb1f6c2bdf6f296370afbaf.png

Is this the option I am suppose to select?

34 minutes ago, MELBNGSM said:

image.png.c57e02d6ddb1f6c2bdf6f296370afbaf.png

Is this the option I am suppose to select?

Scan bar code or manually enter (circled on top of letter as attached). It then came up with attach bank guarantee. My daughter can’t remember if Q769 came up but someone else has mentioned that code before so probably ok. 0FF3F9BD-251C-4A14-B359-664DE41A7F6B.thumb.jpeg.479d488c7ade92e39a9c751e3bada81d.jpeg

Edited by Kathss56

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

Scan bar code or manually enter (circled on top of letter as attached). It then came up with attached bank guarantee. My daughter can’t remember if Q769 came up but someone else has mentioned that code before so probably ok. 0FF3F9BD-251C-4A14-B359-664DE41A7F6B.thumb.jpeg.479d488c7ade92e39a9c751e3bada81d.jpeg

That's it!

MY GOV > CENTRELINK > Documents & Appointments > UPLOAD DOCUMENTS > CENTRELINK FORM 

Q769 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

@MELBNGSM even though you may get approval soon remember they are all on hold until at least the end of May. I guess when travel restrictions between Australia and say the UK for instance lift, they will then Re start to issue  🤞

Thanks! & Ofcourse - we just want to be decision ready. As we were discussing - I would like to pay the second VAC closer to when the Borders are open and commercial flight operators are again in business (maybe they wont even ask until that time comes). For now - Stay at home and stay safe!

I had to do the Bank Guarantee as the letter stated I had 14 days to get it done.

On 26/03/2020 at 04:01, Marisawright said:

Considering the government's own analysis showing that Parent visa holders eventually cost the country far more than the visa fee

Can you share any relevant site or news where the govt has concluded this analysis? I tried google but didn't find anything. Just curious.

Edited by Arti

11 hours ago, Arti said:

Can you share any relevant site or news where the govt has concluded this analysis? I tried google but didn't find anything. Just curious.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/01/its-time-to-abolish-costly-parental-visas/

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/new-visa-for-migrant-parents-to-stay-in-australia-for-up-to-10-years-for-20-000

People often don't realise the cost of healthcare, especially when coming from the UK where it's free and you don't see the underlying cost.    But a simple hip replacement - which, under a parent visa, you'll get for free - costs the government around $35,000. 

I'm 66 now and my  husband is 67. We're still (touch wood) in good health and most of our friends are active (social dancing or walking) - but we are noticing that all of us are developing health problems. For some of us they're small and niggling, but for others they're more serious.  Statistics show that in fact, at least half of all people over 65 are taking several medications.  On a parent visa, those medications are subsidised, but the government has to pay the full price to the pharmaceutical companies - try adding that up over 10 or 20 years.  Then there's aged care - one of those articles gives an example of a woman who's on a home care package, which costs the government ove $50,000 every year.  

You may say you're in good health now, but you're going to die of something, and you're going to die in Australia.  These days, many people die slow deaths - so you may have months or years of cancer treatment, a heart bypass, a pacemaker, transplants - the list goes on.  Even if you stay healthy, you'll be having more and more checkups as you age, to make sure you stay healthy - and they cost money too.

Then there's the Australian pension, which you'll be entitled to after 10 years.  You may not get it if you have assets, but it's there as a safety net - and many people who don't qualify in their early retirement will claim a part pension at some point, unless they are rich. 

It's true that if you're coming to Australia in your fifties, you will contribute some taxes to the system, IF you can get work (Australia has a real problem with age discrimination, even though it's supposed to be illegal). It's also true that you provide free childcare and support to your adult children. All those things have value but they are much harder to put a $ value on - so I'm afraid the bean counters don't take them into account. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3