Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

It’s possible this was a transfer from an existing 103 - as you can keep your original date of application when you  transfer. So she could have applied years ago but then changed to 143 

Looks like she had applied for a 173 and then changed it to a 143.  So the Aussie government plan to put a hold on 173 applications to bring 143 into parity isn't going to work as the 173s are just changing to a 143 to bunk the system!  So our hopes of them bringing the 5 years waiting list down for the 143 are scuppered!

25 minutes ago, Spikey said:

I saw on another forum a lady who got her 143 granted yesterday.  She only applied July 2019.  So much for a strict date applied basis! Makes me mad, if you say it's strict date basis then stick to it!  Makes everyone else despondent and angry.

I see she transferred her application from a 173 to a 143 as soon as they stopped looking at the 173s to try and bring the waiting lists for the two visas into parity.  If all the 173s convert to 143s to bunk the system then the waiting lists for the 143 are going to get longer and longer!

Once a 173 is granted most people put in an immediate application for 143 as 173 only allows you 2 years in Australia. The time for the switch from 173 to 143 is usually a lot quicker. 

Its the 864 visas that are on hold until 173 and 143 reach the same date. A genuinely first 143 application date of July 2019 is never going to be granted until about another 8 years or so. 

2 minutes ago, Spikey said:

Looks like she had applied for a 173 and then changed it to a 143.  So the Aussie government plan to put a hold on 173 applications to bring 143 into parity isn't going to work as the 173s are just changing to a 143 to bunk the system!  So our hopes of them bringing the 5 years waiting list down for the 143 are scuppered!

Sorry Spikey but as your name implies you are Spikey! 173 applicants have waited a long time to get their 173 visa and are entitled to their 143 as soon as they can get it... they are not scuppering your 5 year timeline at all as 2019 applicants are realistically looking at a much longer wait than 5 years.

38 minutes ago, Jellybean T said:

Sorry Spikey but as your name implies you are Spikey! 173 applicants have waited a long time to get their 173 visa and are entitled to their 143 as soon as they can get it... they are not scuppering your 5 year timeline at all as 2019 applicants are realistically looking at a much longer wait than 5 years.

Yes.  Probably am feeling a bit Spikey.  Just returned from a week's holiday in Aus for my grand-daughter's first birthday, so feeling a bit fragile. 

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

It’s possible this was a transfer from an existing 103 - as you can keep your original date of application when you  transfer. So she could have applied years ago but then changed to 143 

Is there the same rule applied for a transfer from an existing 173 (not granted yet) to a 143 application? I mean whether a person could keep her original date of 173 application when she transfers to 143

1 hour ago, Lucy Adelaide said:

Is there the same rule applied for a transfer from an existing 173 (not granted yet) to a 143 application? I mean whether a person could keep her original date of 173 application when she transfers to 143

You can’t swap from a 173 to a 143 without starting again. Also there is normally parity in the processing times for 173 and 143 visas, it just got a few months out of sync last year (perhaps due to AoS delays for 143s). And now the 143s have got a little ahead, but it’s still all moving at roughly the same speed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spikey said:

Yes.  Probably am feeling a bit Spikey.  Just returned from a week's holiday in Aus for my grand-daughter's first birthday, so feeling a bit fragile. 

You will get there, I understand completely how frustrating it is putting our lives on hold especially when Grandchildren are growing up without us. I always tried looking at flights for my next trip just after I got back from visiting them, it gave me something to look forward to.

1 minute ago, Jellybean T said:

You will get there, I understand completely how frustrating it is putting our lives on hold especially when Grandchildren are growing up without us. I always tried looking at flights for my next trip just after I got back from visiting them, it gave me something to look forward to.

Yes, doing that.  We want to go again in December.  We live in South Africa and the only airline that does direct to Perth is SAA and they are in the middle of business rescue so can't risk booking yet.  We did the Emirates thing 2018 but it takes far too long for our older bones. 

2 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

You can’t swap from a 173 to a 143 without starting again. Also there is normally parity in the processing times for 173 and 143 visas, it just got a few months out of sync last year (perhaps due to AoS delays for 143s). And now the 143s have got a little ahead, but it’s still all moving at roughly the same speed.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully we will hear a good move on 173 very soon.

14 hours ago, LBee said:

Don’t believe all you see online - I doubt very much anyone who applied in July 2019 getting granted a parent visa 

Hi LBee - I have been following this topic for a few months. I applied for my parents as per my timeline below. 

Would it be right to say you are the first person in this topic to be asked for DOCS April 2016? Does anyone else know what the time line is at?

Thanks.

Hi LBee - I have been following this topic for a few months. I applied for my parents as per my timeline below. 
Would it be right to say you are the first person in this topic to be asked for DOCS April 2016? Does anyone else know what the time line is at?
Thanks.

We’ve been asked for medicals and police checks visa submitted 5/4/16
  • Congratulations 1

21 hours ago, Spikey said:

Yes, doing that.  We want to go again in December.  We live in South Africa and the only airline that does direct to Perth is SAA and they are in the middle of business rescue so can't risk booking yet.  We did the Emirates thing 2018 but it takes far too long for our older bones. 

I know that feeling as we live in Spain and always fly to UK first and overnight in a hotel as it takes far too long flying from Spain. Less than 2 months now for us and we will be in Adelaide permanently. Keep Smiling

11 minutes ago, Jellybean T said:

I know that feeling as we live in Spain and always fly to UK first and overnight in a hotel as it takes far too long flying from Spain. Less than 2 months now for us and we will be in Adelaide permanently. Keep Smiling

Lucky you!  Good luck for the future!  My daughter just returned to Perth after a week in Adelaide.  She does Clinical Research monitoring visits at the hospital there every few months, but she lives in Perth.  :-)

VAC2 Payment request received today. VAC2 Payment done today. 143 GRANT Letter received today. 😀😀 48 Months of Long Waiting is over today.

Thanks to all on this Forum for contributing very valuable information related to cpv 143 which really helped us to do it ourselves. 

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 7

I am about to apply for a CPV 143 and believe processing time could be as much as 6-8  years!

Would it be possible to get a visitor visa every one of those 6-8 years and then spend up to 6 months a year, in 90 day blocks, in Australia or would they knock that on the head after the first two or three years?

Thanks

Shell

I’ve heard of people being told they have to wait longer before applying again if there had been repeated applications as immi could see it as a “backdoor ” to living there without a “valid” visa or bridging visa but I can’t remember the name of the original posters who could have given a better reply. I guess you could just take a chance and see. Don’t forget the visas all have various conditions on them like no work  or study etc. If you’re from certain countries you could get reciprocal health care but not full Medicare whilst you are there. 

Once you put the 143 application in you could apply for a 5 year 870 visa. You could live over there for five years but need private health insurance and again can’t work. Or a 3 year 600 visa which would let you live there for twelve months then leave for 6 back again for 12 then leave again for 6. again no work is allowed which I think you wanted from an earlier posting you did? 

Its always best to fulfill the conditions attached to all the visas as you don’t want to cause problems with immi when it comes to processing the full visa. 

43 minutes ago, NYNL20 said:

I am about to apply for a CPV 143 and believe processing time could be as much as 6-8  years!

Would it be possible to get a visitor visa every one of those 6-8 years and then spend up to 6 months a year, in 90 day blocks, in Australia or would they knock that on the head after the first two or three years?

Thanks

Shell

Did you speak to a migrant agent. They really would be the best people to ask about this sort of thing.  I reckon your plan would quickly flag up that you are perhaps not a genuine tourist but I don’t actually know. How did the ‘experts’ respond when you questioned the advice they had given you? Assume you pass the balance of family test? 

2 hours ago, NYNL20 said:

Thanks

Shell

I dont see anything wrong with this. My parents have been coming and going from Australia since Oct 2015 and we applied for their CPV143 in April'16. 

In my parents case they were getting a 3 year Subclass 600 (long stay tourist).

1 year every 18 months.

Maintain Health 

No work 

No further stay

Max 3 months study

We made sure they were always obeying the visa conditions. 

One more thing: I have a sister in NZ . So one time my Mom got her 600 renewed there and she got this condition 

12 months / visit ..... as opposed to 1 year every 18 months. 

All the best in your 143 journey.