Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

On 02/01/2023 at 18:34, LindaH27 said:

Itโ€™s info acquired by @Alan Collettย as a freedom of informationย Request to home affairs. I believe there may be a later update in numbersย but am unable to find it at present. Theย ย info I used is here ย 

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

I'm really hoping a whole lot of those 9000 applications were made in panic with the steep increase in visa fees and hence might get withdrawn ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

11 minutes ago, Arti said:

I'm really hoping a whole lot of those 9000 applications were made in panic with the steep increase in visa fees and hence might get withdrawn ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Could reduce forย anyย number of reasons. People could have died, withdrawn and changed to 804/864, or Iโ€™m aware of at least 2 applications that were withdrawn when finally being contacted because they felt they were too old, the grandkids had grown up or they felt settled where they were with good friends etc.ย 
ย 

Conversely the queue could grow. There are special ย provisions for certain groups to jump the queue ,eg , 103 changing to 143 asย they retain their original queue date (immi are only processing 103 forย 2012 applications ย I believe, soย everybody after that date would jump straight to the top of the 143ย queue if they changed over! And Iโ€™ve seen posts where a lot are doing that )ย . Ukrainian refugees, old retirees on 405ย /410 visas, ministerial intervention etc. ย 
The queue is not static in other words. The numbers rise andย ย fall all the time. The projected rise in fees never actually happened either so people may just still ย go aheadย 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

Hi All, first time poster here.ย 

Myย mom's 143ย application was lodged in June 2017 (offshore)ย and she's currently on visitor visa with the No further stay condition, which will expireย in October 2023.

I was told that when her 143 visa is approved (hopefully soon), she can't simply switch her visitor visa over to 143 in Australia butย would have to go back home to receive the 143 visa.

I want to ask is there any way we could do to requestย for compassionate reason to allow her to remain in Australia to get her 143 once it's been approved?ย 

Thanks All.

Edited by thinh7tn

@thinh7tn

I was under the impression that the COVID-19 amendments allow for on-shore granting of 143 visas, where were you told this?

Source:ย https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/AlexHawke/Pages/parent-visa-applicants-remain-onshore-covid19.aspx

โ€œThe Government is pursuing changes to allow certain Parent visa applicants who have applied for their visa outside Australia to be granted that visa while in Australia during the COVID-19 period,โ€ Minister Hawke said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thinh7tn said:

I was told by the immigration agent that helped us with my mom's visitor visa last July.

The article @tostarย linked to, was published way back at the beginning of 2021.ย  If you were told, in July 2022, that she'd have to leave the country, then I'm sure that would be correct.ย  Covid restrictions were lifted a very long time ago.

With other visas, it's not necessary for the applicant to go all the way home.ย  I've known partner visa applicants just hop over to New Zealand for a short holiday, for instance. Maybe someone else can shed light on that.

8 minutes ago, tostar said:

ย 

Here is a Government page last updated August 2022 confirming these concessions are still valid

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19/visa-information/visa-concessions

I do notice, though, that they are only valid for people who applied for the visa before March 2021.

If you have applied outside Australia for a

• Parent (subclass 103) visa
  • Contributory Parent (subclass 173)ย visa
  • Contributory Parent (subclass 143)ย visa

and

• you applied for the visa before 24 March 2021 and
  • you were in Australia on 24 March 2021

3 hours ago, thinh7tn said:

Hi All, first time poster here.ย 

Myย mom's 143ย application was lodged in June 2017 (offshore)ย and she's currently on visitor visa with the No further stay condition, which will expireย in October 2023.

I was told that when her 143 visa is approved (hopefully soon), she can't simply switch her visitor visa over to 143 in Australia butย would have to go back home to receive the 143 visa.

I want to ask is there any way we could do to requestย for compassionate reason to allow her to remain in Australia to get her 143 once it's been approved?ย 

Thanks All.

Was she in Australia on 24 March 2021 and had had continuous stay since then?ย ย If not the concession forย bridging visa will not be valid. She will have to leave Australia for a few days then comeย back in to validate 143 when itโ€™s ready for grant. Most fly out to Bali, Fiji or NZ.ย 

Hi guys, thank you allย so much for your advice.ย 

No she wasn't here on 24 March 2021 unfortunately. She only arrived last October 2022 on visitor visa so unfortunately she will have to exit for a few days then if there's no other way to get her to stay when her 143 is granted ๐Ÿ˜ž

13 hours ago, thinh7tn said:

No she wasn't here on 24 March 2021 unfortunately. She only arrived last October 2022 on visitor visa so unfortunately she will have to exit for a few days then if there's no other way to get her to stay when her 143 is granted ๐Ÿ˜ž

To be honest and say this very humbly, there is a very unlikely chance of her getting 143 granted before October 2023. You might (*might*) get request to submit additional documents before October 2023 but then the remaining process of AoS will also take some time. So IMHO chances are bleak, and she would have to leave Australia after her Visitor visa expires.

13 hours ago, thinh7tn said:

Unfortunately unless the govt increase the quota itโ€™s unlikely that she will get her visa for quite some time yet! There wereย ย 9000 applications in May and June 2017ย 
Have a look at thisย https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/visa-processing-time-calculator/?visa_month=6&visa_year=2017&expect_annually=7500&dataset=2023-01-11#calculator

C1C7CBCF-E2F9-489A-854C-95827A3D227F.jpeg

@Anks

I saw some applications from March 2017 got approved that's why I was hoping hers would come around before this October. We just have to keep praying. Otherwise I'll just apply for another visitor visa for her until the time comes ๐Ÿฅฒ

@LindaH27

Oh wow! Thank you for the link Linda. It's very helpful. We got over excited thinking hers would be processed this year but I guess not ๐Ÿ˜ž

May I ask if you know which form we need to submit to update my address? We have moved since we lodged her application.

1 hour ago, thinh7tn said:

@Anks

I saw some applications from March 2017 got approved that's why I was hoping hers would come around before this October. We just have to keep praying. Otherwise I'll just apply for another visitor visa for her until the time comes ๐Ÿฅฒ

Be prepared that you can't just keep on applying for visitor visa after visitor visa after visitor visa.ย  It was allowed during Covid because people couldn't fly, but in normal times,ย  Immigration doesn't like people using visitor visas to stay long-term in Australia. If they notice, you might find her application will get rejected, so you should think about what you'll do then.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Kaybee said:

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN4798/sign?mibextid=Zxz2cZ
ย 

please sign this petition. Itโ€™s closing soon.ย 

Honestly, I think this is a waste of time. Why would the government bring more parents into Australia when they know what an enormous burden they place on medical and aged care systems which are already struggling?ย  ย Also from a political point of view, migrants wantingย to bring their parents are not a big enough percentage of the voting population to be worth the cost.ย 

I think you'd stand more chance of success if you lobbied the British government to loosen their rules about parent migration.ย  Right now, Australian parents have no way to join their children in the UK except on medical grounds. Perhaps if you could persuade the UK to set up a reciprocal scheme, Australia would see some political merit in that.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Immigration updated their website on May 16th and it appears that they are going above the cap this year as they have progressed with applications with a queue/lodgement date of May 2017 now (previously was March 2017 earlier this year).

Note this is for Contributory Parent visa applications.

Wonder what the driver for this is?

9 minutes ago, tostar said:

Immigration updated their website on May 16th and it appears that they are going above the cap this year as they have progressed with applications with a queue/lodgement date of May 2017 now (previously was March 2017 earlier this year).

Note this is for Contributory Parent visa applications.

Wonder what the driver for this is?

They said UP to May 2017ย ย meaning to the end of April. Even when they reach the quota for the year (especially so close to the end of the financial year) they carry on processing for grants in the next financial year. They donโ€™t stop working just because the quota has been reached! In fact out of the 6800 annual quota for contributory parents 112 have been reserved for existing holders of 405 & 410 visas which are no longer available for new applicants so they certainly arenโ€™t going above the cap !ย ย 

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

They said UP to May 2017ย ย meaning to the end of April. Even when they reach the quota for the year (especially so close to the end of the financial year) they carry on processing for grants in the next financial year. They donโ€™t stop working just because the quota has been reached! In fact out of the 6800 annual quota for contributory parents 112 have been reserved for existing holders of 405 & 410 visas which are no longer available for new applicants so they certainly arenโ€™t going above the cap !ย ย 

That's a great reflection on why things are moving, thank you!

23 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

@tostarย you mightย ย findย ย this interesting from @Alan Collett
ย 

Iโ€™ve crossed out the non contributory so the total needs adjusting to further answer your queryย 

IMG_4446.jpeg

Very useful resource, thanks for sharing! Definitely still room for more progress this financial year