Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

On 26/03/2022 at 22:49, LindaH27 said:

405 and 410 actually did very well-  they were able to apply for 143 without meeting the balance of family test  or paying AOS. In fact 125 of the 3600 grants are reserved for exactly those defunct visas. 

I hope the senate enquiry makes a good result for 143 - whatever they decide will not  be because of media attention but because two MPs  Nick Mckim and Julian Hill  raised awareness and people were  given the chance to make submissions  You cannot make submissions after the closing date. There are more Australians against more migration than there are for migration,  especially of old people who have made no contribution to Medicare unlike  Australians  who have paid into Medicare all their working lives. $50,000 goes nowhere in Medicare when  just a hip operation can cost $30,000!! 

There may be some hope regarding the current backlog.

The 109 page report showing the outcome of the Senate enquiry has been published and can be down loaded from the following link.

https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/committees/reportsen/024683/toc_pdf/Theefficacy,fairness,timelinessandcostsoftheprocessingandgrantingofvisaclasseswhichprovidefororallowforfamilyandpartnerreunions.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf

The main recommendations made in the Senate enquiry relating to parent visas and family reunion are made on page 95 of document (page105 of pdf) and page 100 of document (Page 110 of pdf)

Based on recommendation 8 there may be the possibility that parent visa quota levels are increased to allow the current backlogs to be cleared whilst allowing for future applications to be cleared in a reasonable timeframe. As Linda has already mentioned the quota has been increased to 6000 places in the budget from 4500 places but this is still well short of the 8925 places that were available in 2013/2014 migration year.

Recommendation 9  suggests that contributory parent visas should be abolished and non contributory parent visas for all applicants be retained and processed in order of application.

image.png.85ad3bb56f6f738b0ac761daa816fb85.pngimage.png.04429c546f7b10bc76e259c3801b5602.pngimage.png.fcc86d140dcb5c28868769bc5bbde842.png

31 minutes ago, AJM22 said:

The 109 page report showing the outcome of the Senate enquiry has been published and can be down loaded from the following link.

https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/committees/reportsen/024683/toc_pdf/Theefficacy,fairness,timelinessandcostsoftheprocessingandgrantingofvisaclasseswhichprovidefororallowforfamilyandpartnerreunions.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf

The main recommendations made in the Senate enquiry relating to parent visas and family reunion are made on page 95 of document (page105 of pdf) and page 100 of document (Page 110 of pdf)

Based on recommendation 8 there may be the possibility that parent visa quota levels are increased to allow the current backlogs to be cleared whilst allowing for future applications to be cleared in a reasonable timeframe. As Linda has already mentioned the quota has been increased to 6000 places in the budget from 4500 places but this is still well short of the 8925 places that were available in 2013/2014 migration year.

Recommendation 9  suggests that contributory parent visas should be abolished and non contributory parent visas for all applicants be retained and processed in order of application.

image.png.85ad3bb56f6f738b0ac761daa816fb85.pngimage.png.04429c546f7b10bc76e259c3801b5602.pngimage.png.fcc86d140dcb5c28868769bc5bbde842.png

I think in reading it that there are only 2 recommendations from the senate - mostly about improving the IT. Recommendations 1-9 which come later are solely recommendation by Nick McKim from the Greens not the senate so won’t carry weight 
Also if non contributory and contributory are merged and dealt with by date then vast majority in early dates will be the Non contributory (only dealing with 2012 now) which will push every other visa further down and extend the processing time

Edited by LindaH27

9 hours ago, AJM22 said:

The 109 page report showing the outcome of the Senate enquiry has been published.....

Based on recommendation 8 there may be the possibility that parent visa quota levels are increased to allow the current backlogs to be cleared whilst allowing for future applications to be cleared in a reasonable timeframe......

Unfortunately that's misleading.   Those recommendations are NOT the official recommendations of the committee.  They are just one senator's opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Arashtinbenmik said:

Hello all, 

many update?! I saw someone who was called from August 2016?!?! 

I’ve got phone call from immigration after they emailed me regarding providing more documents. She said: they nearly reached quota for this year. I need to be hurry otherwise i have to wait until next year.

applied 173 June 28th 2016

2 minutes ago, Jess2201 said:

I’ve got phone call from immigration after they emailed me regarding providing more documents. She said: they nearly reached quota for this year. I need to be hurry otherwise i have to wait until next year.

applied 173 June 28th 2016

If you don’t get it by end June you’ll get it pretty quickly after they move into July. Their financial year runs from 1st July to end June so it should be sometime this year. Probably quicker than 143 as 173 don’t pay the big AOS charge I think. 

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

If you don’t get it by end June you’ll get it pretty quickly after they move into July. Their financial year runs from 1st July to end June so it should be sometime this year. Probably quicker than 143 as 173 don’t pay the big AOS charge I think. 

This is really true! I was like: new fiancial year is not too far away… health check is probably the hardest thing. Cant get appointment until Mid June.

my advise is: keep checking and refreshing the page. I am lucky enough to get a spot for health check in 3 weeks.

So finger crossed i can make it before June

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we applied for 143 visa for my my on Feb 2017 and up until now we haven't heard anything from Immi except the confirmation that they received the application and giving us application number id. I checked the website and they said that last Jan they processed up to June 2016 but that hasn't change since. I tried to import our application to Immi's website portal but it seems like 143 is not supported. I tried ringing immigration for weeks but couldn't get through.

I have couple of questions:

1. I read that some of the applicants who lodged after us already getting "queue" letter but we haven't got ours yet. We are afraid that immi have sent the queue letter via post but didn't reach my parent's home country address. Is it allowed to change the address to our address here in Australia as postal service here are more reliable?
2. We provided an email address during our lodgement, does anyone know if Immi do sent emails for updates or whenever there is already a case officer for our application?
3. Any reliable forum/thread that you use to track the current processing times for 143 visa.

Thank you very much in advance

5 hours ago, nold888 said:

Hi, we applied for 143 visa for my my on Feb 2017 and up until now we haven't heard anything from Immi except the confirmation that they received the application and giving us application number id. I checked the website and they said that last Jan they processed up to June 2016 but that hasn't change since. I tried to import our application to Immi's website portal but it seems like 143 is not supported. I tried ringing immigration for weeks but couldn't get through.

I have couple of questions:

1. I read that some of the applicants who lodged after us already getting "queue" letter but we haven't got ours yet. We are afraid that immi have sent the queue letter via post but didn't reach my parent's home country address. Is it allowed to change the address to our address here in Australia as postal service here are more reliable?
2. We provided an email address during our lodgement, does anyone know if Immi do sent emails for updates or whenever there is already a case officer for our application?
3. Any reliable forum/thread that you use to track the current processing times for 143 visa.

Thank you very much in advance

They have just started on July 2016. 
143 is solely a paper application therefore won’t  show in immi account 

Applications made before June 2018 have their lodgement date as their queue date. It’s only those made after June 2018 that are contacted  a few years later and subsequently given a queue date 

You will always be contacted via email once your application reaches the top of the queue 

You can get an idea of of how many people are in front of you here https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

The same agent has a calculator you can use to give an approximate date for grant of visa. @Alan Collett of Go Matilda also posts on here

Currently there’s 4500 grants per year split between 3600 for contributory visas (173, , 143, 884 & 864) and 900 for non contributory (103 & 804). It’s going up to 6000 from July but we don’t yet know how it will be split. 

I’m afraid you probably still have a couple of years to wait 

On 19/05/2022 at 14:34, LindaH27 said:

They have just started on July 2016. 
143 is solely a paper application therefore won’t  show in immi account 

Applications made before June 2018 have their lodgement date as their queue date. It’s only those made after June 2018 that are contacted  a few years later and subsequently given a queue date 

You will always be contacted via email once your application reaches the top of the queue 

You can get an idea of of how many people are in front of you here https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

The same agent has a calculator you can use to give an approximate date for grant of visa. @Alan Collett of Go Matilda also posts on here

Currently there’s 4500 grants per year split between 3600 for contributory visas (173, , 143, 884 & 864) and 900 for non contributory (103 & 804). It’s going up to 6000 from July but we don’t yet know how it will be split. 

I’m afraid you probably still have a couple of years to wait 

Much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am aware from the other posts that someone from July 2016 has recently been contacted to do health and police checks. But I am just wondering if anyone who had lodged their 143 application in June 2016 has actually been granted their visas already?? (especially those that had lodged their application towards the end of June).

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have just got my visa 173 today. Thank you everyone foe being so helpful in this group. I am currently in Australia. Do I need to tell immigration regarding activating my visa? As it said I should not arrive after june 14, 2023.

should i apply for 143 now or i can wait for another 6 months?

Applied 173 28/6/2016

asked for further documents 28/4/2022 (got a phone call from immigration regarding they nearly reached the cap for this financial year so they asked me to get all documents ready asap)

applied all further documents 25/5/2022

asked for second vac 9/6/2022

visa granted 14/6/2022

• Congratulations 4

Hello everyone,

my mum just got visa 173 now i am applying her 143 visa. 

form 47A: i am the only child and i am aus citizen. Do i need to fill my information in this form?

please help.!!! I have been reading all information and at the moment I believe i don’t have to fill this form. Am I correct?

Hi All,

A guy on the facebook 143 page reported on 14th June;

My mum received her notification from the department to submit for aos and police clearance- date of lodgment - 9th Aug 2016

That's the latest one I've seen and quite exciting for me and the Mrs as our lodgement date was 17th Aug 2016 and acknowledgement 19th Aug 2016. Fingers crossed we hear something soon - and same for other 2016 applicants.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulM said:

Hi All,

A guy on the facebook 143 page reported on 14th June;

My mum received her notification from the department to submit for aos and police clearance- date of lodgment - 9th Aug 2016

That's the latest one I've seen and quite exciting for me and the Mrs as our lodgement date was 17th Aug 2016 and acknowledgement 19th Aug 2016. Fingers crossed we hear something soon - and same for other 2016 applicants.

There are later ones than that Paul. See my signature below.  We are being granted next week while we leave Australia for a week.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Biggsy said:

There are later ones than that Paul. See my signature below.  We are being granted next week while we leave Australia for a week.

Thanks Biggsy.

By the looks of it his mum's application was about a month after yours. Great news that yours is now granted though, and the timeline from the request for medicals etc to granting of around 2 months is very encouraging. I'm in Aus on a BVB and my wife on a bridging while they process her latest tourist visa application (I happened to hold a valid tourist visa in 2016 when we applied while hers had just expired). Looks like we could be in the final stages of the 143 soon.

Cheers,

Paul

Just be aware that there is quite a queue/backlog for BUPA medicals so book as soon as you are requested. The earliest we could have booked in the Brisbane area was at least a 6 week wait. As we are on the sunny coast we decided to travel up to Bundaberg because the appointments were only about 3 weeks. However on the day we had to travel to 2 other sites for the blood tests and X-rays. Blood  tests were in a shop in the middle of a shopping centre/mall with a long queue 🙄 (10 min walk away). X-rays were another 35 min walk away.  Not sure if any other places are like this but just be prepared that transport may be needed on the day. 

Everyone make sure you take your passport. There was another couple which turned up with driving licences for photo ID and they were turned away.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Biggsy said:

Just be aware that there is quite a queue/backlog for BUPA medicals so book as soon as you are requested. The earliest we could have booked in the Brisbane area was at least a 6 week wait. As we are on the sunny coast we decided to travel up to Bundaberg because the appointments were only about 3 weeks. However on the day we had to travel to 2 other sites for the blood tests and X-rays. Blood  tests were in a shop in the middle of a shopping centre/mall with a long queue 🙄 (10 min walk away). X-rays were another 35 min walk away.  Not sure if any other places are like this but just be prepared that transport may be needed on the day. 

Everyone make sure you take your passport. There was another couple which turned up with driving licences for photo ID and they were turned away.

Good luck!

Thanks Biggsy - good advice.