Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Just now, April said:

Hopefully the report will have some recommendations about speeding up the parents migration process! Hopefully the government will increase the cap from 3600 to at least 7000. 
From the numbers in the pipeline, it appears my parents (applied June 2017) would have to wait another 4.5 years for processing - that would be a 8.5 years for a 143 visa.

To be honest I’m not really hopeful. The last review they did in 2016 made 4 recommendations. 

1. introduce long term temporary parent visa

2. reduce the annual quota

3. increase the charge for contributory visas

4. stop 804 except for compelling and compassionate reasons 

The first two have already taken place!

Australia (like countries worldwide) is having to  cope with an ageing population - and doesn’t really want to take many more in 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, 

My parents applied for 143 visa in May 2021. My sister was in the process of getting her date of birth changed (to correct one)  on her passport. She wasn’t sure about authorities changing the date of birth so we went with what it was on her old passport. Now she received her new passport with correct date of birth. How do i update this on my parents 143 visa application and do i have to complete any form and attach her old passport (cancelled) and new passport (current)?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

22 minutes ago, Mail2sid said:

Hi Everyone, 

My parents applied for 143 visa in May 2021. My sister was in the process of getting her date of birth changed (to correct one)  on her passport. She wasn’t sure about authorities changing the date of birth so we went with what it was on her old passport. Now she received her new passport with correct date of birth. How do i update this on my parents 143 visa application and do i have to complete any form and attach her old passport (cancelled) and new passport (current)?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Think you need a form  to fill in. Google for it. How old is your sister? I only ask because if you’ve only put your application in this year there’s potentially a waiting list of around 18 years! As a dependant your sister would not be considered as such once she reached the age of 23

7 hours ago, Mail2sid said:

Thank you Linda. My sister is 35 years old and is not one of the applicant. Her details are only listed on the application as a child of my parents (in order to meet balance of family test) 

Oh I see  - is this something new? I wasn’t asked for my sisters passport details when I applied 

1 hour ago, Mail2sid said:

Not sure if this is new however when my parents were completing their form they had to mention childrens details (including date of birth) in their application (form 47PA) 

They don't have to attach passports though. Many people do not have them, for one thing. The date of birth given should have been the correct one, regardless of what was printed n a passport. 

Our Visa 143 application was acknowledged late June 2016 so we are desperately hoping that we hear from WA Parents in the next few months, but who do they contact?  Is it the applicant or the sponsor?  If we are visiting Australia when they contact us, do we need any documents or copies of documents with us.

Thank you to all the knowledgeable people who take time to reply to our questions!

On 25/10/2021 at 22:33, Jan.tt said:

Our Visa 143 application was acknowledged late June 2016 so we are desperately hoping that we hear from WA Parents in the next few months, but who do they contact?  Is it the applicant or the sponsor?  If we are visiting Australia when they contact us, do we need any documents or copies of documents with us.

Thank you to all the knowledgeable people who take time to reply to our questions!

If you are using an agent they will contact your agent but if not then I would expect them to contact you directly - that's just my assumption but may not be correct.   I think you can get your medicals done in Australia and the police checks you apply for online anyway so as long as you have copies of all your ID like bank documents and utilities bills for your police checks you should be ok.  Form 80 might be the biggest challenge - unless you've got VERY good memories.  You could actually download that anytime though so you can gather up the information you will need in advance.  Good luck with everything - I really hope you hear something soon.

@AJM22, I thought the reduction of CPV cap to 3600 in FY2020/21 and 2021/22 is also to make some room for the partner visa? There're lots of pressure to clear the backlog of partner visa. As a result, almost 50% of the total migration planning number was allocated to family stream with vast majority went to partner visa. By the end of FY2021/22, there should only be a small number of partner visa on hand. I would assume that the planning level for parent visa would go back to at least 2019-20 level of around 6000? 

3 minutes ago, April said:

@AJM22, I thought the reduction of CPV cap to 3600 in FY2020/21 and 2021/22 is also to make some room for the partner visa? There're lots of pressure to clear the backlog of partner visa. As a result, almost 50% of the total migration planning number was allocated to family stream with vast majority went to partner visa. By the end of FY2021/22, there should only be a small number of partner visa on hand. I would assume that the planning level for parent visa would go back to at least 2019-20 level of around 6000? 

Partners are young people who will work and pay taxes and have children to create a younger population - not old people who will cost Australia  a lot of money as they age!

I totally get your frustration as I’m actually a parent who’s been waiting for 143 since June 2017  and my daughter in Australia is equally frustrated, but I feel you do need to accept the reality of the situation. 

The current senate enquiry in parent visa backlog due to report next March also includes problems with partner visas - so it’s obvious there’s still ongoing problems with partners as well. Australia needs to rebuild after the pandemic. It’s also having problems with not enough workers after those young people with temporary visas and working holiday visas went home when the borders closed as there was no support for them, so any increase in migration levels is expected to be for young people.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, April said:

@LindaH27 thank you. You are spot on that I’m still in the denial phase, not ready to move on to the acceptance phase yet… with my parents coming to visit early next year, that should make me feel a lot better

Yes it will settle eventually - just wait till next March and see if things become clearer. The whole world is upside down because of the pandemic. There’s also an election due - people can make some noise about visas then I guess 
We are actually lucky in that Australia still allows parent visas - quite a few countries don’t. Even UK - which sometimes seemed  to let almost everybody in - has only got a very restrictive parent visa.

30 years ago I did a one year course in business management after being a stay at home parent for many years - I did have a degree but felt my skills needed updating on return to employment. At that time we were discussing what was then called a “demographic timebomb”!

This was a discussion around the fact that within a few years the world would have a rapidly ageing population and what steps should be taken in light of that. Every govt shoved it under the carpet! And every country is now seeing the problems - sadly too late. 

So although Im stuck in the queue too I do realise the problems - not  that it makes the wait any easier! 

Im sure once you see your parents the last two years will seem to have gone quickly once you all get a big hug!! 

Chin up!!

• Like 2

@LindaH27 thank you so much. We just spoke to my mum and dad this afternoon - our now 2 year old couldn’t stop pointing at the screen and saying ‘nanna’ ‘nanna’ 🙂 My baby was only 6 weeks old when my parents were here last time. Now we’re expecting our second baby early next year - it would be so great (and certainly lots of happy tears) to seeing my parents again next year. We can spend lots of time together during my maternity leave next year. 

I suppose the first step for me is to accept the reality of the situation like you said, and wait till next March and see if things become clearer. My parents can then plan from there, apply 870 or just visit us every now and again like what they did before COVID. Thanks so much Linda!

4 hours ago, April said:

@LindaH27 thank you so much. We just spoke to my mum and dad this afternoon - our now 2 year old couldn’t stop pointing at the screen and saying ‘nanna’ ‘nanna’ 🙂 My baby was only 6 weeks old when my parents were here last time. Now we’re expecting our second baby early next year - it would be so great (and certainly lots of happy tears) to seeing my parents again next year. We can spend lots of time together during my maternity leave next year. 

I suppose the first step for me is to accept the reality of the situation like you said, and wait till next March and see if things become clearer. My parents can then plan from there, apply 870 or just visit us every now and again like what they did before COVID. Thanks so much Linda!

You’re very welcome! . Your parents and I seem to have applied around the same time. Hopefully next year a five year 870 may be enough - or maybe by some miracle they will increase the quota after the senate report. We just have to live our lives as best we can and not  be consumed with waiting because that’s a waste of your life ! Good luck. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TADec16 said:

Oh yes I’m quite sure we all know - the news flashed through social media as soon as it was announced!! 

On 07/11/2021 at 04:15, LindaH27 said:

You’re very welcome! . Your parents and I seem to have applied around the same time. Hopefully next year a five year 870 may be enough - or maybe by some miracle they will increase the quota after the senate report. We just have to live our lives as best we can and not  be consumed with waiting because that’s a waste of your life ! Good luck. 

Thanks so much Linda! Yes, my parents applied only couple of days apart from you 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Arashtinbenmik said:

Anyone got any updates from immigration?!

I understand you’re tired of waiting but repeated questions asking whether anybody has any updates are likely to go unanswered, I’m afraid. People will /will not choose to post if they have an update. 

• 2 weeks later...

Temporary to Permanent

Contributory Parent (143)

Contributory Parent (Temp) (173) Contributory Aged Parent (864)*

Contributory Aged Parent (Temp) (884)*

Parent (103) + Aged Parent (804)**

Acknowledge New Application

30 Oct 2021

Queue Assessment

N/A

Lodged Sep 2018

Lodged May 2019

Visa Assessment

Sep 2021

Lodged/Queued

up to 31 May 2016

Date Queued

up to 31 Oct 2010

* updated 17 Nov 2021

CORRECT FORMATTING BELOW.

Edited by PaulM
formatting error in table

Sorry - the formatting went wrong. This should be better.

Temporary to Permanent

Contributory Parent (143)

Contributory Parent (Temp) (173) Contributory Aged Parent (864)*

Contributory Aged Parent (Temp) (884)*

Parent (103) + Aged Parent (804)**

Acknowledge New Application

30 Oct 2021

Queue Assessment

N/A

Lodged Sep 2018

Lodged May 2019

Visa Assessment

Sep 2021

Lodged/Queued

up to 31 May 2016

Date Queued

up to 31 Oct 2010

* updated 17 Nov 2021

If the cap 3600 for 143 visa remains, it’s not going to get any faster…. Everyone was telling me that with each migrant leaving Australia for their aged parents, there’re more people wanting to move to Australia. It’s probably true, but I’m sad to see some wonderful people leaving. Today I just learnt that my regular GP (who is also married to an Australian) is moving back to England with her husband and two young kids, as her Dad is unwell. She’s the GP for our whole family (my little one and myself really like her!) and I still remembered that we chatted “let’s hope the vaccine rate goes up and we can see our families soon”. Last year my good friend at work also moved back to Europe with his family to look after his in-laws. I hope the government will consider the importance of parents to skilled migrants when they think of the migration planning next year!