Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 hour ago, ruby1121 said:

Thank you so much for sharing this valuable information.

It is a great help for me to understand the current situation.

Hi Ruby

You are welcome.  Enjoy your stay in Australia whist your 143 visa is being processed.

Hopefully it gives people a more realistic idea of how long it may take for their applications to be processed based on the current cap level of 3600 CPV places and queue to enable them to make better plans in meantime. 

Ideally the Immi website should really display how many applications are on hand at any point in time to allow new applicants to make an estimate of how long processing might take based on the annual cap level set at the time as the current situation where new applications made in August 2021 may take 16-17 years to be processed is ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 16:42, Gadgetfreak28 said:

Just an update for everyone. We have received the request to pay 2nd VAC yesterday. The email came through after months of inactivity, and we're thrilled. Now working to get the funds ready, and will be able to make the payment sometime next week. All the best to everyone here. 

May I please ask another question related to the 2nd VAC charge?

I applied for my parents in 2017 and just wanted to check when we are required to pay the charge, it will be the charge applicable in 2017, when we applied right? (Not the most upto date cost).

Thanks a lot and good luck with everything else ☺️

44 minutes ago, Pavz59 said:

I applied for my parents in 2017 and just wanted to check when we are required to pay the charge, it will be the charge applicable in 2017, when we applied right? (Not the most upto date cost).

hi Gadget, 👌🥰💙 congratulations! When did you apply your application?

2 hours ago, Virus Alert1 said:

Hi All, - Please help me.

My parents do not have a birth certificate and marriage certificate. What alternative documents I can provide? 

It’s easy for them to obtain copies (subject to whatever country they are in I suppose) have they/you searched online as to how to do so?

Thanks so much AJM22. The information and data analysis is really useful. I’ve signed the petition.

It’s unbelievable how long it takes now - I applied my parents 143 in July 2017 and back then the IMMI website said it will only take 3 years or so if I recalled correctly. Now it has been more than 4 years, and if the quota remains 3600, for people applied in June 2017, it still needs to wait for another 6 years? (20000/3600 per year). Am I calculating correctly? 

With the recent news of including parents as immediate family, I’m planning to have my parents coming over early next year (granddad and nanna last seen our baby in late 2019 and our baby is almost 2 years old now, with our second baby on the way. It brought me tears when seeing other Aussie grandparents playing with their grandchildren in the playground). I’m also concerned that my parents are not getting any younger (65+) and it’s a pain to imagine if they get sick without me being around. Are any other visa options for them after they come next year on 600 visa while onshore ? Apply for 870 or 804 or 806? What’s the effect on the existing 143 application? 

Thanks heaps lovely people 

8 hours ago, Virus Alert1 said:

I tried all possible solutions but it is none of them are practical, so looking for advice on what alternative documents I can provide? 

The only thing I can suggest is have a consultation with a migrant agent (there are several excellent ones who regularly post on here) They will know what if anything can be done about your situation. The bottom line is your parents are going to have to prove certain things like their birth/marriage.  I’d think only an agent would know if there’s a way around it.   

23 minutes ago, April said:

It’s unbelievable how long it takes now - I applied my parents 143 in July 2017 and back then the IMMI website said it will only take 3 years or so if I recalled correctly. ...

Are any other visa options for them after they come next year on 600 visa while onshore ? Apply for 870 or 804 or 806? What’s the effect on the existing 143 application? 

This is the disgraceful thing.  Although the IMMI website said 3 years when you applied, all that meant was, "we are now processing applications we got 3 years ago".  They already knew it was going to take them at least twice as long to process new applications, because there had been such a massive influx of applications the previous year. 

AFAIK, if they apply for another visa, it won't affect their 143 application, but I would check with a migration agent.   

The main thing to be aware of is that it will not be easy for your parents, living on a bridging visa.  While you're on a bridging visa, you're in limbo.  They will cease to be a legal resident of their home country, but yet they won't be a permanent resident of Australia. If they are currently living in the UK, then they can get reciprocal Medicare so that, at least, isn't a worry.  However, I'm sure you know that Medicare doesn't cover everything like the NHS does, and they can't get the same health insurance as you either.  If they want health insurance, they'll have to pay for Overseas Visitor cover, which is costly.

They won't get subsidised prescriptions like pensioners in Australia do, which is a big issue in old age when we all typically end up needing regular medication.    For instance my sister, who's in her 70's, takes various heart pills and blood pressure pills.  If she came to live in Australia, she'd have a monthly bill of about $120 for medication whereas in the UK, they're all free.   Also their UK pension will be frozen at whatever the rate was when they left the UK.  They can't leave Australia without applying for special permission (BVB).  If they want to buy a home, they'll be treated as a foreign investor, have to apply for special permission, and pay a hefty surcharge (around $45,000 on a $500,000 home)  on the purchase price.   Essentially, it can be done, but they will need deep pockets.  

Edited by Marisawright

Could I just add, ensure that the agent you consult is a member of MARA (such as Alan Collett who regularly posts here).  There are some unscrupulous people who call themselves agents  especially offshore who will promise you the world and do nothing but take your money.

• Like 1

Hi April 

Yes based on the annual cap of 3600 places and the number of applications in the queue up to July 2017 it would look like the applications are unlikely to be processed for another 5.5 years if assuming a 5% rejection rate.

When applying for an 870 visa there is a condition that once the 870 visa has been granted that you cannot then apply for a 143 visa afterwards. 
143 visa applications that have already been applied for are not affected if subsequently applying for an 870 visa. 

Hopefully you will be able to catch up with your parents during 2022.

I applied my 173 visa 28/6/2016 when it said processing time 12-18 months. Now it’s gone up to 64 months and I am 64 months now still no news.

high blood pressure only cost $10 

i am in aus at the moment due to covid on 600 visa. Always have private health insurance with HCF $46 monthly. i can see doctor with gap free, had cardiology done free etc. so HCF is pretty good! My visa will expire July 2022. Hopefully i will have some great new by then

so glad i found this group. Thank you everyone 

7 hours ago, Kukoo 19/10/16 said:

I applied 143 parent contributory parent visa on 19/10/2016, when will I hear good news

5600 applications are ahead of you in the queue so based on the annual cap of 3600 places you can expect to wait another 1.5 years. 

On 16/10/2021 at 16:54, Pavz59 said:

Once you have completed all the requirements such as medicals, police checks and completed AOS bond, you will get to make a payment for the 2nd VAC. As far as I know the amounts haven't changed. It should be $87,200 for both parents. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the responses to my queries - really appreciate. The fact that there are still at least 5.5 years to wait for my parents visa (June 2017) is disheartening. Hopefully there are more people signing the petition https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN3366. As I understand the previous petition of parents are immediate family got more than 70000 signatures and was tabled at Parliament and eventually led to the exemption for parents. I would also carefully consider my vote in the next election. 

52 minutes ago, April said:

Thank you all for the responses to my queries - really appreciate. The fact that there are still at least 5.5 years to wait for my parents visa (June 2017) is disheartening. Hopefully there are more people signing the petition ......As I understand the previous petition of parents are immediate family got more than 70000 signatures and was tabled at Parliament and eventually led to the exemption for parents. I would also carefully consider my vote in the next election. 

I suspect that exemption was added only because the government was already anticipating opening the borders in November/December this year.  In fact, NSW wanted to open to allcomers including tourists in November, so it wasn't much of a leap at all.   Opening the borders so people can live in Australia permanently is a very different thing, and one that would cost the  Australian taxpayer millions of dollars in medical costs, pensions and aged care. That would be a very big decision for any government to make.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I suspect that exemption was added only because the government was already anticipating opening the borders in November/December this year.  In fact, NSW wanted to open to allcomers including tourists in November, so it wasn't much of a leap at all.   Opening the borders so people can live in Australia permanently is a very different thing, and one that would cost the  Australian taxpayer millions of dollars in medical costs, pensions and aged care. That would be a very big decision for any government to make.

You are absolutely right and this is a very object comment. With my parents getting older and it has become increasing difficult to have them living so far away, especially when international travel now is less convenient than before. I like the weather and the lifestyle and Australia has become my home (married to a wonderful oz husband, expecting our second baby now, and have a career I love), it makes moving back difficult. 

Edited by April

1 hour ago, April said:

You are absolutely right and this is a very object comment. With my parents getting older and it has become increasing difficult to have them living so far away, especially when international travel now is less convenient than before. I like the weather and the lifestyle and Australia has become my home (married to a wonderful oz husband, expecting our second baby now, and have a career I love), it makes moving back difficult. 

I don't envy people in "mixed marriages".   No matter which country you choose, one partner is a very long way from their family.   In the case of Brits, there is no way to get Australian parents into the UK, so you're left with little choice.   

However, I think there will be a rise in the number of British migrants heading home after this. For those that don't have Australian partners or links, then it becomes a straight choice -- what's more important, the weather/lifestyle or my family?     There will be a fair number who choose family.

Edited by Marisawright

22 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

What?.. senate enquiry postponed to March 2022!,

CB2909D1-2C23-4AA6-8258-6F099921800C.jpeg

Hopefully the report will have some recommendations about speeding up the parents migration process! Hopefully the government will increase the cap from 3600 to at least 7000. 
From the numbers in the pipeline, it appears my parents (applied June 2017) would have to wait another 4.5 years for processing - that would be a 8.5 years for a 143 visa.