Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Interesting that in all the cost calculations for parents there's no mention of payback for all the talent creamed off the rest of the world without paying a penny for the training. i.e. It costs the uk around £250k to train one doctor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biggsy said:

Interesting that in all the cost calculations for parents there's no mention of payback for all the talent creamed off the rest of the world without paying a penny for the training

Irrelevant.  For every migrant who wants to bring their parents with them, there is a migrant who is happy to live in Australia and leave their parents at home.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I also think that they’ve diverted some staff from parent visas to other sections dealing with emergency bridging visas and Covid visas to keep people lawfully on shore who were stuck once the borders closed - although I think some were highly delighted as they got an emergency bridging visa which enabled them to stay till 143 is granted many years in the future!! 

More people now accessing Medicare with  those 143 visa holders on bridging visas also now costing the country money, while contributing nothing. Similar to people on the 804 visa taking advantage of a legal way to stay in Australia. It’s irrelevant that people think it’s unfair, the 804  visa is in place for the moment and there is nothing wrong with anyone eligible to apply for it. Yes it probably is unsustainable long term, but that’s for the government to sort out, seems unfair to blame anyone on the 804 visa for being here.

Does anyone know how many people are in Australia on the 804 visa?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see major changes to all the parent visas.

• Like 1

Yes but I doubt there’s many of the 143 who got emergency visas as they had a very strict set of conditions to get it. Many who wanted it didn’t fit the criteria and have ended up on temporary 600 visas.  Its unlikely there will be any more Covid concession visas granted as there’s now an exit plan as the borders are opening. Unlike 804 which has been in place as long as 143 and may carry on. The queue for non contributory visas is about the same as the contributory visas but could surge once the borders open and people change from 143 due to the long wait  

I did read that there’s a thought  they may not stop the 804 but will instead stop any Medicare instead and make people pay for private health insurance. But that also then opens up the query-  well 143 could go onshore too and pay privately! 

Edited by LindaH27

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I also think that they’ve diverted some staff from parent visas to other sections dealing with emergency bridging visas and Covid visas to keep people lawfully on shore who were stuck once the borders closed - although I think some were highly delighted as they got an emergency bridging visa which enabled them to stay till 143 is granted many years in the future!! 

I am sure this is the case.  I work for central government and since Covid I have not done my usual job but have been covering different roles depending where the priorities are.

Edited by MillieB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

More people now accessing Medicare with  those 143 visa holders on bridging visas also now costing the country money, while contributing nothing. Similar to people on the 804 visa taking advantage of a legal way to stay in Australia. It’s irrelevant that people think it’s unfair, the 804  visa is in place for the moment and there is nothing wrong with anyone eligible to apply for it. Yes it probably is unsustainable long term, but that’s for the government to sort out, seems unfair to blame anyone on the 804 visa for being here.

Does anyone know how many people are in Australia on the 804 visa?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see major changes to all the parent visas.

Is it legal to go to Australia on a tourist visa with no intention of being a tourist? 

22 minutes ago, MillieB said:

Is it legal to go to Australia on a tourist visa with no intention of being a tourist? 

Strangely enough, it is.  The rule is that it's not illegal to arrive on a tourist visa with the intention of staying permanently.   However, it's not illegal to arrive on a tourist visa and then apply for another visa.  The Immigration official just has to be satisfied that you'll leave obediently if your application is refused. 

Just checked the website and it says 

Assessment

We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.

1. Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
  2. Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.

Don't arrange to stay permanently in Australia until we grant the visa. We will let you know in writing if we grant you the visa.

Edited by LindaH27

This  petition EN3366 is about increasing the quota of family and parent visa.

Please sign the petition and bring this to more people’s attention. Just one click may bring our parents one year earlier. This is the link below and please get as more people as you are able to, really appreciate it.

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN3366

On 30/09/2021 at 17:39, AJM22 said:

The migration report for migration year 2020/2021 is available at the following link

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-stats/files/report-migration-program-2020-21.pdf

In migration year the 4500 Parent Visa Cap were fulfilled including the reduced number of 3600 Contributory Visas even during Covid-19. It would therefore appear that the shortfall on grant of Parent visas in previous 4 migration years was deliberate to reduce the number of parent visas being granted.  Refusal/Rejection rates were 6.70% in migration year 2021/2022.

image.png.2b163cb99efb8d1b1552edb5c6b79d6d.png

image.thumb.png.e3f00fc02b94347da2219837ec338635.png

image.png.a63c9cb36c717bb87aa670bd1880439b.png

Outstanding contributory parent visa applications in train as of 15th September 2021 is available at the following link. 288 applications from May 2016 are yet to processed as of this date.

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/CP-visa-applications-in-train-15-Sept-2021.pdf

The following table gives you an idea of how much longer applications may take to be processed/granted from 1st September 2021 depending on month application was originally made based on the current annual cap of 3600 Contributory Parent Visa places versus different rejection rates at 0% 5% 10% 15% and 20% (Columns 8 to 12) . Refusal rate for 2020-2021 was 6.70%.

image.png.045a64557fa8907e6c2a59db79ccbb18.png

So basically someone applying for a Contributory Parent Visa in August 2021 will now have to wait 16 to 17 years for their application to be processed assuming the current annual CPV CAP of 3600 places and current outstanding queue level of 65834 CPV applications.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

image.png.03773bb605ba02bbc4cd159c011955dd.png

There is currently a senate enquiry going on into the problems to do with the queue for family and parent visas and the outcome of this was originally meant to be made available  10th August 2021 but has now been delayed until 25th November 2021 probably due to Covid-19 issues in Australia.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Legal_and_Constitutional_Affairs/FamilyandPartnerVisas

It is unlikely that this enquiry will change the current situation as the current backlog is partly due to recommendations made in the Australian Productivity Review of  April 2016.

https://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migrant-intake/report/migrant-intake-report.pdf

The document provide an interesting insight into recommended policy   (In relation to Family reunion see pages 469 to 485)

From this document it appears that permanent visas for parents will be reduced significantly/discouraged in the future due to modelled lifetime costs per individual that will be incurred by the Australian taxpayer during their lifetime after a permanent visa has been granted.  In this report it suggests based on financial modelling that $335000 to $410000 costs are incurred by the taxpayer over the lifetime of every permanent parent visa granted and that the 143 visa cost of $47295 (now $47825) is heavily subsidised and only covers a fraction of this lifetime cost.

It would  however be interesting to be able to see the cost breakdown by category per individual from any modelling to better understand how the $335000 to $410000 cumulated lifetime fiscal cost per individual is apportioned as it probably does not assume that many parents that may be relocating to Australia may already have sufficient assets accumulated in their original country of origin such as property, savings and pensions which will be used to live on when relocating to Australia.

In this document the following recommendations were made to Australian Government 

image.png.0eb269b0d4bda212f45709d4ce2d503f.png

Two of the recommended measures from this review have already been implemented in the form of the 870 visa (flexible temporary parent visa) and reduction in the annual cap for contributory parent visas (reduced from 7175 places in 2018/2019 migration year to the current level of 3600 places in 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 migration years).

It is possible that the shortfall in granted parents visas in the four migration year periods from 1st July 2016 to 30th June 2020 against the available cap is deliberate in response to recommendations made in this report until the annual cap was officially lowered to 3600 CPV places in 2020/2021.  In  previous migration years the annual cap in any migration year was always fulfilled with granted parent visas.

Within the document on page 483 one of the recommendations is to substantially increase the charge for Contributory Parent Visas fee levels  initially by 100% by doubling the fee.  This recommendation has not happened yet.

image.png.ab4815337b14dec334cf2a4da01ae44a.png

Higher resolution version of table attached

The following table gives you an idea of how much longer applications may take to be processed/granted from 1st September 2021 depending on month application was originally made based on the current annual cap of 3600 Contributory Parent Visa places versus different rejection rates at 0% 5% 10% 15% and 20% (Columns 8 to 12) . Refusal rate for 2020-2021 was 6.70%.

Table.thumb.jpg.68ebc51a01a9a9eb66ccf6d5c4cbe815.jpg

Historically the second Vac charge has always been that which applied at the time of application. It was around $38000 ( I think?  -  cant remember exactly) some 10 years ago and has been changed till it reached its current  amount  but it always applied only to new applications after each increase.   It would be extremely difficult to apply it retrospectively so until it is changed people will still pay the current rate and only those who apply after any such change will have to pay the extra.
 Well that’s the idea and any divergence would create a huge storm  but there has been precedent with (I believe)  -student visas in the past. 
Having said that the govt attempt to hugely increase the amount of income needed by the sponsor in AOS was swiftly withdrawn due to huge protests. 

I'm always surprised that the govt doesn’t publish the true processing time - that would certainly be the way to put people off from applying!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Members,

Please advise.

Can I apply for a tourist visa or another visa for my parents while their application for subclass 143 is under process(decision pending)?  Asking because grant on parent visa is a long wait and if my parent wants to visit us for some time in Australia and then go out from Australia.

1 hour ago, Virus Alert1 said:

Dear Members,

Please advise.

Can I apply for a tourist visa or another visa for my parents while their application for subclass 143 is under process(decision pending)?  Asking because grant on parent visa is a long wait and if my parent wants to visit us for some time in Australia and then go out from Australia.

Not at the moment.  Only citizens/PR holders are allowed to enter Australia.  I expect at some point next year your parents can visit but my guess would be it will be later in the year.

1 hour ago, Virus Alert1 said:

Dear Members,

Please advise.

As Tulip says, yes they can but not at the moment. My mum used to do 6 months UK and 6 months Australia following the sun. This was a number of years ago when the wait was only about 18 months but she did this for the 2 years prior as well whilst I established residency. So different and frustratingly protracted now but the tourist visa does offer that visiting option. There is a longer term visa as well but it’s expensive and I don’t know much about it.

Dear Members, 

I have the following questions. Please help me

1. List of documents required for visa subclass 143 
  2. Once you submit the application by post, how will you submit further documents to IMMI? For example - Police certificate, AOS..etc  
  3. Does photographs of parents should be Certified by someone? At the back of each photograph, it should be written -' This is a true photograph of [your full name].

7 minutes ago, Virus Alert1 said:

Dear Members, 

I have the following questions. Please help me

1. List of documents required for visa subclass 143 
  2. Once you submit the application by post, how will you submit further documents to IMMI? For example - Police certificate, AOS..etc  
  3. Does photographs of parents should be Certified by someone? At the back of each photograph, it should be written -' This is a true photograph of [your full name].

You can  find all the information  you need here 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143

There are already 65000 people waiting in the queue for 143 and only 3600 granted per year so new applications currently look to take around 18 years to be processed 

Hi all,

For people who have asked to pay the second visa instalment charge, may I please know what payment options are available? 
I’m just keen to know if we can pay for the second instalment using parents funds overseas. We have planned it this way, but not sure whether it’s possible or not. 
Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Pavz59 said:

For people who have asked to pay the second visa instalment charge, may I please know what payment options are available? 

The options given are credit card/paypal/BPay. If you are expecting the request to come through soon, transfer the required funds from overseas into your Australian bank account and BPay from your local bank account. There are no charges for this payment method.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gadgetfreak28 said:

The options given are credit card/paypal/BPay. If you are expecting the request to come through soon, transfer the required funds from overseas into your Australian bank account and BPay from your local bank account. There are no charges for this payment method.  

Hi 

Thanks a lot. However, I feel this might not be possible for us as there are major restrictions for my parents to transfer their funds from their current country to Australia (especially to a personal account). They have done ‘bank drafts’ previously to pay foreign expenses but not sure immigration would accept them.

Do you know whether they will give us opportunity to discuss different payment options? 

35 minutes ago, Pavz59 said:

Do you know whether they will give us opportunity to discuss different payment options? 

Not too sure at all. I personally haven't come across anyone who has used other payment options. You could try and ask the case officer once the 2nd VAC request is received. All the best. 

• Thanks 1

Hi. I've just submitted application, but my son who will be my AOS assurer has plans to work in another country for a year or two. As the AOS requires the proof of current year and preceding year salary, how does he plan in a way that allows him to work elsewhere for a year or so, and yet fulfill this requirement? Does it mean that if the wait for visa grant is expected to be well over 10 years, my son should not expect to make any plans to work abroad? 

3 hours ago, Dandan said:

Hi. I've just submitted application, but my son who will be my AOS assurer has plans to work in another country for a year or two. As the AOS requires the proof of current year and preceding year salary, how does he plan in a way that allows him to work elsewhere for a year or so, and yet fulfill this requirement? Does it mean that if the wait for visa grant is expected to be well over 10 years, my son should not expect to make any plans to work abroad? 

Normally, your son won't be asked to submit his AOS until such time as the department actually processes your visa so, unless things change dramatically in the next few years, he should be fine to be away for a couple of years - just as long as he is back in Australia for 2 or 3 years before you get to the top of the queue.  That's my understanding anyway but I may be wrong....perhaps best to check with an authorised agent?

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 23:47, AJM22 said:

This  petition EN3366 is about increasing the quota of family and parent visa.

Please sign the petition and bring this to more people’s attention. Just one click may bring our parents one year earlier. This is the link below and please get as more people as you are able to, really appreciate it.

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN3366

Thank you for sharing this link.

I signed the petition and spread this link to my on/off network.

So far, around 2300 people signed up. We need to get more people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applied 143 in Aug. 2017

Staying in Sydney with 870 visa while waiting 143 visa grant.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 00:38, AJM22 said:

Higher resolution version of table attached

Table.thumb.jpg.68ebc51a01a9a9eb66ccf6d5c4cbe815.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing this valuable information.

It is a great help for me to understand the current situation.