yipeee........I am going home...(just a holiday) but still can't wait

bug family

Hello all,

Just thought I would share that...........๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

I am at long last stepping foot out of Australia for the first time since we came here some 8 yrs ago!! ........I am going home to the UK!!.....long story short I have been homesick for most of that time and have never settled (read my previous posts if you are bored and really careย ๐Ÿ˜‚ ),ย  I have literally worked for most of them 8 yrs but have not been able to return due to not being able to afford to and also not wanting to leave my children and wife behind.

However, this homesickness has taken its toll on me mentally, I had a spark and was happy go lucky when I came here now not so much, and my wife said I needed to go back and have a holiday and enjoy myself, but also to see if that's what I really wanted, as in if I want to return to the UK for good one day, (she saved up and paid for my flight).

She has been honest and is hoping I go on holiday and 'get it out my system' , but I too have been honest and told her that is not likely to happen, it is different for her though as her parents and brother are here, I just have my children and have not seen my family since we got here.

She has made it clear that if I eventually decide to return for good in the future, I do so on my own ๐Ÿ™„

But for now, at least I have three whole weeks as a tourist in my own country lol, I cannot wait!!! I am going in December as I love Christmas back home and I am surprising my mum as she does not know I am coming, I have done my itinerary (Bletchley park, Blenham palace, stone henge, lands end, Gloucester cathedral, Cardiff the whole of the Welsh coastal route and Lots of pubs, oh yes ) I love my history and old buildings.

Anyhow I just thought I would share this with you as I have been telling literally everyone, including Bella our Pug but she doesn't seem to share my excitement for some reasonย  ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, bug family said:

Hello all,

I am at long last stepping foot out of Australia for the first time since we came here some 8 yrs ago!! ........I am going home to the UK!!.....long story short I have been homesick for most of that time and have never settled (read my previous posts if you are bored and really careย ๐Ÿ˜‚ ),ย  I have literally worked for most of them 8 yrs but have not been able to return due to not being able to afford to and also not wanting to leave my children and wife behind.

However, this homesickness has taken its toll on me mentally, I had a spark and was happy go lucky when I came here now not so much, and my wife said I needed to go back and have a holiday and enjoy myself, but also to see if that's what I really wanted, as in if I want to return to the UK for good one day, (she saved up and paid for my flight).

She has been honest and is hoping I go on holiday and 'get it out my system' , but I too have been honest and told her that is not likely to happen, it is different for her though as her parents and brother are here, I just have my children and have not seen my family since we got here.

She has made it clear that if I eventually decide to return for good in the future, I do so on my own ๐Ÿ™„

But for now, at least I have three whole weeks as a tourist in my own country lol, I cannot wait!!! I am going in December as I love Christmas back home and I am surprising my mum as she does not know I am coming, I have done my itinerary (Bletchley park, Blenham palace, stone henge, lands end, Gloucester cathedral, Cardiff the whole of the Welsh coastal route and Lots of pubs, oh yes ) I love my history and old buildings.

Anyhow I just thought I would share this with you as I have been telling literally everyone, including Bella our Pug but she doesn't seem to share my excitement for some reasonย  ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

I'm excited for you too. ย ๐Ÿ˜„You have been hankering after a holiday for a long while. ย What a great Christmas present for your Mum.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bug family said:

Hello all,

ย 

Happy for you but itโ€™s a bit bittersweet isnโ€™t it? Would you ever be able to afford regular trips to theUK to help you stay close to your children in Australia at least?

Anyhoo, have a super time. Iโ€™ve been back just over a year and very happy.ย 

Your mum will be made up! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Like 3

Hopeย you have an amazing time! I'm in Wales this week (you won't get the coast path done in 3 weeks in winter LOL!) and having a ball! We've done Cardiff so far and St David's, today. Tomorrow we head to North Pembrokeshire to see the place that my husband's gt grandfather was born. He's never felt Welsh before but this time he's really getting into the swing of it and is proudly proclaiming his Welsh heritage when asked. ย I hope you can reclaim your spark with just a sanity hit and that will allow you to keep your family together (its what saved me from wrist slitting for my last 10 years in Australia!). It may be that your compromise situation with your OH is that the family budget hasย to include a trip home for you every 1-2 years. I always found that having the next sanity hit planned helped me in the intervening period. You need to educate Bella, she should be tail wagging for you!!!!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Happy for you but itโ€™s a bit bittersweet isnโ€™t it? Would you ever be able to afford regular trips to theUK to help you stay close to your children in Australia at least?

Anyhoo, have a super time. Iโ€™ve been back just over a year and very happy.ย 

Your mum will be made up! ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks Amber snowball, I am currently studying (mature student studying a paramedicine degree) and working nightshifts in emergency, but the pay is not great after paying bills etc, so it is probably not going to be a regular event, but! .......I have just over a year to go to gain my degree and if I get employed as a paramedic then that may change I suppose, .......I have told told my mum that she is getting a present on the 9th of december, but she does not realise it is going to be me...hope she likes her present lolย ๐Ÿคฃ

• Like 2

ย 

16 hours ago, Quoll said:

Hopeย you have an amazing time! I'm in Wales this week (you won't get the coast path done in 3 weeks in winter LOL!) and having a ball! We've done Cardiff so far and St David's, today. Tomorrow we head to North Pembrokeshire to see the place that my husband's gt grandfather was born. He's never felt Welsh before but this time he's really getting into the swing of it and is proudly proclaiming his Welsh heritage when asked. ย I hope you can reclaim your spark with just a sanity hit and that will allow you to keep your family together (its what saved me from wrist slitting for my last 10 years in Australia!). It may be that your compromise situation with your OH is that the family budget hasย to include a trip home for you every 1-2 years. I always found that having the next sanity hit planned helped me in the intervening period. You need to educate Bella, she should be tail wagging for you!!!!

ย 

Hi Quoll thankyouย  ๐Ÿ˜,ย  I am doing Cardiff and St Davids as well...I also love Pembrokeshire, I like the idea of a 'sanity hit', hopefully once I qualify I will have more funds and I can go home more often ๐Ÿ˜€, I should have clarified I am doing the whole of the Welsh coastal route but by car haha I am not fit or brave enough to do it on foot in winter (although maybe stupid enough) hopefully I can start to get my spark back at Christmas time...best Christmas for a long time, tell your hubby to start taking welsh lesson he will be singing 'land of my fathers' before you know itย ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed update i only arrived back in Australia a few days ago and have been busy / jet lagged since!! ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช

I would say I am not going to waffle on...but that would be a lie lol,๐Ÿ˜‚

Anyhow two items to note:ย 

here goes, right prior to going back to the UK on my epic December trip i had wanted to take my children with me on the holiday, but simply did not have the funds to do so, my son (Daniel 11yrs) was particularly upset as he wanted to see his country of birth etc and to go on a boys trip together....... well out of the blue (call it fate or karma) a cheque arrived a few weeks before I was going for the sum of 647 pounds out of the blue!! from the student loans company, basically when we moved to Australia I carried on payingย  my student loans from over here in Australia (this was 4 or 5 years ago) well apparently I had over paid...and they sent me a refund!!, this meant the world to Daniel and to me and we purchased him a flight ticket and updated the accommodation about the extra person etc, to surprise him we wrote in a little card and sealed it in an envelope that he would be spending Christmas in the UK on a road trip with me.........he cried when he read this.๐Ÿ˜

second item: My sister informed me that my mum was a bit down and that it might be a nice surprise to tell her that i was going prior to arriving which would also help with planning so i rang her and told her that myself and Daniel where coming over....................and she also cried ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜

Right o .....onto the trip itself..what can I say.......it was absolutely amazing....i absolutely loved being home, I can not overstate it, as we flew into British airspace and I got a view of the coast for the first time I ..............cried ๐Ÿ˜‚, no really I did, my son held my hand and the bloke on the next isle gave me a funny lookย  hahaha,

From the moment we got to the airport the holiday went so well, for example at the car hire in Manchester airport, I was told "sorry the car you booked is unavailable"..oh right I thought..."so we are going to upgrade you to a new Mercedes A class", at no extra cost (bear in mind I drive a battered old mini cooper in Australia) i didn't even know where the handbrake was on the Mercedes (its a button on the dash, i had to stop and ask) the dashboard is fully electric and not unlike a spaceship in the amount of displays it had. I hit the M56 and within 5 mins it was like I had never left..honestly i felt instantly at home, I am not going to knock aus in this post but being on an actually motorway with four or five lanes as opposed to the 'free-way' consisting of two lanes we have here in Perth, even this small item made such a difference.

I could not stop smiling....we drove up to Leeds to see my mum and sister they where so happy to see us, que a round of good food and pubs for a few days, a proper pub and wide range of food, one thing I had forgotten was the range and choice of food available in the UK, we walked into a sainsburys local store and i was stood mesmerised by the range and the price...1:50 for a pack of bacon, 3 pound for a meal deal (sandwich, fruit bowl or snack and a drink) and sainsburys is not the cheapeast!! the value and choice was amazing, also the amountย  of supermarkets available (tescos, sainsbury, asda, morrisons, safeway, waitrose, etc) ...greggs sausage rolls (i am a man of simple pleasures)....McDonald sweet curry dip and banana milkshake ...the people we met where so friendly, for example we ran out of coins in a laundrette this gentleman simply put money in for us to continue drying our clothes, a lady in a shop spent time googling attractions in the area and ringing up for tickets for us both, two of the B&B's we stayed at decided not to charge any extra for Daniel staying, the hotel in gloucester upgraded us, i could go on and on.

After a couple of days we started our road trip around the UK ...the weather was cold and sometimes wet.......we loved it hahaha....we wrapped up warm, the first cold christmas in 8 years๐Ÿ˜€. They say its about the journey and not the destination well in our case it was both, Daniel was simply awestruck by the countryside, the buildings and architecture, the roads, houses, the food the beaches...we stopped in a little town called stow-on-the -wold, what a magical place straight out of a harry potter or similar novel, we went to Blenheim palace, stayed inย  yha near Stonehenge, on to lands end stood there with a storm blowing, right at the bottom of the UK blowing a gale we both got soaked and loved it, we stayed that night in an old YHA nearby (this building is 500 years old) and the power went out we where in the dark in the storm amongst the woods in a 500 year old building, i did the decent thing and told Daniel ghost stories (he wasn't keen) ..not sure why ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‚...... from here the journey continued, Gloucester cathedral magnificent, Cardiff was amazing, beautiful Tenby, and on up to Barmouth...have you ever been to Barmouth....go..just go, have a pint at the Last Inn (other pubs are available) it is a stunning place, ...then up to north Wales where we stayed in Rhyl for four nights and explored the North Wales area and caught up with old friends and colleagues, they where all very welcoming and happy to see us, i have to say i kept asking Daniel for his unbiased opinion and pointed out to him that we where in the depth of winter and that it could look a little bleak and dark, he kept assuring me that he loved it and was having an amazing time (he is still talking about it now we are back in Australia), we finally returned back up to Leeds to spend Christmas with my mum and sister, we even went to a pantomime in Leeds city center which was a lovely way to end an epic road trip.....a trip that i am sure will stay with Daniel and I for a very long time, we did just over 1800 miles, which is not bad when you consider that the total length of the UK is 870 miles.

I had to pinch myself at times that i was really home, and so was Daniel....i found it really hard to leave once again and I think that feeling told me all I needed to know, that after over 8 years away the UK is still home and will always be so....thank you for listening

I shall return ๐Ÿ™‚...one day.................... Happy new year to you all, where-ever in the world you may be

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 15

So glad that you had a fabulous time and to be able to share it with Daniel - awesome!!!! One day you'll be able to be where you want to be - with any luck!!! ย I know just what you mean about crying when you cross the coast - it's like putting on a comfy old pair of slippers.

• Like 3

How lovely, glad you had a great time and to be able to take your son, wow.ย I love stow on the wold, went there for a geography residential trip when I was at school. It is reallyย beautiful in the summer. ย As for flying over the coast into the uk, many describe that lovely feeling when you look out and see miles of patchwork quilt bits of greenย English countryside. ย 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

What a fantastic update! I'm so happy that you managed to take your son with you! It all sounds wonderful, and like you had a really amazing timeย The first time we took our girls back to the UK on holiday was magical too. They were gobsmacked by everything! We've since moved back (to Scotland), and they love it just as much as I do, even though they grew up in Aus.

• Like 2

I feel my time to leave Australia and return home is fast approaching and this was re-enforced for me as when I got back from our trip my wife had taken every picture and photograph of us down and put them in the attic ๐Ÿ˜ข.........probably didn't help that i took a couple of days to notice though ๐Ÿค”

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, bug family said:

I feel my time to leave Australia and return home is fast approaching and this was re-enforced for me as when I got back from our trip my wife had taken every picture and photograph of us down and put them in the attic ๐Ÿ˜ข.........probably didn't help that i took a couple of days to notice though ๐Ÿค”

Oh dear ย  ............. ย sounds like she is trying to tell you something. ย ๐Ÿ˜Ÿย ย Must make it very hard for you though?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bug family said:

Oh geez ๐Ÿ˜žย That's brutalย 

eta: Would she allow you to take your son with you if you were to move back to the UK, I see from another post you are in your 40s as am I, life certainly isn't over we are still young ish ๐Ÿ˜›ย I'm lucky in that my ex is allowing me to take our sons BUT he never really had a close bond with them anyway even after 13 years >.< but hey ho that's not a story for public eyes.ย 

Edited by Vickie78
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, bug family said:

Oh dear @bug family, a big hug to you.ย  ย It sounds like your wife has already decided the marriage is over and is looking for ways to push you out the door. What an awful situation to be in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bug family said:

Oh my gosh, I feel for both you and your wife. ย I am glad you had a fantastic time on your trip and that you could share it with your son.

From your wifeโ€™s point of view, she is the person who saved up to allow you the opportunity to go. She has beenย witness to your absolute pleasure and delight at having been back, and knowing that what ever she did,ย it would never match the joy that you experienced in those weeks. ย In a way, itโ€™s as if her husband has a mistress, except the mistress is a place not a person.

I imagine that she feels that life with her and your family in Oz can not compare (in your eyes) with the heady excitement of being โ€œhomeโ€

What ever you decide, I hope you can be kind to each other. Nobody is to blame, it simplyย is what it is.

• Like 2

Good to hear youย enjoyed your trip back to UK.

Have you got citizenship here? Much as you are very unhappy in Australia, well worth getting to cover yourself as However unlikely a return here might seem now,ย you never know what the future holds, andย one day in the future ifย ย your children are here, circumstances might change.

All the best.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Good to hear youย enjoyed your trip back to UK.

Have you got citizenship here? Much as you are very unhappy in Australia, well worth getting to cover yourself as However unlikely a return here might seem now,ย you never know what the future holds, andย one day in the future ifย ย your children are here, circumstances might change.

I agree. I've seen some people resist getting Aussie citizenship because they feel like it's surrendering or being unfaithful to the UK - but if you have children who have Australian citizenship, you need to get over that.ย 

Let's say you return to the UK to live once your kids are grown up.ย  Let's say one child decides to remain in Australia and has children.ย  One of the children isn't well and you want to head over and help them out.ย  If you don't have Australian citizenship. you're limited in how often you can visit in a year and how long you can stay.ย  ย if you've got citizenship, you can get on a plane whenever you like and stay as long as you're needed.ย  ย It's practicality.

• Like 2