That's not a pub mate - this is a real pub

bunbury61

Wonderful pictures which reminded me of The Pilgrim Inn in Marchwood, Hants. https://www.pilgriminnmarchwood.co.uk/

What makes a pub "special" though? Is it the pretty "things" (not the band!) or the people? My theory, which I've put into practice, is that if I go into a pub every night for a few weeks I'll become a "local."

I did it in Perth a few months ago, staying in South Perth and going to the Windsor Hotel every night. Come to think of it, I must ask Perthbum if he ever went there?

1 hour ago, Canada2Australia said:

Yeah,  those are so cool. Only in the UK! 

Google the Duke of Clarence and the Lord Dudley both in Sydney. The D of C has sourced almost everything from UK to make it as authentic as possible, serves good beer apparently, I don’t drink beer, good pub grub and a daily roast.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ramot said:

Google the Duke of Clarence and the Lord Dudley both in Sydney. The D of C has sourced almost everything from UK to make it as authentic as possible, serves good beer apparently, I don’t drink beer, good pub grub and a daily roast.

Yeah,  I've been to the Lord Dudley. There are a couple in Canada as well. They are nice, but none of them feel as authentic as any that you find in England. Nothing will ever compare to the real authentic pub.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Yeah,  I've been to the Lord Dudley. There are a couple in Canada as well. They are nice, but none of them feel as authentic as any that you find in England. Nothing will ever compare to the real authentic pub.

Of course they aren’t because surprise we aren’t in England!! but certainly better than nothing apart from the pseudo Irish ones, and they do have a pub atmosphere. Got to be miles better than your local tavern.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ramot said:

I've heard of the Duke of Clarence but never been there. Last Saturday afternoon I walked from Surry Hills to The Rocks, via George, Sussex and Kent Streets so I must have been close to it at some point.  I just Googled it and the pictures could be from any of the pubs above.  I looked into the Lord Nelson in The Rocks without getting a drink but I know their craft beers are renowned.

I used to go the Lord Dudley every Saturday night in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a ritual; watch The Bill which I think was 830-925? Then get the train from Central to Edgecliff, meet my mate Bill on New South Head Road, then we'd walk up the back streets to the "Duddo" for four schooners, never three nor five.

I'll try the Duke of Clarence one night. I guess my perspective is different. I'm not looking for authenticity. I like talking to English people when I meet them but I don't need to seek them out. I remember when I first started going to the Spurs pub here - the Surry Hills Hotel, formerly Triple Aces, and i assumed it would be all homesick Pommies but a good half of them are Australian born and bred.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2019 at 01:29, howie67 said:

Thanks for sharing the photos B61!

I was actually back there again the other day with another relative 😂

Just out of view is the village church and row of cottages 

Lovely spot .

No comfort in the pub though - it's mostly original - wooden seats and benches

20190815_121012_066.jpg