Taxation Help Tax Return

Tony-77

I've recently been contacted by the ATO for expense claims. I've realised I've made a mistake and over claimed on my tax return and can not find many of my receipts. Basically I've very little knowledge of the tax return system here. I'm I likely to receive any type of penalties or fines ?? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks guys!!!! 

Depends how they contacted you.If it was a telephone call then it is almost certainly a scam.

As MaryRose said don' t be scared to call the tax office ,if only to check that it isn't a scam.

Be honest with them, if it is a scam,tell them you want to correct a mistake.They are far more lenient if you are honest rather than they have to find out.

The more tax you pay,the better off you are.You earn $1million a year,the tax office takes $450K roughly.You earn $18200 a year no tax.You earn $100K the tax office takes $25K roughly.

Which position would you rather be in $550K in your pocket,$75K in your pocket,or telling yourself you must be better off if you pay less tax 

5 hours ago, Whey aye said:

Depends how they contacted you.If it was a telephone call then it is almost certainly a scam.

As MaryRose said don' t be scared to call the tax office ,if only to check that it isn't a scam.

Be honest with them, if it is a scam,tell them you want to correct a mistake.They are far more lenient if you are honest rather than they have to find out.

The more tax you pay,the better off you are.You earn $1million a year,the tax office takes $450K roughly.You earn $18200 a year no tax.You earn $100K the tax office takes $25K roughly.

Which position would you rather be in $550K in your pocket,$75K in your pocket,or telling yourself you must be better off if you pay less tax 

The ATO does contact client's by telephone.

I was contacted by email and I called them and was informed a tax agent was looking into the expenses as they where high for my industry. Looking back I had over claimed by mistake. They paid a rebate into my account. I have no issue paying back anything that's over paid. What I'm worried about  if there's any penalties I'll have to pay ie fines or if it'll affect my Visa in any way. I'm not sure the best way to handle it. 

Before you do anything else call the ato with a number you have sourced yourself, this will then atleast confirm its not a scam

I have just had a quick look at some of my own paperwork and 13 28 61 is a general phone enquiries number ( does that number look familiar ? )

If they answer and know what your on about then it's legit.

Sorry if it sounds like stating the obvious but you can't be to careful.

I would think it is a scam.

You have nothing to worry about.The tax office is not there to screw you and treat you harshly. They are there to make sure you pay the correct amount of tax.

Call them tomorrow and ask if they have taken this action against you.They will answer yes or no.

After that it is up to you,you can be honest with them,or you can hope the error is not picked up.