Tax File Number?

Deano

Hi everyone,

I've had my 482 Medium term visa approved yesterday, so sorting out medical cover but got a question on the Tax File Number I need to get:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Apply-for-a-TFN/Foreign-passport-holders,-permanent-migrants-and-temporary-visitors---TFN-application/

Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application

You can apply for a tax file number online if you meet these three conditions:

1. You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.
  2. You are already in Australia.
  3. Your visa is one of the following:  
    • a permanent migrant visa
    • a visa with work rights
    • an overseas student visa
    • a visa allowing you to stay in Australian indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).

Referencing the link and the quote above, am I right to think I can only request a TRN when i am in Australia?

I intend to fly out late August to start my job 2nd September, is this going to cause tax mayhem with my first pay packet? I'm assuming that like in the UK I would get put on an emergency tax code and then refunded later in the year when I have a TRN?

I'm assuming there is know other way for me to obtain one while in the UK?

On 23/07/2019 at 08:38, Deano said:

Hi everyone,

I've had my 482 Medium term visa approved yesterday, so sorting out medical cover but got a question on the Tax File Number I need to get:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Apply-for-a-TFN/Foreign-passport-holders,-permanent-migrants-and-temporary-visitors---TFN-application/

Referencing the link and the quote above, am I right to think I can only request a TRN when i am in Australia?

I intend to fly out late August to start my job 2nd September, is this going to cause tax mayhem with my first pay packet? I'm assuming that like in the UK I would get put on an emergency tax code and then refunded later in the year when I have a TRN?

I'm assuming there is know other way for me to obtain one while in the UK?

They don't have tax codes in Australia. Effectively everyone is on emergency tax code (taxed on each pay packet without reference to how much they've earned in the year to date) and get refunded after the end of the tax year.

You can still claim the tax free threshold despite not having a tax file number as there is a box to tick on the TFN declaration form (which you give when starting a new job) to say you've applied for a TFN.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

They don't have tax codes in Australia. Effectively everyone is on emergency tax code (taxed on each pay packet without reference to how much they've earned in the year to date) and get refunded after the end of the tax year.

You can still claim the tax free threshold despite not having a tax file number as there is a box to tick on the TFN declaration form (which you give when starting a new job) to say you've applied for a TFN.

They should be aware though that not everyone gets a refund at the end of the year. many people get a bill instead. 

• Like 1