6 reasons that you came to live in Australia

starlight7

3 minutes ago, Bulya said:

I guess if I was stuck in Blighty, I’d be pissed every night...

says a lot for your country pal...my wife and i are both brits or 'poms' as you like to call us...she was tea total when she came here now drinks like a fish...maybe look at your own culture (or lack of it) before having a go at someone else's 😉

• Like 4

Just now, bug family said:

says a lot for your country pal...my wife and i are both brits or 'poms' as you like to call us...she was tea total when she came here now drinks like a fish...maybe look at your own culture (or lack of it) before having a go at someone else's 😉

I’m a Pom.  I guess you missed that part?

16 hours ago, Bulya said:

I guess if I was stuck in Blighty, I’d be pissed every night...

Got back a couple of weeks ago. We had good weathet while we were there so spent a couple of afternoons and evenings sat in a nice pub beer garden. Surprising how you can slip straight back into it. 

All the breweries springing up here in the last 10 years or so make it doable here now too. 

On 20/07/2019 at 23:44, newjez said:

To be honest I don't ever remember going for early morning breakfast in Australia. Is it a thing?

We often go for breakfast at our local beef eater as it very cheap. There are a few other places we go that are a bit more upmarket. But we wouldn't go before 08:00.

Are there many people there at 06:30? Is this weekend or week day?

Didn't you live near a decent beach in Aus Newjez? If not mate you should have tried it. It's like a different world.

3 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Got back a couple of weeks ago. We had good weathet while we were there so spent a couple of afternoons and evenings sat in a nice pub beer garden. Surprising how you can slip straight back into it. 

All the breweries springing up here in the last 10 years or so make it doable here now too. 

True but I no longer drink, so I don’t get to try all the boutique beers available here now. 

Not there yet but a few of my reasons are:

1. A better life for my children. I don't want them to have to pay for this Brexit mess for the rest of their lives. I can't see a life in the UK for us anymore.

2. My husband is wanted in Australia for his skills.

3. I should have been born there. My parents had their visas and flights booked in the 70's to go live in Townsville. At the 11th hour my Mum decided she couldn't go and leave her Mum in the UK. My father regretted it his whole life and was so happy when he heard we wanted to emigrate, he died last year and left us some money to take a trip to Oz.

4. Gardening. Ok this is a bit daft but I like to garden and would like to try growing new and exotic plants and food. 

5. Electric car. I would love to have and electric car that is charged by my own solar panels, giving me effectively a free ride. I know it's silly.

1. Family time. My husband will be out of the military and we will see him more. No months away on deployment unless he signs up for the ADF!

2. Adventure! It will be a big change, a shock to the system and will take lots of getting used to. But wow what an adventure and a chance to learn.

3. Stars. I have never seen a pollution free night sky. Driving into the sticks and pitching up is on my bucket list, if I can do it a few times a year fantastic.

4. Happiness, I've heard people are more cheerful in Oz. I work with pre-school children and love their smiling happy faces, if more people could be like that the world would be a wonderful place.

5. Weather, of course. I would love for my winter born kid to have a party outside.

6. Travel opportunities, I've been all over Europe. I have only been to a handful of places in Asia and none in Oceana. It's time to explore more of that side of the world.

7. Love, Corny I know, but Australia is my husbands dream and therefore mine, I would follow him literally to the end of the earth!

Now I wait for my reasonings to be blown apart!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, CazzDownUnder said:

1. A better life for my children. I don't want them to have to pay for this Brexit mess for the rest of their lives. I can't see a life in the UK for us anymore.

3. I should have been born there. My parents had their visas and flights booked in the 70's to go live in Townsville. At the 11th hour my Mum decided she couldn't go and leave her Mum in the UK. My father regretted it his whole life and was so happy when he heard we wanted to emigrate, he died last year and left us some money to take a trip to Oz.

4. Gardening. Ok this is a bit daft but I like to garden and would like to try growing new and exotic plants and food. 

5. Electric car. I would love to have and electric car that is charged by my own solar panels, giving me effectively a free ride. I know it's silly.

1. Family time. My husband will be out of the military and we will see him more. No months away on deployment unless he signs up for the ADF!

2. Adventure! It will be a big change, a shock to the system and will take lots of getting used to. But wow what an adventure and a chance to learn.

3. Stars. I have never seen a pollution free night sky. Driving into the sticks and pitching up is on my bucket list, if I can do it a few times a year fantastic.

4. Happiness, I've heard people are more cheerful in Oz. I work with pre-school children and love their smiling happy faces, if more people could be like that the world would be a wonderful place.

5. Weather, of course. I would love for my winter born kid to have a party outside.

6. Travel opportunities, I've been all over Europe. I have only been to a handful of places in Asia and none in Oceana. It's time to explore more of that side of the world.

7. Love, Corny I know, but Australia is my husbands dream and therefore mine, I would follow him literally to the end of the earth!

Your reasons are your reasons!

I could disagree with a few of them but where would that get us?

I would say though your number 8 will be amazing! The sky is so huge down there and you can see so much of it without the light pollution. You can see the milky way, it’s phenomenal. 

If you can get half of your above reasons ‘met’ you will probably be very happy. Good luck on your journey. 🤗

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CazzDownUnder said:

7 and 12 should see you right. Many of the others I would disagree with but if you're going for adventure then that would be enough and it'll either work, in which case you win, or it won't, in which case with your adventurous attitude you will move on. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CazzDownUnder said:

Intelligent post, a rarity here.  All good, valid reasons for moving to God’s country, and I hope you enjoy it 

8 hours ago, Quoll said:

7 and 12 should see you right. Many of the others I would disagree with but if you're going for adventure then that would be enough and it'll either work, in which case you win, or it won't, in which case with your adventurous attitude you will move on. 

I'm with Quoll.

Thirty years ago when I came to Australia, I'd have agreed with #1 as well - however Australia has changed dramatically since then (let's face it, everywhere has changed in that time).  Nowadays Australia is not a better place than the UK in any way, shape or form.  It's not worse, either.  It's different.  Just like France and Spain and Germany are different.  The difference may suit  you and your family, or it may not.  You won't know till you try.  But as long as you're coming for the adventure and you can afford the cost, it's worth a try.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, CazzDownUnder said:

Life is what you make it @CazzDownUnder Some people will never settle here and wish they were back in their home country and others lead a very happy life in Australia.  It's just another country and it's a long way from the UK but as Marisa stated above, you won't know until you give it a try.   I've been happy here for nearly 38 years.  😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Life is what you make it @CazzDownUnder Some people will never settle here and wish they were back in their home country and others lead a very happy life in Australia.  It's just another country and it's a long way from the UK but as Marisa stated above, you won't know until you give it a try.   I've been happy here for nearly 38 years.  😀

You’ve travelled a bit, and spent time living in various countries from memory.  That makes a big difference imho. 

• Like 1

The first time I came to Australia was in 1990. My husband was supposed to meet my daughter and me when we landed in Cairns. He was on the barrier reef as he got the time wrong!!!

So transport was arranged to take us to the hotel.

A stretch white limousine turned up, with sheepskin seats and we were whisked to the hotel for free. This was our introduction to Australia.

Fast forward 13 years to 2003 and when my husband retired we came on the old 410 visa to live here for a few years for a bit of an adventure.

1.       we came because we could,

2         stayed because we love it here,

3.        the bonus of 2 of our children following us here and settling, so more family here than UK

• Like 3

Six reasons for not  moving to Australia We   immigrated because of Thatcher Closing Down the Industrious North.And put  a estimated 1 million + Brits out of Work.To favour her beloved EU. Glad to see the Brits are getting their country back hopefully. Never Trust a Tory ! Ask any veteran 

As a Immigrant and a Pom ,you will get berated, put down. .The kids will suffer at school, and maybe you at work. You need to have a thick skin.You'll never be a Aussie. Some think they are when they get their citizenship ,some  poms even  say they even feel different . They must be deluded.

Some have a better standard of living .Depending on what you do and who you are. Most workers   today Find it hard to make ends meet. 

More space ?It doesn't matter a great deal as long as you have good Neighbours.We have Lived on acreage for most of our 46 years .here.And you can have Neighbours from hell  the same in the Suburbs. Aussies  thrive on noise,  bad language and bad manners.. And don't care who hears them.Neighborhood disputes have the Courts clogged up

Adventure depends again what the individual does .I went hunting all the time in the UK .Same as  in Australia .Most live a mundane lifestyle  in Australia and have never seen the outback.Or even the Barrier Reef. 

Never Buy a new Build House or apartment . Cowboy Builders ,Shonky workmanship rule in Australia. It's rip off city. And your not even covered . Just  try getting anything done  in the Building industry it takes Years. Try to sue a Car dealerShip. Or a  work contract you may  find yourself in .

Then there's the  the legal rip offs.Everyone has to bear.With out of control Councils. Some end up getting sacked and some actually go to jail. 

Then there is Captain Cook . It it  hadn't been for him we wouldn't be here. And we wouldn't have wasted our lives and our 4 kids lives. My Wife and I  say .There is no place like home ,with all your family and life long friends. Giving up your roots And missing all the weddings ,family get togethers.Even  funerals.  Is the worst thing ever .WE think. Even at  81 we  regret leaving  home. And we have tried to blend in. .And before you know what's happened . Your life has gone. And you only get one chance. We have made a Goode Lfe and have a decent nest egg. But it doesn't replace what we gave up.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Zack said:

Six reasons for not  moving to Australia We   immigrated because of Thatcher Closing Down the Industrious North.And put  a estimated 1 million + Brits out of Work.To favour her beloved EU. Glad to see the Brits are getting their country back hopefully. Never Trust a Tory ! Ask any veteran 

As a Immigrant and a Pom ,you will get berated, put down. .The kids will suffer at school, and maybe you at work. You need to have a thick skin.You'll never be a Aussie. Some think they are when they get their citizenship ,some  poms even  say they even feel different . They must be deluded.

Some have a better standard of living .Depending on what you do and who you are. Most workers   today Find it hard to make ends meet. 

More space ?It doesn't matter a great deal as long as you have good Neighbours.We have Lived on acreage for most of our 46 years .here.And you can have Neighbours from hell  the same in the Suburbs. Aussies  thrive on noise,  bad language and bad manners.. And don't care who hears them.Neighborhood disputes have the Courts clogged up

Adventure depends again what the individual does .I went hunting all the time in the UK .Same as  in Australia .Most live a mundane lifestyle  in Australia and have never seen the outback.Or even the Barrier Reef. 

Never Buy a new Build House or apartment . Cowboy Builders ,Shonky workmanship rule in Australia. It's rip off city. And your not even covered . Just  try getting anything done  in the Building industry it takes Years. Try to sue a Car dealerShip. Or a  work contract you may  find yourself in .

Then there's the  the legal rip offs.Everyone has to bear.With out of control Councils. Some end up getting sacked and some actually go to jail. 

Then there is Captain Cook . It it  hadn't been for him we wouldn't be here. And we wouldn't have wasted our lives and our 4 kids lives. My Wife and I  say .There is no place like home ,with all your family and life long friends. Giving up your roots And missing all the weddings ,family get togethers.Even  funerals.  Is the worst thing ever .WE think. Even at  81 we  regret leaving  home. And we have tried to blend in. .And before you know what's happened . Your life has gone. And you only get one chance. We have made a Goode Lfe and have a decent nest egg. But it doesn't replace what we gave up.

We  probably came to Australia round about the time you did @Zack.  My sons had a very good education and have good jobs after completing uni.  It sounds as though you have awful neighbours and I sympathise with you there.  Luckily my husband is in the building trade so we are lucky that he has fixed up any house we've lived in and I agree with you that the quality of houses here isn't the best.  I blame councils for that.  They aren't strict enough. 

Obviously Australia has never suited you and I think it's sad you have spent so many years regretting your move from the UK.  That is such a shame.  I have good friends who have moved from NSW to Tasmania (where I live) and they love it.  Another very good friend is moving here with her husband as soon as they sell their house - also in NSW.  I have known them for over 20 years so it will be good to have them much nearer though I've not had any trouble making friends since we moved to the NW coast of Tassie.  I suppose my husband and I have been lucky to feel settled and happy here.  Wish you felt the same. 🙂

• Like 2