Secondary School Teacher Points Limit

Hello everyone,

I saw that Secondary School Teachers are on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List. I am definately planning to apply, but I would reach 65 points maximum. I looked everywhere, but didn´t find where the point limit is published. I have doubts that 65 points are enough to secure me an invitation to apply. Is there a list with the recent point limits online somewhere ?

Or can you tell me from experience what was needed in recent years to secure an invitation ?

Greetings from Germany

• Like 1

You are correct.  65 points is the absolute minimum you need to be eligible, but in practice it's not nearly enough.  People talk about "a queue", but it's not really a queue, it's a competition, and the people with the most points win.  You need to find a way to increase your point score or it's not worth even applying.

Hi @GermanTeacher

I'm also a Secondary Teacher (from Scotland) and have 65 points. I'm planning on also applying for 190 (NSW) for the additional 5 points but think it will still be a struggle to get an invite. I'm hoping the changes in November will make a difference as I am applying as a single applicant so should get an additional 10 points - this may also apply for you?

Hi @scott_glasgow 

I am in exactly  the same boat as you by the looks. Just done PGCE, 26 years old, and I am waiting on the points change in november. I think you get an extra 10 points if you're single or have a partner? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/07/2019 at 11:25, Marisawright said:

You are correct.  65 points is the absolute minimum you need to be eligible, but in practice it's not nearly enough.  People talk about "a queue", but it's not really a queue, it's a competition, and the people with the most points win.  You need to find a way to increase your point score or it's not worth even applying.

Hey and thanks for your message !

With how many points do you think it is worth applying ? Do you think an applicant with 75 points has a good chance ?

Thank you

For the last few invitation rounds a minimum score of 80 was required to receive an invite for a subclass 189 visa. This may decrease in future rounds but is unlikely to come down to 65 points anytime soon.

You should consider and research State Sponsorship through either the subclass 190 or 489.

Also be mindful that the points system will be restructured in November, which will affect things going forward.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Secondary School Teacher - 70 points and 75 with state (NSW) that I can't even apply for now until l claim 1 year experience (June 2020).

According to AITSL, if the work experience is undertaken for at least four consecutive weeks and at least 20 hours per week. What does this mean exactly if I work full time for a year (60 hours a week). 

Appreciate anyone's help

12 hours ago, ghsa said:

Secondary School Teacher - 70 points and 75 with state (NSW) that I can't even apply for now until l claim 1 year experience (June 2020).

According to AITSL, if the work experience is undertaken for at least four consecutive weeks and at least 20 hours per week. What does this mean exactly if I work full time for a year (60 hours a week). 

Appreciate anyone's help

It would still be considered as 1 year.

• Like 1

As you may be aware, taking an English Language Proficiency Test can improve points, even if you're from an English speaking country.  GermanTeacher, you may also want to investigate the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) test, which could give you extra points.  A friend of ours also had to go down the State Sponsored route to get the required number of points.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

Funny reading this months down the line - 190 now requires a year worked in NSW so for teachers who are off shore it’s 491 only with 5 years experience. Funny how things change so much in next to no time at all! 

You might like to read up on Peter Dutton, aka Mr Potato Head.  He's the current Minister for Immigration, who might more appropriately be called the Minister anti Immigration. 

37 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

Indeed. It does appear that Australia are more actively trying to stop immigration rather than promote it. 

Indeed.  That has been the case for a long time, actually.  I think there's a lingering perception, especially in the UK, that Australia is crying out for new migrants. It's part of British folklore - so many British families have aunts or great-uncles or cousins who went out to Australia and made good. 

The reality is that Australia is now a developed country like any other, able to supply its own workforce, and just needing to cherry-pick professionals from other countries when it has a shortage.  So it should be no surprise that its immigration policies are falling into line with other developed countries like the UK or the US.