You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Red Rose

Australian winters feel worse than UK winters

I can’t be the only one who thinks this, can I?

This Sydney winter has been brutal for me. The houses here are freezing at night (or mine is anyway). I have to sleep with an electric blanket to stay warm. 

I’ve been a sick on and off for the last two months with a cold / cough that I can’t shake. 

Winters in the UK probably feel like they last longer but I don’t remember feeling this cold as I do here. 

The cold just gets into my bones here more than the UK. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Agreed.

You are correct regarding the houses.  No insulation, double glazing or central heating is to blame.

Also the aircon units,  all they seem to do is heat up the air - not the fabric of the building.  As soon as they are turned off the heat is gone.

That's why Aussies invented Uggs😉

• Like 6

Totally agree, it definitely feels colder over here, thank god its only for a month or two then the temps pick up again. Thankfully after the first few years the colds and snots died off, now (touch wood) i seem to do ok and just have a flu jab every year. My first real winter here i was so sick i couldn't get out of bed and i have never had anything like that before, the DR said it was because the colds etc are all different strains to what i grew up with ...

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Winters are glorious in the tropics: 25 degrees nearly every day, 15 at night, very little rain and no humidity.  Summer sucks big time though, but winters are near perfect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red Rose said:

I can’t be the only one who thinks this, can I?

This Sydney winter has been brutal for me. The houses here are freezing at night (or mine is anyway). I have to sleep with an electric blanket to stay warm. 

I’ve been a sick on and off for the last two months with a cold / cough that I can’t shake. 

Winters in the UK probably feel like they last longer but I don’t remember feeling this cold as I do here. 

The cold just gets into my bones here more than the UK. 

For those who have lived in oz for a while , and at the risk of repeating myself .

The u.k winters are nothing like they used to be .

The winters do last longer - but that bone chilling  Oct- mar has in the main , gone .

I can remember doing penny for the guy and bonfire night being bloody freezing 

Iced up windows and a foot of snow on the ground on xmas day  , it was about 12c last year 

In solihull , no daytime temps below zero for the last 7 years .

I have the full on winter clobber that I haven't worn for at least 5 years .

We will see what this year brings .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

It’s definitely going to depend where in each country you are but I’ve just had my first UK winter and was worried I’d gone soft but it came and went in a blink tbh and I’m in the north west of England. Winters in the Dandenongs felt much worse. The temperature outside of my house were frequently warmer than inside.( It was a particularly shonky build!)  My joints hurt there but not here, or this last winter anyway, I have been pleasantly surprised. 

Duffle up @Red Rose

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

It’s definitely going to depend where in each country you are but I’ve just had my first UK winter and was worried I’d gone soft but it came and went in a blink tbh and I’m in the north west of England. Winters in the Dandenongs felt much worse. The temperature outside of my house were frequently warmer than inside.( It was a particularly shonky build!)  My joints hurt there but not here, or this last winter anyway, I have been pleasantly surprised. 

Duffle up @Red Rose

Yes Amber! It literally feels like I need to open the windows here in winter to let warmer air in from outside, completely crazy!!!!!

• Haha 2

It has been very cold here on the north west coast of Tassie recently and the wind off the mountains has been positively icy.    Brrrr!  Thankfully our house is built for the cold and is cosy during weather like this.   We are also very close to the Bass Strait so get the howling winds off it too.   The last couple of nights we have had gale force winds - trees down and a bit of flooding.

I agree that a heck of a lot of houses are simply not built for the cold.  Ridiculous that more isn't done about it.  Very poor building regulations.  

Have to add after reading about folk getting sick as stated above   .................  I rarely get a cold and I've never had flu in my life  ......................  touch wood.

Not in Sydney - similar to a British summer evening at best, spring morning/evening at worst

• Like 2

Our home has been built to keep cooler in summer....and it works.  The downside is that it gets cold in the house at night.  Most mornings get up and put the ducted heating on for 30 minutes to an hour which takes the chill off.  By 8am the sun is streaming in and keeping the house comfortable enough.  It is still warmer outside than in though.  Today was 23C out but only about 20C in the house.  I go out in a tee shirt and stick a sleeveless fleece on when I get in.  Still haven’t got used to that.

Many locals keep their homes ridiculously cool in summer with aircon so they think nothing of indoor temps of less than 20C.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

In answer to the OP.  It depends where you live in Australia.  Forget about the crap houses for a minute.  The actual outside weather on the whole where I live does have better weather than the UK.  The average temperature during the summer is 23 and during the winter it manages to reach double digits every day.  Today it reached 11 and we have been having very stormy weather.  The summers are warm and dry but here on the NW Tassie coast the winters are wet and blustery.  Not too far from us snow falls and other places can be hot in the summer.

Have you heard of the Feels like temperature ?

See it is not really cold it just feels like it is.

I want it all, and I want it now.

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

Have you heard of the Feels like temperature ?

See it is not really cold it just feels like it is.

That takes account of relative humidity and wind chill.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

41 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

That takes account of relative humidity and wind chill.

Yes. Well googled.

I want it all, and I want it now.

6 hours ago, unzippy said:

Agreed.

You are correct regarding the houses.  No insulation, double glazing or central heating is to blame.

Also the aircon units,  all they seem to do is heat up the air - not the fabric of the building.  As soon as they are turned off the heat is gone.

That’s because the houses are built from light weight materials with no thermal capacity and no insulation, it’s the equivalent of living in a tent, also the houses are huge so require a lot of heat input to raise the temperature by just 1 degree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Strongly disagree.....
We are that used to being warm 9 months per year, then the cool weather just annoys us....... Still work and sit outside in a t shirt.....

• Like 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tonyman said:

Strongly disagree.....
We are that used to being warm 9 months per year, then the cool weather just annoys us....... Still work and sit outside in a t shirt.....

That's my experience too.  We acclimatise.  The first two or three years I lived in Sydney, I didn't even bother to buy a heater during winter.   Then the next winter, I felt the cold and bought the heater.  I was still living in the same place, too.

I think there's also the fact that memory fades, and memories of unpleasant things fade even faster.   I sometimes think "I'm freezing" here in Melbourne, but then I think - I used to wake up in Scotland to frost on in the INSIDE of my bedroom window.  I remember frozen pipes, too.  Those things do not happen in Melbourne, even in the depths of winter.  So whatever I might subjectively think, it can't possibly be as cold here as it was there.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I never find the Melbourne winters cold tbh, more like an English autumn really, although I agree with the posters who point out how building design here probably leaves a lot of people feeling cold. Are builders here somehow in denial about how the locals view winter? I hear so many complaints from them about how cold their homes are. I know there’s an onus on keeping people cool in summer, but that’s only 4-5 months of the year max, the rest of the time it’s actually pretty temperate. 

The flip side for me is that the summers here just fecking kill me! Whilst everyone else looks like they’ve just stepped out of a Tommy Hilfiger advert for beach wear, I’m looking like a waxwork that’s been left too close to the fire! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tonyman said:

Strongly disagree.....

Wear a coat in the morning then carry it home in the afternoon. You do get the odd chilly day, but you can get some quite nice winter days. Does rain hard when it rains though.

28 minutes ago, newjez said:

Wear a coat in the morning then carry it home in the afternoon. You do get the odd chilly day, but you can get some quite nice winter days. Does rain hard when it rains though.

Warm rain though.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

That’s because the houses are built from light weight materials with no thermal capacity and no insulation, it’s the equivalent of living in a tent, also the houses are huge so require a lot of heat input to raise the temperature by just 1 degree.

Old house may have been built as you say but things have improved greatly in last 10 years with insulation and better windows and doors as regulations improve. 

I find winter here like summer in uk , (although it gets down to -2 coldest so far) at night , our new house is warm as toast , up graded insulation in walls and roof , hebel panels on out side 

Haven’t warn a coat in 10 years I have been out here 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, unzippy said:

Agreed.

Every house here has insulation, it’s mandated in the building code.  Double and triple glazing is available.  It’s regularly advertised on the radio 

Edited by Bulya
Addition

15 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I used to stay with friends on their property near Bathurst NSW.  They got ice and snow during the winter and on occasion were snowed in.  Their house was weatherboard but it was so well insulated and heated that it was a pleasure to stay in during the severe weather.  I made sure that when we bought a house in Tassie it wasn't open plan and that it would cope well with the winters here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, simmo said:

Warm rain though.

Maybe in Qld but not further south during winter.

• Like 1