Renting

lindadoidge

On 12/07/2019 at 07:06, lindadoidge said:

Hi. Myself and hubby are waiting on a 143 visa but in the meantime want to come in on a years visitor visa. Question is, can we rent a house for a year.?? Then we might have to leave for 6 months then can come back. 

Have to say i dont know for certain but i rented on a WHV with a 6 month tenancy.

i guess you arent, on the face of it, an ideal tenant if you have no rental history but if you dont make it obvious you only have a visitor visa and you arent in a super competitive rental market id say it would be possible

Where are you looking to stay?

The difficulty for you would probably be being able to return to the same house if you were leaving for 6 months.  Unless you continued to pay rent on it - but the landlord may not wish to rent it and it be empty.

I dont think you would have much of an issue renting for 12 mths, all migrants arrive with no history so we were all in the same boat,as Ali says the issue would be with the time you were out of the country unless you continued paying rent.

When you do look at properties to rent have all your paperwork/ evidence ready to submitt. (passports, driving licence, paid up uk utility bills etc )

Cal x

I agree with Cal, it isn't likely to be an issue because real estate agents don't check visas. 

You'd be wise to tell a white lie and say you're moving over to be with your kids, though.  Agents will always prefer tenants who are likely to stay long-term, so if you reveal that you'll definitely leave in a year's time, he'll choose someone else.

If you're not able to provide proof of income, then you might be asked to pay 6 months rent upfront.   

On 20/07/2019 at 07:52, Marisawright said:

I agree with Cal, it isn't likely to be an issue because real estate agents don't check visas. 

You'd be wise to tell a white lie and say you're moving over to be with your kids, though.  Agents will always prefer tenants who are likely to stay long-term, so if you reveal that you'll definitely leave in a year's time, he'll choose someone else.

If you're not able to provide proof of income, then you might be asked to pay 6 months rent upfront.   

We had to supply a copy of our visa for both rentals we've been in.

8 hours ago, welljock said:

We had to supply a copy of our visa for both rentals we've been in.

Lkewise, always had to show passport or visa - the agent wants to know that they aren't taking out a 12 month lease with a tourist who can only stay 3 moths and not work to cover the rent.