Transferring UK license to WA license

Cal Stewart

So I’m moving to Perth in January 2020. Hoping to stay around 2 years. I have dual citizenship, so I own a British and NZ passport. So I don’t need to apply for working visa’s etc. I’m looking at doing a heavy rigid truck driving course as soon as I get out there, but I’ve been informed by the lady at the test centre that I will need to transfer my Uk license to a WA license. Do you know how I go about this? Is it a quick and simple process? Or do I have to wait a while before I can apply for it? Wasn’t sure as I’m NZ citizen. 

Cheers ! 

Callum

Turn up to the licencing centre - it's a pretty simple process from what I remember (had to read some letters like an eye test and have photo-taken).  It did take about a week (12 years ago) for the licence to come through - if you explain that you're doing a course, they may be able to give you a confirmation letter.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/transferring-your-overseas-licence.asp

This link should be helpful when it comes to transferring your overseas licence to a WA licence. If you hold a permanent visa you can drive on your overseas licence for up to 3 months, and then you would need to have it transferred to a WA licence. I am not sure if this is the same in your scenario, being a dual UK/NZ citizen with a UK licence. 

If you wanted to be certain you could contact the Department of Transport for WA directly, (there is an option for online enquiry on their website under Licencing -> About Us & Contacts) but I presume it should be simple enough to transfer it over.

2 hours ago, ali said:

Turn up to the licencing centre - it's a pretty simple process from what I remember (had to read some letters like an eye test and have photo-taken).  It did take about a week (12 years ago) for the licence to come through - if you explain that you're doing a course, they may be able to give you a confirmation letter.

Agree with Ali 100% but will add a caveat, at the time I applied to transfer my licence I was taking warfarin following a DVT in pregnancy 2 years previously. Every rational person knows this has no impact on your ability to drive a car, however, the licensing centre would not allow me an Australian driving licence until I had a full medical that determined I was fit and able to drive a car!  It was a frustrating situation and my GP was simply ‘gobsmacked’ but nevertheless I was only granted a 1 year licence and had to renew it annually (at a pretty nice cost) until I finally stopped taking warfarin, which is another story as I should never have been taking it for the length of time I was, hey ho!!

Edited by Phoenix16
Typo