Do I stay or do I go?

johno_sam

Hello all,

I have been away from the UK a little over three years now, having travelled and lived in both NZ and Australia (currently in Sydney).

I have visited the UK three times in three years and every time I leave to come back out I find it so so hard!

I haven't really felt homesick since leaving the UK, but since my last visit home a few months ago I have yearning for London, my friends and family but I am so nervous to make the decision to go back and feel so stuck... 

any advise?

40 minutes ago, johno_sam said:

Hello all,

I have been away from the UK a little over three years now, having travelled and lived in both NZ and Australia (currently in Sydney).

I have visited the UK three times in three years and every time I leave to come back out I find it so so hard!

I haven't really felt homesick since leaving the UK, but since my last visit home a few months ago I have yearning for London, my friends and family but I am so nervous to make the decision to go back and feel so stuck... 

any advise?

Stick it out here until you get your citizenship then go back.  You then have the choice of where to live in the future.

Good luck  😀

You don't say how old you are, or what visa you're on. 

If you're still young, with no kids, then why do you need to make a decision?   Enjoy your travels and when you've had enough and want to settle down, that's when you need to make your mind up.

In the meantime, don't do anything permanent, like buy a house - unless you buy it as an investment property.  As soon as you buy a home you risk being trapped, if house prices change and you can't sell it for what you bought it for.  

Yup what the others have said, enjoy what you've got but don't allow yourself to be shackled until you're 110% sure that you'll never want to move on - homes, relationships, kids etc. Get your citizenship if that's a possibility with your current visa status then you keep all your options open. I've always tended to go where the best opportunity was at the time and life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.  If you do decide to move on, think of it as moving on, not moving back - another new beginning if you like.

6 hours ago, johno_sam said:

Hello all,

any advise?

Toots is right , get your citizenship , then the worlds your lobster , rodney .

Depends what you do for a job ?

Can you get a job in London,  in your field ?

Most importantly where are you going to be living in london ?

I have done the move back to the u.k for family trick - it's never a win/ win .

If your parents are old ( Iam not saying yours are ), someone has to be there - it's an eye opener .

I bloody love visiting london , because it is the greatest city on the planet - the real madrid of cities - but I couldn't live there .

If you have great family and friends , and you are living in a decent suburb , fantastic .

But ,ultimately it's about you and your choices .