Transit through Singapore with controlled drugs

Chortlepuss

Hi - Has anyone experience of transiting Singapore Airport with controlled drugs? We are heading back to UK from Australia for a holiday and will be stopping at Singapore - my son is on some pretty heavy medication due to bipolar/ADHD - some of which is not allowed into Singapore without permission. We are not leaving the airport and will get Dr's letter and ensure all medication is labelled - anything else we should be wary of? 

Many thanks for any advice 

22 minutes ago, Chortlepuss said:

Hi - Has anyone experience of transiting Singapore Airport with controlled drugs? We are heading back to UK from Australia for a holiday and will be stopping at Singapore - my son is on some pretty heavy medication due to bipolar/ADHD - some of which is not allowed into Singapore without permission. We are not leaving the airport and will get Dr's letter and ensure all medication is labelled - anything else we should be wary of? 

I can’t say for sure, but all you can do is as you have done is have a letter from your Dr. I’ve travelled quite a lot through Singapore and stayed there, luckily never had a problem with meds, the last time I stayed in Singapore was 2 years ago on  a Probus trip with many of us on plenty of meds!!! No one had a problem. It’s unlikely to be a problem in transit, so hope your trip goes well.

I know it’s obvious but keep all your meds with you in your hand luggage.

1 hour ago, Chortlepuss said:

Hi there, Not Singapore but I traveled to Mauritius in May carrying Tramadol and Endone (which is prohibited there) and had to get permission from the Mauritian Health Minister to bring them into the country prior to travel. I was given written authority and then had to declare it in the red channel upon landing, then they let me in with it. I also had to carry a Dr's letter and a copy of the original prescription too.

Appreciate its a different country but I would check with the Singapore health authority on what the process is especially if it is prohibited there. Good luck 🙂 

Edited by DeeTowers
Typo

If you are just transiting you would remain airside so you won’t actually enter Singapore, so the doctors letter, prescription and having the meds in marked original containers should be ok. If you travel just enough as you need in your hand luggage and check the rest in your main luggage that might help as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

If you are just transiting you would remain airside so you won’t actually enter Singapore, so the doctors letter, prescription and having the meds in marked original containers should be ok. If you travel just enough as you need in your hand luggage and check the rest in your main luggage that might help as well.

Sorry Amber I disagree, flights can get delayed and or cancelled en route, and so much hold luggage goes missing, that it’s not worth the risk of being without your medication in your hand luggage. 

5 hours ago, ramot said:

Sorry Amber I disagree, flights can get delayed and or cancelled en route, and so much hold luggage goes missing, that it’s not worth the risk of being without your medication in your hand luggage. 

Indeed, but I thought it was standard advice to only carry what you need. The alternative to lost luggage is the meds being confiscated at security. Pros and cons, have to decide which risk you want to take I suppose.

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Indeed, but I thought it was standard advice to only carry what you need. The alternative to lost luggage is the meds being confiscated at security. Pros and cons, have to decide which risk you want to take I suppose.

The reason I wrote is that my advice was because both my husband and I worked for airlines, and I have seen the panic when a suitcase goes adrift with essential medicine. Delays happen perhaps more than people realise. Also our son worked at Heathrow and Gatwick and was involved in the lost baggage department, it’s an eye opener when you realise just how much lost luggage there is. 

A  tip if you have a black suitcase is don’t use a red ribbon, it makes identifying it very difficult, it’s the most popular colour. Also put your name and a contact note inside your suitcase. 

Chortlepuss I wish you a trouble free flight and a wonderful holiday, xM

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ramot said:

Thanks everyone 

yes - think we will travel with it all in hand luggage - hopefully won’t be too much questioning as he gets stressed easily. Don’t fancy having to replace his meds in UK if luggage lost!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chortlepuss said:

Thanks everyone 

yes - think we will travel with it all in hand luggage - hopefully won’t be too much questioning as he gets stressed easily. Don’t fancy having to replace his meds in UK if luggage lost!

Another quickie, unless things have changed, Singapore doesn’t allow any water/liquid when going through security to the departure lounge even when you have only been airside, so if you want water with you, have an empty bottle and fill it up from the water fountain in the departure lounge before you board. 

Any duty free is delivered to the departure gate for collection 

Edited by ramot