Last minute nerves and stress

Ncsmith

Hi all

Just wondering how others felt in their final couple of weeks before leaving? 

I am relocating with wlork, which has been a very rushed and stressful process. Stress levels are constantly high and sometimes overwhelming! 

Anybody else felt like this in their final weeks? 🙂

28 minutes ago, Ncsmith said:

Hi all

Just wondering how others felt in their final couple of weeks before leaving? 

I am relocating with wlork, which has been a very rushed and stressful process. Stress levels are constantly high and sometimes overwhelming! 

Anybody else felt like this in their final weeks? 🙂

I would think everyone has/did! You definitely won’t be alone there. 😁

You must have thought this was a good thing at some point so go with it! Once you arrive you’ll have so much to do those first weeks will fly by. Then you can start to enjoy it! 

When do you move and where are you moving to?

Thanks for the reply mate! 

We move to Melbourne in 2 weeks.. Been wanting to do this for years and nows it's imminent I can't get rid of this stressed feeling haha! 

Would be interested in hearing everyone's experiences, im sure this is normal 🙂

24 minutes ago, Ncsmith said:

Thanks for the reply mate! 

We move to Melbourne in 2 weeks.. Been wanting to do this for years and nows it's imminent I can't get rid of this stressed feeling haha! 

Would be interested in hearing everyone's experiences, im sure this is normal 🙂

It’s a while ago for me but I went with full commitment despite those last minute doubts. I’ve since pinged or possibly ponged back to the UK last year. Must admit I  had fewer doubts coming back. Probably fear of the unknown going to Australia. I was in Geelong and then the Outer East of Melbourne. 

Good luck with your move. Enjoy it!

I'd say it's pretty normal - I was ready to turn back at Singapore when a cock up with hubby's visa app looked like Australia might not let him in! A very daunting and brave thing to do, and whilst many people dream of migrating, not everyone has the gumption to do it - would be strange if you weren't a little stressed

• Like 2

Yes it is pretty normal to have some stress and last minute things that you didn’t anticipate.

We got stuck in a last minute work hiccup which meant our furniture was in a shipping container that was just about to reach Singapore, we had flights booked for the following week, had tenants in our house on a 12 month contract and then we were told it might not happen.
If it couldn’t happen and we wanted our furniture back we’d probably have to pay ourselves to have it shipped back to us and they kindly pointed out it would be cheaper if we were able to turn it round at Singapore instead of making the full journey..... well that gave us 24 hours to make the decision.
We crossed everything and didn’t sleep for a week and we got on the plane [emoji38]

• Like 2

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess who just went with the flow and the view that I wasn't going to be there forever if I didn't want to be - it's not a jail so if it works that's a bonus and if it doesn't then you move on. I guess it all depends on how you like your adventures. If it's a work relocation then you'll probably be on a temporary visa so expect to return at some point and you won't be disappointed either way.

• Like 2

You're lucky in that you're going with work, so I assume you're getting your expenses paid.  The worst that can happen is that you have to put up with 4 years of being stuck in a job you don't like in a city you don't like, then they pay you to come home again.  Even if you hate it, you'll have leisure time where you can have a few adventures on the other side of the world.   Assuming you haven't sold your home, what have you lost?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Cheers for all the positive comments folks! 

We are going on a TSS yeh, with a view to make it permanent either myself) 189/190) or wait out for the 3 year deal. A few others have done sinilar with my company, but with the ever changing nature of the emigration system I'm thinking 189/190 is the best route. 

Glad to hear my nerves are normal, you dream of something like this for years but the reality of it is something else for sure 🙂

31 minutes ago, Ncsmith said:

We are going on a TSS yeh, with a view to make it permanent either myself) 189/190) or wait out for the 3 year deal. A few others have done sinilar with my company, but with the ever changing nature of the emigration system I'm thinking 189/190 is the best route. 

Glad to hear my nerves are normal, you dream of something like this for years but the reality of it is something else for sure 🙂

Yes, I definitely wouldn't wait as the way things are going with our current anti-immigration government, you never know if it will still be an option in three years. 

I'm sure it's just last minute nerves in your case, but it wouldn't hurt to sit down and have a chat with your partner to make sure you're both on the same page and still both raring to go.  As John Lennon famously said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".   Just occasionally, we see couples who've been so focussed on getting to Australia that they've failed to notice what a good life they've built in the UK, or they've never stopped to appreciate how they will feel to be separated from family and friends.  It's only in the final days when it's all becoming real, that it starts to hit.  So just make sure that isn't you, and you'll be fine. 

• Like 2

Ours is a similar story to yours, we moved here 10 years ago on a 457, we never looked to move to Oz but hubby got headhunted for a job and we went with it! He was flown out for an interview and rang me to say I’ve got the job get the wedding booked! So in 8 weeks we packed up our worldly goods, quit our jobs, got married then flew out the next day! We were pretty naive and just thought it would be a 4 year adventure but we fell in love with Oz pretty instantly and were lucky to gain our PR within the year, we are still here and citizens now, we feel incredibly lucky at the opportunity we were given and wish you all the very best xxx

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phoenix16 said:

Ours is a similar story to yours, we moved here 10 years ago on a 457, we never looked to move to Oz but hubby got headhunted for a job and we went with it! He was flown out for an interview and rang me to say I’ve got the job get the wedding booked! So in 8 weeks we packed up our worldly goods, quit our jobs, got married then flew out the next day! We were pretty naive and just thought it would be a 4 year adventure but we fell in love with Oz pretty instantly and were lucky to gain our PR within the year, we are still here and citizens now, we feel incredibly lucky at the opportunity we were given and wish you all the very best xxx

Amazing post 🙂 really nice to hear your whirlwind of a story! Thankyou

PS I will add it is very hard leaving family, it was a whirlwind but also very emotional, luckily for us family did support and encourage our decision, but the reality of life here without family support and a young child is difficult, it’s the sacrifice you make.  The upside is that family visit often, for them it’s a great holiday (especially winter there being summer here!) It can be tough when they arrive for a few months expecting full board, full maid and full chef service, plus it’s expensive but that’s the compromise!!!

Fortunately we don't have close ties with family (The one small benefit I guess!), how very leaving our friends is sure going to be tough. 

Haha yeh, we've told all friends and family to visit us, as we won't visit the UK for a while. Should be careful what I say, a house full for 2 weeks sounds stressful!! 

Guest AltyMatt

Relocating with work will make the move a lot smoother. I did the same, and decided the worst that could happen is I get to spend my free time exploring Australia. That was 15 years ago.

I know some people who moved here, decided it wasn't for them and returned home, but plenty of others have come out and settled. Either way I hope you enjoy the experience. 

The speed of moving with work is probably more of a shock, but you are much better supported and don't have to worry about finding a job and spending a stack of your savings in the meantime.  I found the idea of rushing in a couple of mnoths quite alarming, but now that fell through and we are going under our own steam, I am releaxed about moving but worried about finding work when i get there.  

• Like 1

I think its very normal to have nerves before the move and reading the forum over the years i am not the only one.

I think i spent the last few months prior to flying wondering what the hell we were doing and the first 6 mths after we had arrived wondering what the hell we had done! lol.  Thankfully (although hard at times) we settled and over 10 years on we have no regrets.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated on your journey

Cal x

We arrived in Melbourne last Sunday, so this is all very fresh in our minds. The reality of our decision started hitting home when the movers arrived in June, but we were still a bit distracted by the house sale completing, cleaning up etc. The week before we left we were ready and waiting to go, which was great, but also had lots of time to think, "Wow, we're really doing this." The realisation that we were leaving everything we knew was sobering to say the least.  There's definitely been a whirlwind of emotions, and doubts have crept in at times, but now we're here, it feels so worth it. We're definitely excited to see what's next for us. 

Slightly different circumstances, but I was talking to someone yesterday who came as a 10pd Pom. They had a 2 year old and she was 5 months pregnant when they boarded the ship. She said it was hard at first!! but it’s the best thing they ever did and they have not regretted it as they made a very good life here and love it.

Hope it works out well for you.

2 hours ago, five said:

We arrived in Melbourne last Sunday, so this is all very fresh in our minds. The reality of our decision started hitting home when the movers arrived in June, but we were still a bit distracted by the house sale completing, cleaning up etc. The week before we left we were ready and waiting to go, which was great, but also had lots of time to think, "Wow, we're really doing this." The realisation that we were leaving everything we knew was sobering to say the least.  There's definitely been a whirlwind of emotions, and doubts have crept in at times, but now we're here, it feels so worth it. We're definitely excited to see what's next for us. 

As you’re in Melbourne you all need to pick a footy team.  Don’t laugh, life in Victoria revolves around footy, professionally and socially.  Oh, and footy is not soccer.  

Edited by Bulya
Typo

Absolutely! It's a big life change and it would be weird not to be stressed and anxious about it, at least a little bit. It gets easier and more fun as you get used to it. Just do everything you can to be prepared and give yourself some time to get acclimated. 

2 hours ago, Bulya said:

As you’re in Melbourne you all need to pick a footy team.  Don’t laugh, life in Victoria revolves around footy, professionally and socially.  Oh, and footy is not soccer.  

It's Aussie Rules isn't it? Given the choice, I'd rather watch rugby. 

3 hours ago, five said:

It's Aussie Rules isn't it? Given the choice, I'd rather watch rugby. 

Melbourne Storm play League in the NRL and are very good.  If you meant Union, you won’t find many that have heard of it   

14 hours ago, five said:

Where in Melbourne are you heading? 

Could be a good idea to keep in touch, as we arrive in 2 weeks and might be nice to keep in touch with somebody on the same Journey!