Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

VicentJ

Visa 461 (Partner, NZ) and Working Rights while on Bridging Visa

Recommended Posts

Hello,

As the de-facto partner of a NZ citizen residing in Australia, I am considering to start an application for a 461(New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship) visa. I am concerned about the very lengthy period (two years) it takes to be approved.

I understand that I will get a bridging visa during this period. Will I have work rights while on this bridging visa?

Also, Immi website says that if I apply from Australia I have to be in Australia when they make their decision. What happens if I leave Australia while the visa is being processed? Is the process cancelled?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, VicentJ said:

Hello,

As the de-facto partner of a NZ citizen residing in Australia, I am considering to start an application for a 461(New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship) visa. I am concerned about the very lengthy period (two years) it takes to be approved.

I understand that I will get a bridging visa during this period. Will I have work rights while on this bridging visa?

Also, Immi website says that if I apply from Australia I have to be in Australia when they make their decision. What happens if I leave Australia while the visa is being processed? Is the process cancelled?

Thanks!

What visa are you on at the moment?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently I am on a 457, that will expire in 2021. I understand that I will have work rights as long as the 457 is valid. But I am wondering what the situation will be if the 457 is cancelled (due to my job being terminated) while awaiting outcome for the 461 visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

What visa are you on at the moment?

Currently I am on a 457, that will expire in 2021. I understand that I will have work rights as long as the 457 is valid. But I am wondering what the situation will be if the 457 is cancelled (due to my job being terminated) while awaiting outcome for the 461 visa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, VicentJ said:

Currently I am on a 457, that will expire in 2021. I understand that I will have work rights as long as the 457 is valid. But I am wondering what the situation will be if the 457 is cancelled (due to my job being terminated) while awaiting outcome for the 461 visa.

When you apply for the 461(onshore) you become eligible for a Bridging visa A. However this visa does not kick in until your 457 EXPIRES. Thats expires, not cancelled. If you cancel it then the Bridgng Visa gets cancelled as well. You must remain on the 457 until 2021 -unless the 461 is granted irst, in which case you move straight onto that 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nemesis said:

When you apply for the 461(onshore) you become eligible for a Bridging visa A. However this visa does not kick in until your 457 EXPIRES. Thats expires, not cancelled. If you cancel it then the Bridgng Visa gets cancelled as well. You must remain on the 457 until 2021 -unless the 461 is granted irst, in which case you move straight onto that 

Thanks! So, just to make sure, what happens if the 457 Visa is cancelled? This is, my job here is terminated and I cannot find a new sponsor? Am I obliged to leave the country until the 461 visa is processed?

Also, would that Bridging Visa A have work rights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, VicentJ said:

Thanks! So, just to make sure, what happens if the 457 Visa is cancelled? This is, my job here is terminated and I cannot find a new sponsor? Am I obliged to leave the country until the 461 visa is processed?

Also, would that Bridging Visa A have work rights?

461 bridging visas usually have the same work rights as the visa you hold when you apply. As @Nemesissays if the 457 is cancelled, so is your bridging visa. You will therefore have no visa to stay. Remember also if you get into this situation, you may have a problem getting back to Australia in order to have your 461 granted. 

  • Like 1

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×