Melbourne vs Perth

davidtiffen

Hi

Been living in Australia now 5 and a half years and love it.  Will never go back to UK.  We were made citizens last year and trying to decide now whether to stay in Melbourne or move to Perth.

Just wondering what peoples views were on Perth over Melbourne - this will all depend if I can get a job in Perth which seems difficult when based in Melbourne.  I know Perth is classed as more isolated and weather is better but at 46 & 55 we are not sure if this is the right move.

We are still renting due to major problems with land titling so still have the option to buy at either location - just wondered if anyone had experience living in both cities and what the pros and cons are?

Thanks All

7 hours ago, davidtiffen said:

Hi

Been living in Australia now 5 and a half years and love it.  Will never go back to UK.  We were made citizens last year and trying to decide now whether to stay in Melbourne or move to Perth.

Just wondering what peoples views were on Perth over Melbourne - this will all depend if I can get a job in Perth which seems difficult when based in Melbourne.  I know Perth is classed as more isolated and weather is better but at 46 & 55 we are not sure if this is the right move.

We are still renting due to major problems with land titling so still have the option to buy at either location - just wondered if anyone had experience living in both cities and what the pros and cons are?

Thanks All

Have you visited WA?  May be worth a visit before you decide.

Have not lived in Melbourne or Perth but have been a fairly frequent visitor to both for a number of years.  I guess it depends upon what type of lifestyle you are after.  If you and your partner are city people then both cities offer the cosmopolitan lifestyle and are fairly easy to get around.

If on the other hand your are looking for something slightly less urban and more relaxed then I can recommend the South West corner of Australia (WA)  This is the area between Bussleton and Margaret River. My grand children are near Dunsborough and I visit regularly.  The area has everything.  Hospitals, schools, large shops and boutique shopping as well, commerce industry and a great cosmopolitan lifestyle.  Farm industries are everywhere, and I dont mean cows and Sheep.  There are wineries and breweries galore in the hinterland most of which also have restauraunts.  There is a thriving arts scene as well as a keen beach culture.

My family has been there for nearly a year and they absolutely love the area.

Only last week Tripadvisor elected the South West of WA as the most desirable place to visit or live in the Asia Pacific Region.

Go check it out, you will be impressed.

• Like 2

On 08/07/2019 at 02:01, davidtiffen said:

Hi

Thanks All

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.livingin-australia.com/sunshine-hours-australia/&ved=2ahUKEwjQgpyNtrjjAhWNN8AKHYz7CioQFjAEegQIEhAI&usg=AOvVaw1D40BlzMkmnEh8p7Tijjw4

They are very different cities.

Both are in the middle of a housing correction, but Perth will be cheaper.

If your work is seasonal, or likely to run out, there aren't many other options if you are looking for a job in Perth.

Perth is a pretty city, but many would say it doesn't have the substance of Melbourne.

Are you happy in Melbourne?

39 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Have not lived in Melbourne or Perth but have been a fairly frequent visitor to both for a number of years.  I guess it depends upon what type of lifestyle you are after.  If you and your partner are city people then both cities offer the cosmopolitan lifestyle

The OP is living in Point Cook.  That's so far out of Melbourne city, I wouldn't classify it as "city life".   

It does raise the question of why the OP is thinking of this as just a choice between Melbourne and Perth.   What kind of work do you do, @davidtiffen?   If Point Cook suits you, then I'm  guessing you're not a big-city person and therefore I'd have thought (depending on what work you do) that you wojuld love a smaller regional centre, where you could have the Point Cook lifestyle.   Have you considered Newcastle (NSW), fabulous beaches, wineries?

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

The OP is living in Point Cook.  That's so far out of Melbourne city, I wouldn't classify it as "city life".   

It does raise the question of why the OP is thinking of this as just a choice between Melbourne and Perth.   What kind of work do you do, @davidtiffen?   If Point Cook suits you, then I'm  guessing you're not a big-city person and therefore I'd have thought (depending on what work you do) that you wojuld love a smaller regional centre, where you could have the Point Cook lifestyle.   Have you considered Newcastle (NSW), fabulous beaches, wineries?

Spent a few years at RAAF Laverton and used to use facilities at Point Cook in weekends.  Posted to RAAF Williamtown in Newcastle, which is light years ahead imho.  Booming city, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Port Stephens etc.  one of only two places I’d live in Australia fwiw 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 02:01, davidtiffen said:

Hi

Thanks All

Crikey, hard question to answer this is !

We lived in Perth for 28 years and LOVED it,  we moved because we just wanted a change,  and had reached a certain stage of our lives.

It all depends on what work you do, what you like to do with your spare time, and what your interests are. Perth may suit you, it may not, but unless you try it you will never know.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.