register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

starlight7

What is traditional British food?

4 hours ago, Bulya said:

Who on earth wants fatty mince?  In fact who eats mince in the first place?

fat gives flavour to food.

• Like 2

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

53 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

fat gives flavour to food.

True, but then you die...

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bulya said:

I reckon we might be about to find out that natural fat is much healthier than we've been led to believe for the last 50 years, because it can't explain why we're eating less fat but getting fatter.  I never buy anything "low fat" anymore, perfect cholesterol and blood sugars...and i'm thinner.  Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

24 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

I reckon we might be about to find out that natural fat is much healthier than we've been led to believe for the last 50 years, because it can't explain why we're eating less fat but getting fatter.  I never buy anything "low fat" anymore, perfect cholesterol and blood sugars...and i'm thinner.  Go figure.

Sugar, sugar, and more sugar 

5 hours ago, Bulya said:

See use real meat not mince.  Known as ragu

Ragu is minced meat....🤣

• Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

But what none of the dietary info admits to is that so much is down to genetics, it suits big business to make it the individuals problem and the govt collude with it,

biggest issues remain sugar including fruit sugars and carbohydrate, you would think that in the 21st century peoples awareness of unhealthy diets would be universal and yet go into any supermarket in the UK and see the giant multi packs of crisps and fried snacks, the shelves fulĺ of white bread, breakfast cereals laden with sugar, biscuits are predominantly covered with cheap brown coloured dairy fat, pies made with trans fat pastry fill isles of space.

Sausages, ready meals and burgers are universally available and consumed in vast quantities so is it any wonder that obesity is at epidemic levels.

And so much of it is habit, I cut sugar 50 years ago, cut salt out completely 5 years ago and can tell no difference in the taste. .

50 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Curry

Certain types yes. Better than from India even.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Ragu is minced meat....🤣

It actually isn’t, it’s rough cut.  Jamie Oliver can teach you.  Oh wait....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just had some absolutely fantastic fish and chips sitting on Cromer Pier, outstanding!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

This has been the case for decades, lots of fats that have been  demonised are actually essential  for the human body and low fat options are actually more harmful in a lot of cases. We are meat eaters and we need fats from all sources to maintain a healthy body, from meat eggs cheese milk oily fish. So much crap about fat and cholesterol, the body makes cholesterol and we all have different levels, even naturally  high cholesterol has never been shown to cause heart disease or attack’s. 

35 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

This has been the case for decades, lots of fats that have been  demonised are actually essential  for the human body and low fat options are actually more harmful in a lot of cases. We are meat eaters and we need fats from all sources to maintain a healthy body, from meat eggs cheese milk oily fish. So much crap about fat and cholesterol, the body makes cholesterol and we all have different levels, even naturally  high cholesterol has never been shown to cause heart disease or attack’s. 

Hmmmm

The total number of people involved in the study was nearly 70,000, but only 9 of the 19 studies actually included deaths from heart and circulatory disease.

Moreover, two-thirds of the total number of participants in this new analysis are from one study (Bathum et al 2013). This study found that higher cholesterol (total, HDL, or LDL) in people aged 50+ was associated with a lower all-cause mortality.  That study also showed that taking a statin prescription provided a significant survival benefit, regardless of age, whereas the researchers in this new analysis are using it to argue against statins.

They relied on limited, aggregated and inconsistent information …an approach liable to bias

John Danesh
BHF Professor of Epidemiology

Furthermore, the research, published in the BMJ Open journal, has been deemed unbalanced due to what John Danesh, BHF Professor of Epidemiology said was “crude study methods”. This is because their analysis "relied on limited, aggregated and inconsistent information from published sources, an approach liable to bias.”

Similarly Colin Baigent, of the University of Oxford, has described the study as reaching “completely the wrong conclusion. In fact, we know that cholesterol is just as important as a cause of heart disease in older people as it is in the young. We know this because of the evidence from all the randomized trials of statin therapy, which collectively have studied substantial numbers of older people.”

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/behind-the-headlines/cholesterol-and-statins

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Hmmmm

The total number of people involved in the study was nearly 70,000, but only 9 of the 19 studies actually included deaths from heart and circulatory disease.

Moreover, two-thirds of the total number of participants in this new analysis are from one study (Bathum et al 2013). This study found that higher cholesterol (total, HDL, or LDL) in people aged 50+ was associated with a lower all-cause mortality.  That study also showed that taking a statin prescription provided a significant survival benefit, regardless of age, whereas the researchers in this new analysis are using it to argue against statins.

They relied on limited, aggregated and inconsistent information …an approach liable to bias

John Danesh
BHF Professor of Epidemiology

Furthermore, the research, published in the BMJ Open journal, has been deemed unbalanced due to what John Danesh, BHF Professor of Epidemiology said was “crude study methods”. This is because their analysis "relied on limited, aggregated and inconsistent information from published sources, an approach liable to bias.”

Similarly Colin Baigent, of the University of Oxford, has described the study as reaching “completely the wrong conclusion. In fact, we know that cholesterol is just as important as a cause of heart disease in older people as it is in the young. We know this because of the evidence from all the randomized trials of statin therapy, which collectively have studied substantial numbers of older people.”

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/behind-the-headlines/cholesterol-and-statins

Published in the BMJ Open journal, the new study found that 92 percent of people with a high cholesterol level lived longer.

Lowering cholesterol with medications is a total waste of timeProfessor Sherif Sultan, University of Ireland

The authors have called for a re-evaluation of the guidelines for the prevention of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis, a hardening and narrowing of the arteries, because “the benefits from statin treatment have been exaggerated”.

The results have prompted immediate scepticism from other academics, however, who questioned the paper’s balance.

High cholesterol is commonly caused by an unhealthy diet, and eating high levels of saturated fat in particular, as well as smoking.

It is carried in the blood attached to proteins called lipoproteins and has been traditionally linked to cardiovascular diseases such as coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral arterial disease and aortic disease.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/12/high-cholesterol-does-not-cause-heart-disease-new-research-finds/

4 hours ago, unzippy said:

Just had some absolutely fantastic fish and chips sitting on Cromer Pier, outstanding!

Fried crap?

12 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Ragu is minced meat....🤣

No it's not.  Ragu is a sauce.  It's made with meat - frequently minced, but not always.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skani said:

No it's not.  Ragu is a sauce.  It's made with meat - frequently minced, but not always.

It isn’t minced if done correctly 

5 hours ago, Skani said:

Horse meat frequently but not always.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Published in the BMJ Open journal, the new study found that 92 percent of people with a high cholesterol level lived longer.

Lowering cholesterol with medications is a total waste of timeProfessor Sherif Sultan, University of Ireland

The authors have called for a re-evaluation of the guidelines for the prevention of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis, a hardening and narrowing of the arteries, because “the benefits from statin treatment have been exaggerated”.

The results have prompted immediate scepticism from other academics, however, who questioned the paper’s balance.

High cholesterol is commonly caused by an unhealthy diet, and eating high levels of saturated fat in particular, as well as smoking.

It is carried in the blood attached to proteins called lipoproteins and has been traditionally linked to cardiovascular diseases such as coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral arterial disease and aortic disease.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/12/high-cholesterol-does-not-cause-heart-disease-new-research-finds/

That study is the equivalent of the discredited study linking vaccines to autism.

Read what I posted.

Hey I forget you never read what I post

• Like 1

Grab an Eccles cake if you see one in a local bakery, and have a good chunk of crumbly cheese with it 👌

• Like 4

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | Arrived NSW 27/05/15 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19

Most people eat mince!!!!
Lamb mince is lovely (drained)

Who on earth wants fatty mince?  In fact who eats mince in the first place?

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

You can do a lot with mince and it is cheap. Many Italian dishes and Greek too. Moussaka and what’s wrong with a nice spag bol

• Like 2

On 15/08/2019 at 11:19, Bulya said:

Have you never tried wagyu?

Image result for wagyu beef steak

7 hours ago, simmo said:

Have you never tried wagyu?

Image result for wagyu beef steak

Yes once.  I eat very little red meat, and even less as time goes by.