register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

starlight7

What is traditional British food?

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Altogether now..."Oh, give us a bash at the bangers an' mash me muvver used to make."

Hoy!

Cheers, Bobj.

Actually, there is a pretty good pub in emsworth that does fantastic bangers and mash and a good selection of real ales.

39 minutes ago, newjez said:

Actually, there is a pretty good pub in emsworth that does fantastic bangers and mash and a good selection of real ales.

Emsworth? I used to go there for my school holidays to Beach Road. One of my “fav” places. That was when Sean Connery built, or bought a house there.

Cheers, Bobj.

3 hours ago, newjez said:

My mother in law has cod roe for breakfast most weekends. I'll eat most things but I draw the line at fish come.

I agree, cod roe is out there with pigs trotters and dried pea and potato soup.

9 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

and that is what defines a good pudding, the amount of fat in it.

Which is why the stuff in Aus, that I've found so far, pretty crap - there's a minuscule amount of fat in it.  Maybe that's why the sausages are pretty average too?

• Like 1

An English tradition is to get pissed at a local pub and pick up a GPS kebab...........it's the only way to find your way home.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Was that as a result of eating it or by choice, my OH is semi vegitarian ( I know. I know, semi. ) so I rarely have black pudding or fatty pork but I learnt to prepare and cook offal and cheap meat because it was cheap, so a pan of Ox lever and onions was the price of a lamb chop and fed a family of 4.

I was never a big meat eater and when I did eat it, every tiny bit of fat had to be cut off and I only ate chicken breast - disliked drumsticks and wings.   Hated pork (except for bacon) and lamb.  I stopped eating beef about 35 years ago and chicken about 6 years ago.  Don't miss it at all.  

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Which is why the stuff in Aus, that I've found so far, pretty crap - there's a minuscule amount of fat in it.  Maybe that's why the sausages are pretty average too?

Plenty of good sausages.  Not found in supermarkets, but you knew that 

• Haha 2

I've had some good sausages here- mostly butchers but some of the Aldi ones are ok too.  Coles , Woolworths etc- nah . Very bland. Positively nasty some of them.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 02:59, Bulya said:

Plenty of good sausages.  Not found in supermarkets, but you knew that 

Mate the snags in oz are gross and you know it, almost as bad as the curries.

• Haha 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

2 hours ago, Perthbum said:

So you know every sausage and curry maker in Australia?  You are good 

• Haha 1

Everyone who I've made a curry for have said mine is better than bought curries, though I have been using a fantast Indian for the past 10 years........took a long time to find a good one........Kadia King

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

There’s a place at Woolloongabba in Brisbane that sells a beautiful morcilla that is a Spanish/Portuguese version of black pudding. Made slightly differently but it’s the best I’ve had outside of Spain!
  • Like 2

On 02/07/2019 at 10:17, unzippy said:

How much research do you put in before buying?  Asking for a friend.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

How much research do you put in before buying?  Asking for a friend.....

Lots. 

The Vic market ones are ok at a pinch.

Sometimes you can get the Clonakilty black pudding in Woolies but it's made in Aus, not Ireland. But it's better than other Aus super market versions.

My local butchers makes it but it's too dry due to the fat content.

Rob's Butchers in Dandenong does the best I've found so far.

• Like 1

Just now, unzippy said:

Lots. 

The Vic market ones are ok at a pinch.

Sometimes you can get the Clonakilty black pudding in Woolies but it's made in Aus, not Ireland. But it's better than other Aus super market versions.

My local butchers makes it but it's too dry due to the fat content.

Rob's Butchers in Dandenong does the best I've found so far.

Fair effort.  Another thing that confuses matters here, the mandated min percentage meat.  Higher than the U.K.so  less room for seasonings/spices whatever.  Not saying that’s good, just the way it is.  We buy sausages actually named  ‘pommy pork’ and they’re pretty good, though I have to watch sodium levels carefully.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ssiri said:

A curry

Exactly.

Most good foods in any country have their roots in peasant food and in the UK that was all about poverty foods.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Exactly.

Most good foods in any country have their roots in peasant food and in the UK that was all about poverty foods.

There's an old saying "Live like a king but eat like a peasant".  A simple diet can often lead to a healthier life.

• Like 3

On 01/07/2019 at 14:09, Parley said:

I like meat but I draw the line at animal organs.

i will never eat liver, kidney, brains, tripe etc which some seem to like.

It's a funny thing that we are now flesh-eaters, but we no longer eat the most nutritious part of animals, unlike any other animal that consumes meat.    Unless you're Chinese, who are mystified that we only eat the flesh that they see as the most useless part of animal food.   

Westerners didn't used to be like this for a hundred thousand years of evolution, up to around 60 years ago?  Organs were a very common staple in the UK for untold generations, my parents had to eat them as kids only 60 years ago. 

I'm sure it's going to come out sooner or later that by stopping eating the food that we evolved our bodily systems from consuming, we're missing out on something vital in our guts that's not working out well for us medically.   With the growing link to alzheimers, parkinson's and dementia cases perhaps being linked to the digesitive system and missing proteins in people's brains, I won't be surprised when they link it back to some chemical reaction that we used to create naturally but no longer do. 

• Haha 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

On 06/07/2019 at 16:21, Bulya said:

Fair effort.  Another thing that confuses matters here, the mandated min percentage meat.  Higher than the U.K.so  less room for seasonings/spices whatever.  

The mince is excellent but far harder to cook with.  There's so little fat in it that it sticks together like mush and doesn't break up like fatty UK mince.  Also harder to find it frozen here, much harder for making pies and chillies.

• Haha 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

8 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

It's a funny thing that we are now flesh-eaters, but we no longer eat the most nutritious part of animals, unlike any other animal that consumes meat.    Unless you're Chinese, who are mystified that we only eat the flesh that they see as the most useless part of animal food.   

Westerners didn't used to be like this for a hundred thousand years of evolution, up to around 60 years ago?  Organs were a very common staple in the UK for untold generations, my parents had to eat them as kids only 60 years ago. 

I'm sure it's going to come out sooner or later that by stopping eating the food that we evolved our bodily systems from consuming, we're missing out on something vital in our guts that's not working out well for us medically.   With the growing link to alzheimers, parkinson's and dementia cases perhaps being linked to the digesitive system and missing proteins in people's brains, I won't be surprised when they link it back to some chemical reaction that we used to create naturally but no longer do. 

I'll stick to my vegetarian diet.  Never liked meat except for chicken breast and bacon so it wasn't hard to give it up ago years.  Had my MOT at the Dr's the other day and apparently I'm as healthy as a horse  .............  except for an inherited heart problem.  Apart from that, everything is up to scratch even iron levels.

1 hour ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

The mince is excellent but far harder to cook with.  There's so little fat in it that it sticks together like mush and doesn't break up like fatty UK mince.  Also harder to find it frozen here, much harder for making pies and chillies.

Who on earth wants fatty mince?  In fact who eats mince in the first place?

57 minutes ago, Bulya said:

Italians eat a lot......you never had spag bog, lasagne, cottage pie, meatballs......you are missing out on some good grub.

• Like 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

I buy mince regularly for Bolognese. 

I always buy the heart smart or low fat mince from woolies.

there are cheaper versions which have a bit more fat content 

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

55 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Italians eat a lot......you never had spag bog, lasagne, cottage pie, meatballs......you are missing out on some good grub.

See use real meat not mince.  Known as ragu

• Haha 1