register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

starlight7

What is traditional British food?

24 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Ooh, a Ploughman's Lunch at a nice country pub, that's got to be worth putting on the list. 

Bread, cheese, beer and a pickled onion...Not bad...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely Staffordshire/Cheshire oatcakes. Sort of a wholegrain pancake. Had some in a cafe in Tarporley as part of a cooked breakfast. I have since made my own. Very basic ingredients but super yummy.

• Like 2

Fish restaurants are very popular in the UK now but you have to book well in advance if you want a table at weekends,  also pizza restaurants where they have a pizza oven and make the pizza at the front of the bar to order. its all about image these days in the UK and most younger people work out and try and eat healthy, menus have changed dramatically in the last decad and lots more gluton free and healthier choices. The chain I work for has found that people a lot of people want more Mediterranean type dishes on the menu.and so many people are going vegan or pescatarian than we have to have a menu just for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

Definitely Staffordshire/Cheshire oatcakes. Sort of a wholegrain pancake. Had some in a cafe in Tarporley as part of a cooked breakfast. I have since made my own. Very basic ingredients but super yummy.

Sounds a bit like Scottish tattie scones.  Often part of a cooked breakfast and yummy.

tattie.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

@BacktoDemocracyThat wor' only for plot neet, tha knows. Well, in Yorkshur it wor,  70 years ago.

Aye lad- me mamma away had it on plot neet along wi't catherin wheels

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

@BacktoDemocracyThat wor' only for plot neet, tha knows. Well, in Yorkshur it wor,  70 years ago.

Aye lad- me mamma away had it on plot neet along wi't catherin wheels😉

Cheers, Bobj.

Love a ploughman's - we used to get them in the pub in Warrington back in the 1960s . Yummo. Best cheese, never had anything so nice before or since- think it was Cheshire. The Tasmanian Mersey Valley comes close but still not quite so good.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Love a ploughman's - we used to get them in the pub in Warrington back in the 1960s . Yummo. Best cheese, never had anything so nice before or since- think it was Cheshire. The Tasmanian Mersey Valley comes close but still not quite so good.

We get our cheese from Ashgrove Farm.  They also do a very good cheddar.

https://www.ashgrovecheese.com.au/products/cheese/english-county/

• Like 2

Image result for best ploughmans lunch

• Like 3

My weekend breakfast was Scottish themed as Gfs family are from Livingstone....

Sounds a bit like Scottish tattie scones.  Often part of a cooked breakfast and yummy.

tattie.jpg.1000004d3abf5011eb2e92a5994204a6.jpg
  • Like 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

5 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Remove the celery though PB - evil stuff

Young and fresh isn’t.  Old and stringy definitely is 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, unzippy said:

Black pudding, in fact treat yourself to a decent fryup😎

Proper black pudding comes tied up in a horse shoe and is boiled or steamed for 20 minutes and is then split and served with a little English mustard.

Be warned it is a blood pudding which should have nice lumps of fat epread through it to give it taste, the description sounds vile but it is nicer boiled than fried which is how it is often served now.

• Like 2

On 30/6/2019 at 11:14, starlight7 said:

Just wondering what you would consider good British food apart from pork pies ( hate 'em) and Yorkshire pud?  We are off over there for a week and I want to indulge myself on the good stuff.  Can you still get those lovely curd tart things in Yorkshire? What is good in the Lake District ?

I forgot to mention about excellent blue cheeses especially Stilton and Shropshire blue both of which were available in my local Sainsbury super market the thing with all the cheeses is to let them come to room temperature to enjoy the best flavour of them, which is true of lots of foods which in Australia are served straight from the fridge,  same with dark beers, try local beers such as Theakstons and black sheep, don't  be put off that it isn't frozen, go for the taste, look for dark Leffe ' brune' French  and Belgian ' Trappist'  beers in the bigger supermarkets, take care tho they are often 8% alchohol..

''Hot pot' is another local dish, basically potato stew with bits of fatty meat, often scrag end of lamb to give it taste and to make it even more filling, suet dumplings, or a suet pastry crust. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Yes I remember that black pudding and used to have it in the 1960 s when we went up North. When I found out what it was I kind of went off it though ....

Nah . You've obviously never been hungry, I only turn my nose up at tripe and chitterlings, tripe done the french way is passable tho, but I won't eat Ox heart or pressed ox tongue ever now.

13 hours ago, Toots said:

I'm pescetarian  -  I eat fish but not other types of meat.  Black pudding, haggis and any sort of offal just the thought of it    ...............  Ugh.

Was that as a result of eating it or by choice, my OH is semi vegitarian ( I know. I know, semi. ) so I rarely have black pudding or fatty pork but I learnt to prepare and cook offal and cheap meat because it was cheap, so a pan of Ox lever and onions was the price of a lamb chop and fed a family of 4.

13 hours ago, Toots said:

.............  but they don't contain congealed blood which makes the black pudding a wee bit on the scabby side. 😋

Its not congealed blood, the blood is mixed with oatmeal, seasoning, bread crumbs and pork fat, put into a animal or synthetic casing and then boiled or steamed to cook it and blend and infuse the fat into the mixture, which gives it its taste, so the fat is what gives it its taste not the blood and that is what defines a good pudding, the amount of fat in it.

9 hours ago, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers, Bobj.

Ay well you woz do'in well if tha' pudding had't drippin on it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Remove the celery though PB - evil stuff

I agree, why it's grown I'll never understand, like eating macramé steeped in onion water.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tonyman said:

Black pudding is actually a super good, high in protein, zinc and iron ,low in carbs hence why body builders use it....
I cooked black and white pudding, Scottish sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes egg and beans yesterday for 8 yesterday, BP makes you feel full for longer......
Not good on a regular basis but still a super food if bought from the correct butcher that hand makes it himself...... Don't understand why people worry about what's in it when they constantly shove fast food crap down their kids throats!

My mother's black pudding is so black even the white bits are black!

Love a bit of black pudding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Nah . You've obviously never been hungry, I only turn my nose up at tripe and chitterlings, tripe done the french way is passable tho, but I won't eat Ox heart or pressed ox tongue ever now.

My mother in law has cod roe for breakfast most weekends. I'll eat most things but I draw the line at fish come.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, newjez said:

My mother in law has cod roe for breakfast most weekends. I'll eat most things but I draw the line at fish come.

🤣 its not sperm, its fish eggs.

Roe or hard roe is the fully ripe internal egg masses in the ovaries, or the released external egg masses of fish and certain marine animals, such as shrimp, scallop and sea urchins. As a seafood, roe is used both as a cooked ingredient in many dishes and as a raw ingredient. Wikipedia

Edited by Perthbum
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Toots said:

tattie.jpg

Possibly. Mine were more crepe pancake than hotcake pancake! Makes a change from toast as a bit of carb on the plate. 🙂

I’ll look out for tattie scones. If they have potato in they can’t be bad. ☺️

• Like 1

Altogether now..."Oh, give us a bash at the bangers an' mash me muvver used to make."

Hoy!

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1