You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

starlight7

What is traditional British food?

Just wondering what you would consider good British food apart from pork pies ( hate 'em) and Yorkshire pud?  We are off over there for a week and I want to indulge myself on the good stuff.  Can you still get those lovely curd tart things in Yorkshire? What is good in the Lake District ?

The Lake District has an abundance of some of the best food in the UK including some of the best restaurant in the world. This gives some ideas, though is far from the inclusive https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/best-places-eat-cumbria-and-lake-district

If you are driving up the M6, then stop here. https://www.tebayservices.com

It is at the turn for the lakes and is an amazing farm shop / deli. The quality is amazing and actually not overpriced. I bought an aged rib of beef that was cheaper than Aldi and blew the socks off Aldi in every aspect. Huge amount of cheese, meats and things. 

Cumbria is now one of the big areas for gastronomy not just in e UK but Europe. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Just wondering what you would consider good British food apart from pork pies ( hate 'em) and Yorkshire pud?  We are off over there for a week and I want to indulge myself on the good stuff.  Can you still get those lovely curd tart things in Yorkshire? What is good in the Lake District ?

Try Cumberland sausage from a butchers rather than supermarket, do try a pork pie from a traditional pork butchers, they should be served at room temperature and the best kind are large enough to be sliced with a little genuine Dijon mustard.

Try oatcakes if you can find them, grilled and spread with butter,  oven bottom flat cakes or barm cakes, a kind of bread roll but more solid, a basis for a good sandwich, try to find a good cheese shop or market stall selling tradional Lancashire and Cheshire cheese from big waxed cotton rounds of cheese, it may have changed since I was there years ago but those are  the local cheeses. 

You have to try Kendal Mint cake which is basically pure sugar with peppermint, guaranteed to rot your teeth, meant as instant energy fo fell walkers,  pick up copies of Wainwrights walks and climbs if you intend to do any serious walks

Try Parkin from a proper local bakers, treale and oats in the form of a giant tray of cake, meant to be cheap cake for the poor, Lardy cake is similar but based on bread made with lard in the mix and then laced with sugar throgh it before it goes in the oven.

Most of the staples in Lancashire, Cheshire and Yorkshire were cheap filling food for people with little money, Yorkshire puddings were cooked under the meat to soak up the fat and juices and were meant to take the edge of the hunger so that the meat went further,  steamed suet puddings (spotted dick, jam roly poly) with custard, scones, eccles cakes are another poor mans biscuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, starlight7 said:

This is worth a visit if you can manage it Beatrix Potters home.

https://www.peterrabbit.com/the-national-trust-hill-top/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Black pudding, in fact treat yourself to a decent fryup😎

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Black pudding, in fact treat yourself to a decent fryup😎

Gross!

Yes I remember that black pudding and used to have it in the 1960 s when we went up North. When I found out what it was I kind of went off it though ....

39 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Yes I remember that black pudding and used to have it in the 1960 s when we went up North. When I found out what it was I kind of went off it though ....

vomit.gif

• Thanks 1

My son had to have a steak pudding when he went back to the UK - it was the first photo he sent me on his trip.

Curry is probably one of the staples now in the UK - so a good curry

• Like 2

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

14 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Grasmere is famous for its gingerbread.  Lovely little village to visit too.

gingerbread.jpg

• Like 3

Black pudding is actually a super good, high in protein, zinc and iron ,low in carbs hence why body builders use it....
I cooked black and white pudding, Scottish sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes egg and beans yesterday for 8 yesterday, BP makes you feel full for longer......
Not good on a regular basis but still a super food if bought from the correct butcher that hand makes it himself...... Don't understand why people worry about what's in it when they constantly shove fast food crap down their kids throats!

• Like 5

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

3 minutes ago, tonyman said:

Black pudding is actually a super good, high in protein, zinc and iron ,low in carbs hence why body builders use it....
I cooked black and white pudding, Scottish sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes egg and beans yesterday for 8 yesterday, BP makes you feel full for longer......
Not good on a regular basis but still a super food if bought from the correct butcher that hand makes it himself...... Don't understand why people worry about what's in it when they constantly shove fast food crap down their kids throats!

Lazy people feed their kids fast food.  We didn’t, and it was all organic.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

vomit.gif

The Scottish comedian Danny Bhoy described it as eating a giant scab! It really is quite delicious though

Edited by MacGyver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

:evilface_frowning_s

7 minutes ago, tonyman said:

I'm pescetarian  -  I eat fish but not other types of meat.  Black pudding, haggis and any sort of offal just the thought of it    ...............  Ugh.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tonyman said:

I dare say a lot of folk enjoy that sort of fry up but not for me.  Wouldn't say no to the mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs and beans though.  😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The Scottish comedian Danny Bhoy described it as eating a giant scab! It really is quite delicious though

Good description.  👍

It sure is tasty pal...
Anything crispy like bacon, crumbed fish, roast potatoes ect could be described as eating a scab though........!

• Like 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

11 minutes ago, tonyman said:

It sure is tasty pal...
Anything crispy like bacon, crumbed fish, roast potatoes ect could be described as eating a scab though........!

.............  but they don't contain congealed blood which makes the black pudding a wee bit on the scabby side. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A good curry or balti, better around Birmingham but there will be some good restaurants around the Leeds and Bradford areas. 

Anywhere in the UK has better food than what's on offer in Australia. The Local Market here gets all the Rubbish . The meat is awful a waste of money,and   it's so expensive  , most   fruit is dry, and the veggies are tasteless. Why you may ask?.Everything is grown on chemicals. Pesticides some that are banned overseas ,and Fertilizers. What arable land there is is overfarmed. And virtually in drought most of the time in Qld.. The beef cattle are injected with hormones banned in the UK.Where we live in the Lockyer Valley in Queensland.  in the middle of 2000 acres of farmland. I asked the Famer one day. Why  i had never seen any worms in my garden. He said you won't the land is dead .The worms died due to the use of pesticides over the  years .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Zack said:

Anywhere in the UK has better food than what's on offer in Australia. The Local Market here gets all the Rubbish . The meat is awful a waste of money,and   it's so expensive  , most   fruit is dry, and the veggies are tasteless. Why you may ask?.Everything is grown on chemicals. Pesticides some that are banned overseas ,and Fertilizers. What arable land there is is overfarmed. And virtually in drought most of the time in Qld.. The beef cattle are injected with hormones banned in the UK.Where we live in the Lockyer Valley in Queensland.  in the middle of 2000 acres of farmland. I asked the Famer one day. Why  i had never seen any worms in my garden. He said you won't the land is dead .The worms died due to the use of pesticides over the  years .

Why are you living in oz ?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Zack said:

It's time for you to move away from the area where you are so unhappy Zack.  Not all parts of Australia are as you describe.  Tasmania has grass fed sheep and cattle never injected with hormones.

You gave the UK a try when you moved back a while ago but you weren't happy there either.  You should have stayed there.  Time for you to read some of the old posts you made about the UK.  You can't have it both ways.

• Like 5

I like meat but I draw the line at animal organs.

i will never eat liver, kidney, brains, tripe etc which some seem to like.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

7 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Try Cumberland sausage from a butchers rather than supermarket, do try a pork pie from a traditional pork butchers, they should be served at room temperature and the best kind are large enough to be sliced with a little genuine Dijon mustard.

Try oatcakes if you can find them, grilled and spread with butter,  oven bottom flat cakes or barm cakes, a kind of bread roll but more solid, a basis for a good sandwich, try to find a good cheese shop or market stall selling tradional Lancashire and Cheshire cheese from big waxed cotton rounds of cheese, it may have changed since I was there years ago but those are  the local cheeses. 

You have to try Kendal Mint cake which is basically pure sugar with peppermint, guaranteed to rot your teeth, meant as instant energy fo fell walkers,  pick up copies of Wainwrights walks and climbs if you intend to do any serious walks

Try Parkin from a proper local bakers, treale and oats in the form of a giant tray of cake, meant to be cheap cake for the poor, Lardy cake is similar but based on bread made with lard in the mix and then laced with sugar throgh it before it goes in the oven.

Most of the staples in Lancashire, Cheshire and Yorkshire were cheap filling food for people with little money, Yorkshire puddings were cooked under the meat to soak up the fat and juices and were meant to take the edge of the hunger so that the meat went further,  steamed suet puddings (spotted dick, jam roly poly) with custard, scones, eccles cakes are another poor mans biscuit.

@BacktoDemocracyThat wor' only for plot neet, tha knows. Well, in Yorkshur it wor,  70 years ago.

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Haha 1

Ooh, a Ploughman's Lunch at a nice country pub, that's got to be worth putting on the list. 

• Like 3