convert uk license to QLD

is it true that you have to have PR to get a QLD license, or have I misunderstood that on the Transport and Motoring site?

I've lived away from the UK since 2004, my UK license expired 2010. I have called DVLA and as I can't renew my UK license if I'm not a resident of the UK, they will issue me a certificate of entitlement. Anyone had experience of this? will the Transport and motoring site accept that to transfer to a QLD license?

any help/thoughts would be appreciated

If you have PR you HAVE to get a QLD licence after a certain period of time. It used to be 12 weeks.

If you are on a temp visa it is up to you if you get a QLD licence, you do not HAVE too, but its a great form of ID so IMO worth getting if your here for a while.

Cal x

I recently got a Queensland driving licence with an out-of-date UK driving licence photocard.   I am on a Bridging Visa so technically temporary (although ATO thinks I am permanent for tax purposes 😉)

At Cairns Transport I explained that the old part of my UK driving licence (the old green bit) was still valid and says so.  But my photocard is out of date since I cannot renew it as I don't have a UK address.  The lady at the counter checked her system and could find nothing to say whether this was OK or not.  She was sympathetic and went and discussed with her manager and he/she said it was OK to change to Queensland licence.

I would suggest going with your old green driving licence and asking them nicely.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, we are heading to Brisbane in the new year on a PR visa so will have to get a QLD licence. 

On my UK licence I have C1 entitlement so upto 7.5 tonne. What class will I get when I transfer to the QLD licence do you know??

Also I do not have towing entitlement on my uk licence, do you get this automatically in Australia?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Woodydj82 said:

Hi all, we are heading to Brisbane in the new year on a PR visa so will have to get a QLD licence. 

On my UK licence I have C1 entitlement so upto 7.5 tonne. What class will I get when I transfer to the QLD licence do you know??

Also I do not have towing entitlement on my uk licence, do you get this automatically in Australia?

Thanks in advance.

Hi 

See if this link helps - https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer

I know HGV isnt transferable like a car licence, but im not sure what tonne your car licence allows you to drive. You can tow a normal trailer but i doubt any extra licence is transferable .

Cal x

59 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Hi 

See if this link helps - https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer

I know HGV isnt transferable like a car licence, but im not sure what tonne your car licence allows you to drive. You can tow a normal trailer but i doubt any extra licence is transferable .

Cal x

Nice one, I will take a look, cheers.