Skilled

Lee33

Hi all 

looking for a bit of advice if any can help please. I’m a gas engineer at the minute but have currently worked doing plumbing heating and gas for 18 years now, that’s including my 4 year apprentice. I have a wide variety of experience even done a bit of air conditioning, I was at the same company for 11 years which did a variety of work in hospitals, schools and domestic work. I’m looking to emigrate to Perth and wondering how I go about getting the ball rolling. I.e do I need to do a skills test, English test heard a few things like this but dunno where to start. Thanks any advice would be great full  

50 minutes ago, Lee33 said:

Hi all 

looking for a bit of advice if any can help please. I’m a gas engineer at the minute but have currently worked doing plumbing heating and gas for 18 years now, that’s including my 4 year apprentice. I have a wide variety of experience even done a bit of air conditioning, I was at the same company for 11 years which did a variety of work in hospitals, schools and domestic work. I’m looking to emigrate to Perth and wondering how I go about getting the ball rolling. I.e do I need to do a skills test, English test heard a few things like this but dunno where to start. Thanks any advice would be great full  

Hi Lee, 

I'd start with checking the SOL first to see whether your occupation is on the list. Then, check WA requirements for the immigration, every state has it differently. If you're on the SOL and fulfilling the state requirements, have a look at your points. Are you thinking about 190? You might even be eligible for 189. Skill assessment will probably need to be done, depending on the country where you studied. Same with English test but you will probably do it anyway as every point matters and the more points you're able to gather the better. 

Best of luck! 

I am afraid the above poster is slightly out of date, as the SOL no longer exists. 

The starting process is here https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au

I "think" your occupation is on the medium and long term list. That is the best to be on, but you need to check. If it is, you will see next to it on the list the assessing body for your occupation. You need to have your skills assessed by them.  

At the same time, you can book an English exam such as ILETS. While it isn't compulsory for Brits to have one, it gives extra points. This is important as for a 189 visa (the best and for Perth, probably the only real option as WA have a very limited option on state sponsorship) it is a competition based on points. The more points the better. 

Once you have a positive skills assessment and the results for your English, you can lodge an expression of interest. (Eoi). You then need to wait to be invited, which will depend on how many points you have. The minimum is 65, but that is unlikely to every get an invite. 

This can seem daunting and it isn't easy and easy to make an error. An error can result in a visa refusal, which means loss of the thousands in fees and potentially even a ban on reapplying. As a result, I strongly recommend using a registered migration agent. Camilla who runs http://www.newlifedownunder.com.au/ is one I highly regard. 

You might also want to have a look at our sister site perthpoms.com

Good luck.