Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Tanwi

Dual citizenship travel

Recommended Posts

As a dual citizen what appears on one's home country passport in terms of vevo when they scan at airport? 

 

Also how does one leave and enter Australia? Am I wrong if I leave Australia on Australian passport, upon arrival at home country can I present my home country passport. Then exit with home country passport and enter Australia on Australian passport?

 

New to the dual citizenship life so any insight would be appreciate in terms of travelling from Australia direct to home country.

Thank you. 

Edited by Tanwi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always been told to depart using the passport required for entry on arrival at your final destination, so when travelling from Australia to the UK, I use my British passport, and then depart the UK on my Australian passport. This avoids any issues with visa requirements at the final destination. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrsmac said:

I have always been told to depart using the passport required for entry on arrival at your final destination, so when travelling from Australia to the UK, I use my British passport, and then depart the UK on my Australian passport. This avoids any issues with visa requirements at the final destination. 

Thank you for that insight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mrsmac said:

I have always been told to depart using the passport required for entry on arrival at your final destination, so when travelling from Australia to the UK, I use my British passport, and then depart the UK on my Australian passport. This avoids any issues with visa requirements at the final destination. 

That only applies when checking in for your flight. Airlines need to know that you have permission to stay once you arrive at your destination (or they won't allow you to board). So show them the passport that will allow you to enter the destination country. If you're flying to the UK you can show either a British passport or an Australian passport ( because Australian passport holders get an automatic entry to the UK).

When you are exiting Australia and going through immigration you should show your Australian passport. Any British or other foreign passport you have will not have a current visa and attempting to exit using it may cause you to be stopped by immigration and asked how you got in.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

That only applies when checking in for your flight. Airlines need to know that you have permission to stay once you arrive at your destination (or they won't allow you to board). So show them the passport that will allow you to enter the destination country. If you're flying to the UK you can show either a British passport or an Australian passport ( because Australian passport holders get an automatic entry to the UK).

When you are exiting Australia and going through immigration you should show your Australian passport. Any British or other foreign passport you have will not have a current visa and attempting to exit using it may cause you to be stopped by immigration and asked how you got in.

So when leaving Australia show Australian one to immigration. 

When  you arrive in UK shown UK one.

When trips over leaving UK show UK passport  and plane arrives in Australia show Australia one? 

You can operate both passports on one travel? 

Or am I misguided? 

Edited by Tanwi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can use both passports on the one journey.

Assuming you have both Australian and British passports and you are travelling from Australia to the UK:

1. When you check in for your flight FROM Australia show your British passport.

2. When you exit Australia through Immigration you show your Australian passport.

3. When you arrive in the UK you show your British passport.

4. When you check in for your flight FROM the UK show your Australian passport.

5. When you arrive in Australia show your Australian passport.

Edited by NickyNook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

Yes, you can use both passports on the one journey.

Assuming you have both Australian and British passports and you are travelling from Australia to the UK:

1. When you check in for your flight FROM Australia show your British passport.

2. When you exit Australia through Immigration you show your Australian passport.

3. When you arrive in the UK you show your British passport.

4. When you check in for your flight FROM the UK show your Australian passport.

5. When you arrive in Australia show your Australian passport.

Thank you that pretty much clarifies my ask. Cheers everyone. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or just use your Australian one if your stay in UK is short. 

For most of our holidays now we just use our Aus one. Although it depends if that country needs a visa or not and cost. So for Vietnam UK passport is best and an Indian visa is cheaper on a Aus passport. 

But whatever you must use Aus passport at immigration points in and out of Aus. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes true visa on arrival put in passports could be an issue when leaving a country cause then they can't see the visa in Australian passport as you entered with home country passport. Most probably I might just use Australian, save on the complexity 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Or just use your Australian one if your stay in UK is short. 

For most of our holidays now we just use our Aus one. Although it depends if that country needs a visa or not and cost. So for Vietnam UK passport is best and an Indian visa is cheaper on a Aus passport. 

But whatever you must use Aus passport at immigration points in and out of Aus. 

Same here, only ever used the Aussie ones since gaining citizenship and never had an issue , UK ones are now expired and i see no point in renewing them.

   Cal x

  • Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Australia requires citizens to enter and leave on an Australian passport, the UK has no such requirement.  Just eb sure to enter and leave on the SAME passport - if you enter on your Australian passport and leave on your British one you could show up as an overstayer, which while it wouldn't stop you entering in future (as you are British) it might slow things down.

  • Like 2

PR (100) planning to move to Perth by then end of 2019!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Same here, only ever used the Aussie ones since gaining citizenship and never had an issue , UK ones are now expired and i see no point in renewing them.

   Cal x

Just to add, if there is any likelihood of returning to the UK to live, its eaaier to keep renewing them, rather than having to apply from scratch further down the line - might be relevant for kids going back when they leave school for uni, work, etc. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect it is best practice to always travel with both. Whenever I check in, I put both on the counter and let them choose. So far they have always chosen the one that I am to enter on, and I travel at least once every year. Not such an issue if you are flying direct.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Just to add, if there is any likelihood of returning to the UK to live, its eaaier to keep renewing them, rather than having to apply from scratch further down the line - might be relevant for kids going back when they leave school for uni, work, etc. 

Yes cheap enough to renew UK passport from Aus and easy to do. I keep both current. And it is useful in some countries to have a choice. 

  • Like 3

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are dual (UK /Aus citizens). Our children have their Aus passports but we haven’t applied for their British ones.... yet.

We are going to UK next month for a few weeks and were planning to enter on our British passports, but because this differs to the children I have heard immigration might think we are planning to stay long term and get their knickers in a twist because the children can’t obviously stay permanaently on an Aus passport. 

We are just going to use our Aus passports to enter the UK and return (as mandated)  and save any potential confusion/suspicions. 

  • Like 1

Due to escalating bills and budgetary cuts in the NHS, unfortunately, the light at the end of the tunnel has had to be switched off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×