You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Saurer Pfirsich

How much exercise do you get?

So , I’ve just turned 50 and am implementing a lifestyle review - trying to lose weight, cutting down on booze and caffeine and undertaking a mindfulness course. I’ve also had a bit of health M.O.T. from my GP, during the course of which she asked me about how much exercise I did. To my horror, it dawned on me that I don’t actually do any. That’s not to say that I’ve become totally sedentary. I take the dog out for a walk every night, occasionally take the kids swimming, and keep busy around the house, but that’s about it. 

It’s quite confronting how much my fitness has slipped away over the past 10 years. In my teens and 20’s I played football and cricket at weekends and went jogging 3 nights a week. In my 30’s I took up fell-walking and kept up the jogging. But nowadays, nothing. I’ve gone from looking like Shaggy from ScoobyDoo, to John Prescott in a fat suit.

One big reason is work. I’ve had a couple of promotions since moving to Australia, and that’s meant longer working days and even time in the office at weekends. I love my job, but it’s knackering, and so after getting home there’s just enough time to help the kids with their homework, eat dinner and then  hit the hay. Weekends are spent running the kids to their sports and social activities or doing jobs around the house and  I don’t have the energy for much else.

I don’t imagine that I’m alone as a middle-aged bloater, but I’m curious as to what other posters’ exercise ‘regimes’ (terrifying word!) look like, and how they manage to fit it in?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

So , I’ve just turned 50 and am implementing a lifestyle review - trying to lose weight, cutting down on booze and caffeine and undertaking a mindfulness course. I’ve also had a bit of health M.O.T. from my GP, during the course of which she asked me about how much exercise I did. To my horror, it dawned on me that I don’t actually do any. That’s not to say that I’ve become totally sedentary. I take the dog out for a walk every night, occasionally take the kids swimming, and keep busy around the house, but that’s about it. 

It’s quite confronting how much my fitness has slipped away over the past 10 years. In my teens and 20’s I played football and cricket at weekends and went jogging 3 nights a week. In my 30’s I took up fell-walking and kept up the jogging. But nowadays, nothing. I’ve gone from looking like Shaggy from ScoobyDoo, to John Prescott in a fat suit.

One big reason is work. I’ve had a couple of promotions since moving to Australia, and that’s meant longer working days and even time in the office at weekends. I love my job, but it’s knackering, and so after getting home there’s just enough time to help the kids with their homework, eat dinner and then  hit the hay. Weekends are spent running the kids to their sports and social activities or doing jobs around the house and  I don’t have the energy for much else.

I  don’t imagine that I’m alone as a middle-aged bloater, but I’m curious as to what other posters’ exercise ‘regimes’ (terrifying word!) look like, and how they manage to fit it in?

It's not easy to find the time for exercise when you work full time and also work long hours so I sympathise with you.  I am fitter in retirement than when I worked full time.  Plenty of time for cycling, walking and swimming.  I also do yoga.

My OH used to do boxing training after work.  Non contact but did the jogging, skipping, sparring and a good go at a punch bag.  He really enjoyed it and it kept him fit. 

• Like 1

How much exercise?  Nowhere near enough. Mondays we walk with our Probus group for an hour followed by coffee(no cakes!) Usually we go for a shorter walk Tuesdays and apart from wandering around shops, housework and running up and down the stairs at home- that's it. However we are the only couple so far in our group not to need knee reconstruction or a hip replacement so I figure that sometimes laziness pays,nothing has worn out yet hehe

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

How much exercise?  Nowhere near enough. Mondays we walk with our Probus group for an hour followed by coffee(no cakes!) Usually we go for a shorter walk Tuesdays and apart from wandering around shops, housework and running up and down the stairs at home- that's it. However we are the only couple so far in our group not to need knee reconstruction or a hip replacement so I figure that sometimes laziness pays,nothing has worn out yet hehe

I pass a group of people close to the beach most mornings who are being tortured by an exercise trainer.  It doesn't look like fun but it must keep them fit.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I don’t imagine that I’m alone as a middle-aged bloater, but I’m curious as to what other posters’ exercise ‘regimes’ (terrifying word!) look like, and how they manage to fit it in?

Loads - 

5 x a week at the gym 

3 smoothies a day - whey protein , kale , spinach , frozen fruit - multivitamins , biotin , and green tea extract 

It's a no brainer 

My fitness has saved my health once or twice over the years with stress levels .

Dont worry too much about the weight , just get yourself healthy .

Over 50 - dont massively over do the exercise either - 

Swim  - walk - bike , get the heart rate up , but dont over do it - that's worse .

P.s fitness experts ( Iam  not one ) , over 50, you should exercise,  have a day off , exercise,  have a day off .

Dont over do it 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

12 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Loads - 

5 x a week at the gym 

3 smoothies a day - whey protein , kale , spinach , frozen fruit - multivitamins , biotin , and green tea extract 

It's a no brainer 

My fitness has saved my health once or twice over the years with stress levels .

Dont worry too much about the weight , just get yourself healthy .

Over 50 - dont massively over do the exercise either - 

Swim  - walk - bike , get the heart rate up , but dont over do it - that's worse .

P.s fitness experts ( Iam  not one ) , over 50, you should exercise,  have a day off , exercise,  have a day off .

Dont over do it 

I was talking to a younger bloke the other day in his 30s - he looks the part .

He trains during the week , then enjoys himself at the weekend - if that means 6 pints and a kebab ,then he does it , without any regret .

You have to look after yourself , moderate exercise, turn over the engine I call it , put good oil into the engine .

BUT , if you want 3 cakes , bloody have them .😂, if you are moderately exercising,  you will burn it off anyway 

If you are carrying a bit of excess , so what , just keep the engine moving , and take it from there 

• Like 3

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

3 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Could I just gently suggest you might want to reassess the old work life balance, work can be exhilarating and rewarding but sometimes it just creeps up and becomes an end in itself, unfortunately employers will take as much of your life as you give them and you can never get it back from them.

Been retired for a few years now, always struggled with exercising and weight, recently been struggling with a really painful back for months, a ongoing problem for years but became a real difficulty despite a good osteopath.

Anyway to cut to the denouement, about 4 months ago decided I had to get myself back to a gym after a 15 month break as it seemed to be the only option left and I have been surprised, some cardio and improving muscle tone in legs and upper body has improved things significantly, also beneficial with losing a few pounds alongside cutting down on carbs, it does take a bit of commitment, trying to do 2 hours 3 times a week, which means about 7 or 8 hours including travelling.     

• Like 1

For the last 20 odd years of my working life, a 5 minute walk to and from work. Plenty of muscle in using picks and shovels obtaining gravel samples for building roads

When the SE trade winds allow, a 1.5 km walk across a beach, through a forest, up a 5 metre rock wall to my fishing possie, with 2 rods and a 10 kg backpack. Then a return trip. Otherwise, a 1 km walk along the beach front with Mum. Been doing that for 20 years since my retirement. Then there is the garden and whipper snippering  around the house and the National Park fire boundary. And, yes, I have a ride on to mow the lawns...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

Up until I bought my new home, I was walking twenty plus miles a week, and riding my bike about four hours over the weekend.

But the house renovation has taken all my time this year. Digging a patio and reshaping the garden atm. Good exercise I have to admit. Hope to get back on the bike soon. Although the wife does like my skinny jeans. Can't wear them when I ride seriously.

Plus, I bought a fold up bike, which does save time on the commute, but isn't as much exercise than the walk. I should go back to walking to work again.

Can't be arsed with a gym. The world is my gym.

• Like 2

Getting close to sixty now and still trying despite dodgy knee (was badly dislocated in a riding accident when I was young and never really been fully stable since).  Yoga twice a week, that has been a revelation, that such “gentle” looking exercise is both hard work and great for muscle tone and strength as well as flexibility, I fully recommend it.  For cardiac I walk and really must get back on my bike soon.  I am considering getting an Orbea gain bike, not fully electric and hard to tell from looking at at but can help boost your performance. For me not looking for personal bests just that we live in the Hills and it limits my range, meaning I can’t really go out with Hubbie and keep up!

The Orbea is heavy so it is a pay off, although if I lose a few pounds that may also help...............

don’t swim too often, not a fan of pools and the sea is rather chilly here in the winter but I love to swim in the sea when I can.

• Like 2

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

I try to get "real" exercise at a gym a couple times a week and do something minor every day if I can. Even if it's just a short walk or bike ride, it definitely helps raise the mood and I sleep like a rock. I've been lucky enough to not have any nagging injuries over the years, but I still try to stick to things that won't bother my knees like biking or swimming instead of running. 

• Like 1

Not enough.  TKR slowed me down a bit, and then I had a kidney removal.  Just power walked to the coffee bar to blow some time before this afternoons medical appointment.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Could I just gently suggest you might want to reassess the old work life balance, work can be exhilarating and rewarding but sometimes it just creeps up and becomes an end in itself, unfortunately employers will take as much of your life as you give them and you can never get it back from them.

Been retired for a few years now, always struggled with exercising and weight, recently been struggling with a really painful back for months, a ongoing problem for years but became a real difficulty despite a good osteopath.

Anyway to cut to the denouement, about 4 months ago decided I had to get myself back to a gym after a 15 month break as it seemed to be the only option left and I have been surprised, some cardio and improving muscle tone in legs and upper body has improved things significantly, also beneficial with losing a few pounds alongside cutting down on carbs, it does take a bit of commitment, trying to do 2 hours 3 times a week, which means about 7 or 8 hours including travelling.     

You’re right of course. Ideally I wouldn’t have to work so hard, but I’m on the classic middle-age treadmill where you have to keep running just to standstill, lest someone younger and more energetic be found to take your place. Although I work for a not-for-profit, they increasingly mirror the private sector nowadays, demanding more and more from staff so that fatigue and burnout are endemic. It’s like that right across the social care and health sectors in Melbourne these days, so changing jobs generally means swapping like for like. I naively thought that I’d have to work less as I grew older, but instead I’m working harder and longer than I did as a newly-qualified 20-something social worker in London!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

You’re right of course. Ideally I wouldn’t have to work so hard, but I’m on the classic middle-age treadmill where you have to keep running just to standstill, lest someone younger and more energetic be found to take your place. Although I work for a not-for-profit, they increasingly mirror the private sector nowadays, demanding more and more from staff so that fatigue and burnout are endemic. It’s like that right across the social care and health sectors in Melbourne these days, so changing jobs generally means swapping like for like. I naively thought that I’d have to work less as I grew older, but instead I’m working harder and longer than I did as a newly-qualified 20-something social worker in London!

It's bloody tragic isn't it, capitalism, red in tooth and claw, it is all just a numbers game, apply the same criteria for solving the evils it creates as it does to producing the materials to keep on expanding its profit base, privatise, increase output and measure efficiency, extract ever larger profits either in kind or by cutting staffing levels and throw hands up in shock horror as scandal after scandal engulfs society because actually as you strip out the support mechanisms for the weakest in society then funnily enough society starts to fail, a la USA.

You have my sympathy, I am extremely glad I got out in the early noughties because I could envisage that I might have been involved in something like Grefell because I used to do contract management for major stock refurbs, luckily before it all became contractor led.

Really starting to wonder, here in the UK, whether SServs left if no deal happens, even if it doesn't I then 2-3 years is all we have, we have just substituted knives for guns here. 

• Like 1

I should run about 60km a week but only achieving between 40 and 50km/week due to work and laziness with refusing to get up in winter and run at 5am. City to Surf training tomorrow so looking forward to doing the 14km run to Bondi tomorrow morning. Plenty of runners in my club in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and even 80’s, all in great shape. 

• Like 1

Just turned 70 gym 3xweek including treadmill and weights of some descriptions for 1.5-2 hrs. Other 4 days walk on average 7 miles a day. Walk nearly 5 to get coffee. Weight wise I’m not as light as I could be but I’m a stress eater and caring for an increasingly frail 95 yr old is mega stress. Much much better than I was when I moved here almost 8 years ago when I was about 40kg heavier and struggled to walk a mile!

I do tighten up because I don’t stretch or roll nearly enough but go to the most amazing sports masseur who gets me loosened up every now and again. 

• Like 2

2 hours every morning run and walk because I have to with a springer, 20,000 plus  steps most days in my job.

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

On 29/06/2019 at 09:33, Quoll said:

Just turned 70 gym 3xweek including treadmill and weights of some descriptions for 1.5-2 hrs. Other 4 days walk on average 7 miles a day. Walk nearly 5 to get coffee. Weight wise I’m not as light as I could be but I’m a stress eater and caring for an increasingly frail 95 yr old is mega stress. Much much better than I was when I moved here almost 8 years ago when I was about 40kg heavier and struggled to walk a mile!

I do tighten up because I don’t stretch or roll nearly enough but go to the most amazing sports masseur who gets me loosened up every now and again. 

well done you.

• Like 1

I exercise 4 to 5 times per week.

I'm in a bootcamp style group which I do 6am before work, and also do parkrun on Saturday mornings and swim once or twice a week. Usually 1km or 1.5km.

I like the group sessions as you get to know everyone and it keeps you accountable to keep going.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

Loads until I damaged my right Patella Tendon running a marathon last year, barely managing any exercise now and my weight is slowly creeping up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MelbourneTractor said:

Loads until I damaged my right Patella Tendon running a marathon last year, barely managing any exercise now and my weight is slowly creeping up. 

I have no right to be chivvying, having just ignored things for 18 months but could you manage any upper body work,  would a sports injury physio be able to help at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I have no right to be chivvying, having just ignored things for 18 months but could you manage any upper body work,  would a sports injury physio be able to help at all.

I get so bored doing upper body stuff, I like to cycle and run! 

Been seeing a physio, not much they can do really. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MelbourneTractor said:

I get so bored doing upper body stuff, I like to cycle and run! 

Been seeing a physio, not much they can do really. 

Have you thought about an electric bike? Might take the pressure off that side? I know a guy with an arthritic hip that gets on well with an electric.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parley said:

I'm in a bootcamp style group which I do 6am before work, and also do parkrun on Saturday mornings and swim once or twice a week. Usually 1km or 1.5km.

I like the group sessions as you get to know everyone and it keeps you accountable to keep going.

training in a group is good, it keeps you going to the max.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Parley said:

That's hugely impressive Parley, an immense commitment. Even if I had the energy levels, I'd never be able to devote that amount of time to it as family commitments wouldn't allow it. I reckon exercising as a group is the way forward, but as a Billy-no-mates here any exercise I do manage is very much on my own. 😀