Funds required for migration

HollyS

Hello everyone 

i was was just wondering for those that have had their visas granted or are already on Australia, did you have to have ‘show money’? I see a lot of conflicting info online about this, I believe it varies state to state. 

Kind regards

Holly  

It depends on e visa. For some state sponsored visas, a state can ask as part of sponsorship that you show you have sufficient funds.

Will just say, you will be amazed how much it costs. The visa fees are the tiny drop in the ocean. For a family, you should be looking at having at least 30k behind you after visas. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, HollyS said:

Hello everyone 

i was was just wondering for those that have had their visas granted or are already on Australia, did you have to have ‘show money’? I see a lot of conflicting info online about this, I believe it varies state to state. 

Kind regards

Holly  

It will depend on the visa you are applying for. From reading posts on this forum some migrants arrive with very little (one family had around 1000gbp) and some have a nice nest egg behind them, the more you can bring the better as less stress whilst you get up and going.

Cal x

44 minutes ago, calNgary said:

It will depend on the visa you are applying for. From reading posts on this forum some migrants arrive with very little (one family had around 1000gbp) and some have a nice nest egg behind them, the more you can bring the better as less stress whilst you get up and going.

Cal x

Just to note, if you don't have a job to go to, the current advice is to assume it will take six months to find work and to have enough savings to keep you going for that length of time.    Finding a job in Australia is, if anything, slightly more difficult than finding work in the UK these days as unemployment rates are much the same and you will be an "incomer" with no "Aussie experience". 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

It depends on e visa. For some state sponsored visas, a state can ask as part of sponsorship that you show you have sufficient funds.

Will just say, you will be amazed how much it costs. The visa fees are the tiny drop in the ocean. For a family, you should be looking at having at least 30k behind you after visas. 

Don't agree. My employer payed for flights, temp accommodation and shipping of goods and insurances.

My partner visa of $7000 odd was way over 50% of our costs to move

26 minutes ago, can1983 said:

Don't agree. My employer payed for flights, temp accommodation and shipping of goods and insurances.

Yes, but the majority of permanent migrants don't have a job to go to, and hence they have to pay all those costs themselves, plus support themselves until they find work.

Most people who get employer sponsorships are arriving on temp visas like teh 482, and the pathway to PR from there is becoming more and more precarious. 

Anyway, I think the OP was talking about state-sponsored visas, where some states insist on you having "sufficient funds" and some don't.

Edited by Marisawright

42 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, but the majority of permanent migrants don't have a job to go to, and hence they have to pay all those costs themselves, plus support themselves until they find work.

Most people who get employer sponsorships are arriving on temp visas like teh 482, and the pathway to PR from there is becoming more and more precarious. 

Anyway, I think the OP was talking about state-sponsored visas, where some states insist on you having "sufficient funds" and some don't.

sure, I just don't agree $7000 is a drop in the ocean I found it a shockingly high fee

15 minutes ago, can1983 said:

sure, I just don't agree $7000 is a drop in the ocean I found it a shockingly high fee

It is high but just try adding up the other costs:  air fares, temp accommodation, shipping costs (or totally refitting your whole house when you arrive), holiday flat for 4 weeks, rental bond, buying a car (more expensive in Oz) plus registration and insurance, school stuff for kids, surviving while you look for a job.   VeryStormy was referring to the comparison.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, can1983 said:

For the majority of visas, such as a 189, the visa fee is about half that. 

By far and away the biggest cost the majority of migrants face is living costs until they find a job. We have on the forum always strongly recommended people budget a bare minimum of 3 months and ideally 6 months. So that means having dough money to pay for initial temp accommodation. A bond and then rent for six months. Six months bills, food, buying and running a car and everything else that we spend. Through into this that on arrival you leach money like a tap. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, can1983 said:

You have to know you are in a minority.  The visa is a lot of money, the point being made is if you think that is the wrost of it you are most likely wrong.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You have to know you are in a minority.  The visa is a lot of money, the point being made is if you think that is the wrost of it you are most likely wrong.

It seems so. Im amazed so many people invest so much its a big cost. Ive done it twice and had a job lined both times 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HollyS said:

Hello everyone 

Kind regards

Holly  

It's the visa you are targeting at. It is just to see whether you have enough money to support yourself in the country. 

On 23/06/2019 at 15:08, HollyS said:

Hello everyone 

Kind regards

Holly  

Hi Holly

Did my EOI for SA at the start of the year and they only asked how much I was planning on taking, and I didn't have to prove it.

Maybe if your from a poorer country you will be asked to prove it.

Thank you everyone for your helpful info it is greatly appreciated, as we are only just looking into this it’s seems like a bit of a minefield at the moment! 

Lavers have you just migrated? 

I wonder if you wouldn’t mind briefly sharing your story with me? We’d be looking at the 190 visa 

many thanks everyone it’s great to hear from people who have been through all this. 

20 hours ago, can1983 said:

Not all employers are offering relocation packages now.  I know my authority (health) no longer offer anything at all or sponsorship. 

6 hours ago, HollyS said:

Thank you everyone for your helpful info it is greatly appreciated, as we are only just looking into this it’s seems like a bit of a minefield at the moment! 

Lavers have you just migrated? 

I wonder if you wouldn’t mind briefly sharing your story with me? We’d be looking at the 190 visa 

many thanks everyone it’s great to hear from people who have been through all this. 

I think the question you need to an yourself is, why do you want to emigrate? Years ago, Australia had cheap housing, good salaries and plenty of work. Now housing is very expensive, wages have been stagnant for years and unemployment is about the same as the UK.  Home and Away is filmed in an area where the houses cost several million dollars each, so most of the characters couldn’t afford to live there in real life.

I like living in Australia but there are pluses and minuses in both countries, I wouldn’t say Australia is “better”. So, considering it will cost you a big chunk of your savings, you need to be sure your reasons are good and your expectations are realistic 

How old are you? Could you get a working holiday visa to try it out?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2