simmo

How is Boris Doing So Far?

13 hours ago, s713 said:

There are an awful lot of food businesses in our area that are pledging to open their doors and provide free meals for children in the school holidays, great to see.

Just been reading about some on Wirral is this your area ? 

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Just been reading about some on Wirral is this your area ? 

No. Thankfully, it's happening all over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peach said:

image.png.33d59e7dd5417c277c9b25af5c4c11d5.png

I thought it was April Fools when I read this earlier. I've quite literally heard it all now. Can't wait to hear the defenders of this 'policy decision' 

Everything has a price. Even the protection of life. 

• Like 2

Not sure why anyone bothers with disposable masks unless required to by the nature of their job.

I bought a 5 pack of cloth masks months ago and just wear one for a week usually and then it goes in the washing machine.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

43 minutes ago, Parley said:

Not sure why anyone bothers with disposable masks unless required to by the nature of their job.

I bought a 5 pack of cloth masks months ago and just wear one for a week usually and then it goes in the washing machine.

I agree the cloth ones are easy to use and more comfortable but you need to wash th in hot water and soap after every wearing 

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 hours ago, Parley said:

and just wear one for a week

May as well not bother then.

6 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I thought it was April Fools when I read this earlier. I've quite literally heard it all now. Can't wait to hear the defenders of this 'policy decision' 

Everything has a price. Even the protection of life. 

Did/do you moan about the suppliers hiking their profit margins?  

You do understand that furlough and all the other grants cost money. The government don't just peel £20s off thier arses?  It all needs to be paid for.

15 minutes ago, simmo said:

You do understand that furlough and all the other grants cost money. The government don't just peel £20s off thier arses?  It all needs to be paid for.

Maybe if the government had not made the mistakes of:

The Government could face further legal challenges after it awarded a £252.5m personal protective equipment (PPE) contract to a private equity and currency trading company owned through an offshore holding firm based in the tax haven of Mauritius.

or

The Government has awarded an £108 million contract for the supply of PPE to a wholesaler of sweets. The enormous contract was awarded to the confectionery business seemingly without any advertising or competitive tendering process. 

The government has backtracked on official documents showing that it awarded a family-run firm £108m to procure personal protective equipment (PPE), saying it reported the sum “in error”.

They wouldn't have to tax the vulnerable trying to protect themselves?

Edited by Peach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, simmo said:

Surely it's a case of applying discretion to what attracts VAT and what doesn't? It is an essential item, a NEED not a want. Not a luxury. 

As for suppliers hiking margins on such things, profiteering around health never ends well for the patient or health consumer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peach said:

Maybe if the government had not made the mistakes of:

or

They wouldn't have to tax the vulnerable trying to protect themselves?

Have you companied to the suppliers?

3 minutes ago, simmo said:

Have you companied to the suppliers?

No why would I?  Merely pointing out the hypocrisy of a government that is happy to piss hundreds of millions up the wall in contracts for its mates and tax the people harder to pay for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Peach said:

No why would I?  Merely pointing out the hypocrisy of a government that is happy to piss hundreds of millions up the wall in contracts for its mates and tax the people harder to pay for it.

And in-house procurement is more cost effective?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, simmo said:

Not for me to say.  All I know is deeming personal protective equipment a luxury item and therefore subject to VAT is supremely c*&tish.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, simmo said:

No but you award the contract to a company with a proven track record 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

49 minutes ago, simmo said:

Some economists would argue that they can, and indeed do just conjure notes from nowhere when needed

:evilface_frowning_s

6 hours ago, Peach said:

Hypocrisy indeed 🤔

6 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Some economists would argue that they can, and indeed do just conjure notes from nowhere when needed

Heard of QE or the magic money tree when it comes to appointing your mates or those consultantx you want a job with when you can no longer suck on the public teat

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, simmo said:

Hypocrisy indeed 🤔

Not just hypocritical,  this is a govt that is establishing itself as self serving and will lie about anything to stay in office, just like Trump,  where  is the country that led the world, in the gutter!

18 hours ago, simmo said:

The government don't just peel £20s off thier arses? 

What makes you think that despite all you have seen in the news?

I know you're not big into facts but have a listen to this regarding the government chucking money about:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Heard of QE or the magic money tree when it comes to appointing your mates or those consultantx you want a job with when you can no longer suck on the public teat

Indeed, that is partly what I was referring to. The con of QE whereby the treasury sets up a new company to enable it to loan money to itself, then creates the money out of thin air at a keystroke to provide that loan. The treasury then owns both the debt and the asset, paying interest to itself and generating billions of GBP for “free”.

The government then makes the political decision to tell the electorate that a huge debt has been acquired and services will have to be cut for a generation, even though the balance sheet for the treasury has effectively stayed the same.

The above is obviously an oversimplification of the process but is a reminder that control over your own central bank is essential to the health of a country in my personal view (ie staying out of the euro was a wise decision, even thought I’m strongly in favour of EU membership). Modern Monetary Theory touches on this idea somewhat.

• Congratulations 1

:evilface_frowning_s

Waking to the news of the latest u turn in Bojos circus of clowns. 

Feeling saddened and dismayed for you lot living in this mess. Particularly my family and friends who've all stuck to the guidance for the best part of 8 months.

Anyone still defending this Conservative govt management of this crisis are either woefully in denial/ la la land style or has cotton wool between the ears. This is criminally negligent stuff. They've effed it up BIG TIME on a grand and calamitous scale. Johnson and his cabinet MUST go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, get Corbyn in now, oh wait, Labour can't even run themselves, let alone the country 😂

Edited by amibovered
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

18 minutes ago, amibovered said:

Yeah, get Corbyn in now, oh wait, Labour can't even run themselves, let alone the country 😂

Could they manage a bath 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Saw that the UK is in for a month of lockdown but starting on Thursday.  Why don't they start immediately? One month will not be enough of course but perhaps  it will slow down a bit.

• Like 3