register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Boris Doing So Far?

9 hours ago, ssiri said:

They will most certainly give it a good go.

The nationalists will.

On 15/12/2019 at 19:48, BacktoDemocracy said:

Yep, but sometimes those on the outside see the errors clearly, just saying.

Two appendages are often a hindrance

Yeah, people would have been stating similar commentary had your anti-Brexit brigade been victorious.

No matter how much you try and spin it, you lost. Wallow in your pity, accept it and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Hasn't a 2nd referendum on Scottish independence been ruled out already ?

Bit like Brexit, the independence referendum was always said to be decided for a generation so very early to try and rerun it again after only 5 years or so.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

On 18/12/2019 at 00:01, Canada2Australia said:

Yeah, people would have been stating similar commentary had your anti-Brexit brigade been victorious.

No matter how much you try and spin it, you lost. Wallow in your pity, accept it and move on.

Canada 2 australia? what made you do it

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Chalk and Cheese- Doris and Jeremy.  What would they have to discuss, really?

On 23/06/2019 at 07:08, simmo said:

Just parking this here for when BoJo makes Britain great again.

• Like 2

On 18/12/2019 at 08:29, Parley said:

Hasn't a 2nd referendum on Scottish independence been ruled out already ?

Bit like Brexit, the independence referendum was always said to be decided for a generation so very early to try and rerun it again after only 5 years or so.

This once in a generation notion was political off the cuff remarks and is not a feature of the Edinburgh agreement, nor indeed the Smith commission following the 2014 referendum. Mr Johnson himself said recently the UK election was once in a generation opportunity (similar words to Mr Salmond in 2014), but nobody is suggesting a general election won't follow in 5 years. In any event, the Belfast Agreement defines a political generation as 7 years.

It's now almost impossible to Plan and prepare for a referendum in 2020 (even if Mr Johnson was agreeing to a section 30 order, which he currently is not). So the earliest reasonable timeframe to pass the necessary legislation for a second referendum would be 2021, seven years since the last one in 2014.

Given the Scottish electorate has voted in large majorities for parties with a second independence referendum In their manifesto, given the Scottish Parliament (not just the SNP, but a majority in the Scottish Parliament) voted to seek a second referendum, and given the UK recognises 7 years as a political generation, democratic principles demand that the electorate get what they have voted for.

It's also worth noting that it isn't viewed in Scotland as a rerun, Scotland voted to remain in the UK on promises of increased devolution and remaining in the EU. Since that time Scotland has voted to remain in the EU by a larger majority but is leaving the EU nonetheless. Remaining in the UK and the EU are no longer compatible and the electorate should have a say on which union it favours at this time. Whether Scotland would want to remain in the UK or not is unclear, but the right to decide should not be in question.

:evilface_frowning_s

7 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

This once in a generation notion was political off the cuff remarks and is not a feature of the Edinburgh agreement, nor indeed the Smith commission following the 2014 referendum. Mr Johnson himself said recently the UK election was once in a generation opportunity (similar words to Mr Salmond in 2014), but nobody is suggesting a general election won't follow in 5 years. In any event, the Belfast Agreement defines a political generation as 7 years.

It's now almost impossible to Plan and prepare for a referendum in 2020 (even if Mr Johnson was agreeing to a section 30 order, which he currently is not). So the earliest reasonable timeframe to pass the necessary legislation for a second referendum would be 2021, seven years since the last one in 2014.

Given the Scottish electorate has voted in large majorities for parties with a second independence referendum In their manifesto, given the Scottish Parliament (not just the SNP, but a majority in the Scottish Parliament) voted to seek a second referendum, and given the UK recognises 7 years as a political generation, democratic principles demand that the electorate get what they have voted for.

It's also worth noting that it isn't viewed in Scotland as a rerun, Scotland voted to remain in the UK on promises of increased devolution and remaining in the EU. Since that time Scotland has voted to remain in the EU by a larger majority but is leaving the EU nonetheless. Remaining in the UK and the EU are no longer compatible and the electorate should have a say on which union it favours at this time. Whether Scotland would want to remain in the UK or not is unclear, but the right to decide should not be in question.

I understand your commitment, and I sympathize with the undemocratic hand Scotland has been dealt, but I think you would be foolish to have an indyref2 any time soon.

The polls are very close, and their is certainly no guarantee of a leave vote.

If I was Scottish I would sit tight and see how Brexit goes. If the advantages are centred in the south with a boost for the southern service industry with the USA, and the north is disregarded as I suspect, then the margin to leave will only increase.

Keep your powder dry would be my advice.

• Like 2

Please give Scotland a vote, no one in the rest of the UK cares one jot if they leave or stay to be honest but they should have a vote to clear this constant whinging up. 

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Well Boris has reached page 10 of 'The Dummies Guide to Becoming a Fascist dictator' he appointed Cumings as his Goebbels Propaganda Minister hidden away in a backroom and then jumped a few pages to excluding the press from reporting on your Government's actions, always a favourite of every would be dictator

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/03/political-journalists-boycott-no-10-briefing-after-reporter-ban

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, simmo said:

5 billion for bus services that have been slashed by more than 60% since privatisation by the Tories in 1985 and now impossible to rescue as the majority of the network is broken up and is in private hands, so the govt is once again subsidising the private sector which has failed as they have on the railways.

What a way to run a country!!!

DD is an arch proponent of the free market, you couldn't make it up,  a complete muppet.

• Haha 1

On 27/06/2019 at 09:36, BacktoDemocracy said:

It's free speech and exercising their democratic rights, don't like it, complain to your MP!

Ok

Bet a lot of people are glad to see the back of this chappie.

Downing Street has said its adviser Andrew Sabisky has resigned following criticism of alleged past remarks on pregnancies, eugenics and race.

Tory MP William Wragg also attacked the government's decision to appoint him, tweeting: "Andrew Sabisky's presence in No 10 is a poor reflection on the government  ... 'Weirdos' and 'misfits' are all very well but please can they not gratuitously cause offence."

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

Bet a lot of people are glad to see the back of this chappie.
Downing Street has said its adviser Andrew Sabisky has resigned following criticism of alleged past remarks on pregnancies, eugenics and race.
Tory MP William Wragg also attacked the government's decision to appoint him, tweeting: "Andrew Sabisky's presence in No 10 is a poor reflection on the government  ... 'Weirdos' and 'misfits' are all very well but please can they not gratuitously cause offence."

I’m sure someone will come along soon enough and say why none of it was offensive, and instead should probably be legitimately considered for Govt policy or some such..

Good news for you lot.

The silly BBC licence fee will be axed soon.

Anyone who wants to watch BBC will have to subscribe ala netflix.

I want it all, and I want it now.

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Good news for you lot.

The silly BBC licence fee will be axed soon.

Anyone who wants to watch BBC will have to subscribe ala netflix.

That’s good if true. That’s £12 a month saved then. 

Less than 3 months after the election and its coming unstuck, cue manic laughter, Boris is cuddling up close to Herr Cummings, not chancing going anywhere  close to the flooded areas and chancing being booed, what a lazy toad, Herr Cummings employing fascist racists in his own image.

So much for getting the country back, the EU must be rocked back on their heels as they see the performance a country served up ready for the  oven.

Doesn't bode well does it, Chancellor gone, his own party critical, 10 years of Tory austerity now showing how just how weakened the country is.

I don't think Boris is going down very well, people are going to start questioning  Ministers whose only answer to every debacle,  from NHS baby deaths and catastrophic floods, is to keep on parroting about how much money is being spent when its obvious to ayones eyes that it is failing to solve anything.

Just 'How is Boris doing'?

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

That’s good if true. That’s £12 a month saved then. 

You do know it's not compulsory right?

You don't have to pay it if you don't use the service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You do know it's not compulsory right?
You don't have to pay it if you don't use the service.

By that I presume you mean don’t own a tv or iPad type device? Last I was there you have those devices you get a letter from be tv license guys. So is there some opt out option now, even if you have a telly/devices?