870 parents temporary visa

What it means is that there will be absolutely no contact at all from immi until you reach the top of the queue for your application.date. I applied June 2017 and I’m not  expecting any contact at all until 2022/23 at the  very earliest!! 

The first contact will be to ask for further details Form 80 etc, police clearances , Medicals etc. Then you start the AOS process which takes many months, 6 or more. until finally you get a visa hopefully! So for 2019 application (based on current expectations) there would potentially be no contact at all from immi until at least 2027 and possibly even longer. 

To renew the 870 you have to leave Australia for 90 days. If at the end of the 2nd five years you still don’t have the visa  you would be back to getting temporary visitor visas. 

Its best to be realistic because immi don’t give enough information out so people  have unrealistic views of wait times. 870 visas were introduced solely because the govt realised that wait times had blown out  but made it so that  870 holders have no claim for financial or medical help - you have to be entirely self supporting and cannot use Medicare so need very good private health cover. 

Yes it’s better than NZ who suspended their parent  visa program - but there’s always the fear that Australia could do something similar. It has in fact made retrospective changes to visas  in the past so none of us knows what will happen in the future. There are currently 99 visas and there have been Govt investigations into changing that to just 10 visas - apparently we should hear before the end of the year but don’t hold your breath ! 

• Like 1

With the renew part of the 870, one can renew it to stay for a cumulative maximum 10 year period. To do that one can get 5 years visa costing $10000 twice so total cost $20000 for 10 years. Now if someone applies for the 3 years 870 ($5000) they can only renew it for a maximum of 9 years (total cost $15000)  i.e. 3 times 3 years visa OR 8 years with a second renewal of 5 years (cost $15000 again). So to gain an extra 1 year by going for 5 year twice they are paying $5000 more 😉 

Of course if that is what any individual's circumstance allows, going away for 90 days in 3 years as oppose to in 5 years and also if the system doesn't change in the next 3-5 years when one is due to renew.

Edited by Anks
  • Thanks 1

Don’t forget too that in order to renew the 870 visa you have to leave Australia for 90 days so 3 months out of Australia. If you have sold up at home you have to find somewhere to live whilst waiting to go back in. Also processing times appear to be 3 months or more  so possibly could  be out of Australia for longer maybe? It’s a new visa and we will  have to see how it works in practice eg is it an automatic renewal or do they look again at your health and finances etc?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

Don’t forget too that in order to renew the 870 visa you have to leave Australia for 90 days so 3 months out of Australia. If you have sold up at home you have to find somewhere to live whilst waiting to go back in. Also processing times appear to be 3 months or more  so possibly could  be out of Australia for longer maybe? It’s a new visa and we will  have to see how it works in practice eg is it an automatic renewal or do they look again at your health and finances etc?

Yep, that's a real worry for me as I have no idea where my Mum would go for that time. I just hope that her 143 is processed before her 5 year 870 expires. 143 applied June 2017, so I'm thinking it will be pretty tight, but this was the only option for her other than bringing her here then swapping to the onshore CPV and going back to the beginning of the queue again. We just have to hope for the best.

It would have been worse swopping  to onshore CPV and starting the queue again! The days of 864 being  processed more quickly than 143 have now gone. 

I too am a June  2017 applicant and will be discussing 870 with my daughter when I go over in December for a visit. 

I applied for my mum in July 2017 so not far off from both you which is already 27 months. And the processing of 870 is also going out of control when one thought that it would be an easy and quicker way to come and stay for long. I have recently applied for the 870 sponsorship and it was 4 months then it quickly its gone to 5 months and then the actual application for 62 days ie another 2 months so in total at least 7 months before we get 870. So according to these timelines would be thinking that the 3 years 870 might just be the one but who knows that the 143's 50 months can change. 

On 16/10/2019 at 09:48, Sarishco said:

My parents have been granted 870 visa. Thanks everyone for sharing information.

Timeline:

Sponsorship - 27/June Application submitted - 14/Aug more information requested - 25/Sep Sponsorship Approval

870 Visa- 25/Sep Application submitted, medical requested - 7/Oct second payment and health insurance requested - 9/Oct visa granted

Hi there, 

Just checking if you have submitted the Form 80 along with Police clearence and other documents...?

regards

Naj

On 16/10/2019 at 09:48, Sarishco said:

My parents have been granted 870 visa. Thanks everyone for sharing information.

Timeline:

Sponsorship - 27/June Application submitted - 14/Aug more information requested - 25/Sep Sponsorship Approval

870 Visa- 25/Sep Application submitted, medical requested - 7/Oct second payment and health insurance requested - 9/Oct visa granted

Hi there, 

Just checking if you have submitted the Form 80 along with Police clearence and other documents...?

regards

Naj

On 28/10/2019 at 16:25, PrettyIsotonic said:

Just updating a timeline in case useful to anyone:

Sponsorship application - 11 June 2019

Sponsorship approval - 5 August 2019

870 lodged - 8 September 2019

CO contact for biometrics - 8 September 2019

CO contact for health checkup and police clearances - 18 September 2019

Grant - 28 October 2019.

Previously a 3 year tourist visa was used (12 months stay, 6 months offshore within 18 month period) which has now been replaced, and a 143 visa (contributory parent) is currently processing in the background, that was lodged ~6 months before the 870.

Hi there, 

regards

Naj

23 hours ago, Najma said:

Hi there, 

regards

Naj

Hi Najma - yes Form 80 was front loaded, the relevant police clearances were submitted once requested by the CO but I don't see why one could not front load those too.  

@VictoriaP thanks for sharing your timeline... did the DHA gave you a reason to reject your sponsorship application the first time??

And I see that you are just one month ahead of my 143 application and you applied to the 5 year 870, you reckon it will be another 5 years before you get a CO call for the 143?

1 hour ago, Anks said:

@VictoriaP thanks for sharing your timeline... did the DHA gave you a reason to reject your sponsorship application the first time??

And I see that you are just one month ahead of my 143 application and you applied to the 5 year 870, you reckon it will be another 5 years before you get a CO call for the 143?

The first rejection was my fault as my taxable income (due to salary packaging) was just below the minimum requirement. 

I really don't think a 3 year 870 will be anywhere near long enough. Even if we get a CO in 3 years from now, we can all see how long it actually takes for approval from that point. End of 2015 applicants are only just being processed now and the processing times are only going to get longer.

If we applied for the 3 year and then looked at extending, I don't have any family outside Australia that my Mum could live with for the approx 6 months it would take to apply/be approved for a further 870, so that wasn't an option. To be honest, I'm worried that the 143 approval will take even longer than the time we have until this 5 year 870 expires. Immigration move the goalposts constantly so nothing is certain, but we will have to deal with that if and when it happens. 

• Like 1

Thanks @VictoriaP, I hear you regarding the way too long wait for the 143 and the dilemma and hassle if 3 years isn't going to cover the stay and wait for 143. I am still waiting for the sponsorship and maybe then will need to decide if I go for 3 or 5 years. Is there anything that you can suggest I can do while I'm waiting for the sponsorship to be approved so that I can save some time e.g. any forms or documents that I can start filling or gathering?

Edited by Anks

Hi All,

One of the documents to be provided for the application for 870 is the AFP NPC. Does anyone know what documents can we provide for a 100 points check for the AFP NPC if the applicant is non-Australian apart from the foreign passportimage.png.456d7a74b2d74c9bdbb060924d4cdfb5.png

1 hour ago, Anks said:

Hi All,

One of the documents to be provided for the application for 870 is the AFP NPC. Does anyone know what documents can we provide for a 100 points check for the AFP NPC if the applicant is non-Australian apart from the foreign passport

Birth certificate + Bank statements? 

If you still can't cobble together 100 points of ID, the AFP FAQ says:

I am unable to meet the identification requirements to make an application, what should I do?

If you are unable to meet the identity requirements, you should contact us and depending on your circumstances we may be able to assist.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PrettyIsotonic said:

Birth certificate + Bank statements? 

If you still can't cobble together 100 points of ID, the AFP FAQ says:

I am unable to meet the identification requirements to make an application, what should I do?

If you are unable to meet the identity requirements, you should contact us and depending on your circumstances we may be able to assist.

Thanks @PrettyIsotonic

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy New year all,

I have few queries regarding Form 80 for the applicant of 870 and was hoping if someone can assist. 

Question 17 - Address history for last 10 years, do we need to mention about Hotel accommodations for outside Australia as well for Holiday/Leisure trips? 

Question 21 - if the answer to this is No, do we still need to fill in questions 25-29

Question 24 - Are you applying for a temporary visa, I am unsure about this one as 870 is a temporary visa and the departure date section is unclear. What date do we need to put in here? Should I forecast a date in future eg 5 years later or something if I am applying for 5 year 870 visa. 

Any help is appreciated 🙂 

Edited by Anks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I thought i'd share my experience and timelines as i found many of the posts useful when i was super anxious whilst waiting for the grant.

Applied for sponsorship 20 Sep 2019

s56 Request for info came through for a new police check of myself 17 October 2019

Approval of sponsorship notification 25 November 2019

--------

Application submitted for temporary parent visa 12 Dec 2019

Acknowledgement and Biometrics request 12 Dec 2019

s56 Request for info came through for Polio Vaccine and Immigration Health Exams 23 Dec 2019

Completed Biometrics and health exams in that week and got the health examination status as complete but submitted for further assessment

s56 Request for info came through on 02 Jan 2020 for a report from father's doctor and submitted that on 6 Jan 2020

Request for 2nd VAC (Visa application charge) and Evidence of Health Insurance requested on 16 Jan and i submitted same day

Visa Granted same day soon after we paid for the 2nd VAc and provided evidence of Health Insurance on 16 Jan 2020. 

----

The TPVS - temporary visa for parent section team are very supportive and responsive. Best wishes to all those on the forum who would like their parents to visit them. I am so grateful.

• Like 1

Just now, SN Victoria said:

Hi all,

I thought i'd share my experience and timelines as i found many of the posts useful when i was super anxious whilst waiting for the grant.

Applied for sponsorship 20 Sep 2019

s56 Request for info came through for a new police check of myself 17 October 2019

Approval of sponsorship notification 25 November 2019

--------

Application submitted for temporary parent visa 12 Dec 2019

Acknowledgement and Biometrics request 12 Dec 2019

s56 Request for info came through for Polio Vaccine and Immigration Health Exams 23 Dec 2019

Completed Biometrics and health exams in that week and got the health examination status as complete but submitted for further assessment

s56 Request for info came through on 02 Jan 2020 for a report from father's doctor and submitted that on 6 Jan 2020

Request for 2nd VAC (Visa application charge) and Evidence of Health Insurance requested on 16 Jan and i submitted same day

Visa Granted same day soon after we paid for the 2nd VAc and provided evidence of Health Insurance on 16 Jan 2020. 

----

The TPVS - temporary visa for parent section team are very supportive and responsive. Best wishes to all those on the forum who would like their parents to visit them. I am so grateful.

P.s. Previously 2 family visit visas were rejected because we did not provide enough evidence i believe. 

• 1 month later...

Dears,

We are the stage when Home Affairs requested us to pay the 2nd VAC and arrange evidence of health cover.

How should we approach evidence of health insurance arrangements?

We are unsure of when exactly our parents will be moving to Australia on their 5y visa. It can be anytime over the next 3 to 6 months from now.

Do we need to start paying monthly fees to the insurance company from the day we arrange for evidence? Or are there any options, something like preliminary contract for cover, which would kick in once our parents relocate - and be satisfactory to Home Affairs to grant the visas?

Many thanks.   

Dear all

I am a newbie here.

I want to apply for the 870 visa for my parents and have the below questions -

1. For the taxation summary - if i apply for sponsorship in March 2020, I need to submit the taxation summary for the financial year ending June 2019 - is this correct?

The reason I ask is I am overseas at the moment and will be out of Australia for upto a year on an overseas salary package that will not meet the minimum salary threshold. However up until January I have been employed in Australia for 5 years meeting the salary threshold. Please advise if this still makes me eligible?

2. For the AFP police clearance certificate - they ask for a "full disclosure certificate" - is this just the standard police clearance or do I need to apply for the one where fingerprints need to be submitted to the AFP as well?

Thank you!