870 parents temporary visa

@Alan Collett Hi Alan, I've submitted the 870 visa application for my mum on 1st July then requested for Health undertaking Form 815 on 10th Aug and we uploaded to IMMI on 12th Aug, then no more updates till now. On immigration web site shows 90% of applications: 46 days, but I been waiting for more than 100 days already, I've tried to call and email but it doesn't help at all. Can you give me some advice that is there anything i can do to chase them? Thank you. 

On 10/10/2019 at 13:48, Kazza2019 said:

@Alan Collett Hi Alan, I've submitted the 870 visa application for my mum on 1st July then requested for Health undertaking Form 815 on 10th Aug and we uploaded to IMMI on 12th Aug, then no more updates till now. On immigration web site shows 90% of applications: 46 days, but I been waiting for more than 100 days already, I've tried to call and email but it doesn't help at all. Can you give me some advice that is there anything i can do to chase them? Thank you. 

I'm unfortunately unable to assist - I can make enquiry of the PVC on behalf of clients, but not for those who aren't.

I hope you hear something positive soon.

Best regards.

Trying to clear up some confusion on my side.

My Mom in law is in the queue for a 143  (applied Dec 2016) and we are looking into the 870 visa to see if it is an option to bring her across sooner while waiting for the processing on the 143. We have already been approved as sponsors so would just need to start the 870 paperwork if it is an option.

Can anyone clarify or confirm that if we apply for the 870 it will not impact the 143 visa application?

There were a couple of articles which made me nervous about if the 870 visa was granted it would cancel the 143 which is pending 

https://www.australiavisa.com/immigration-news/the-870-visa-trap-given-with-one-hand-and-taken-away-with-the-other/

https://onederland.com.au/new-temporary-parent-visa-870/

As long as the 143 was applied prior to the 870 then you are fine and in your case its definitely the case so you are fine. 

See this article - https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/long-stay-parent-visa-explained-all-you-need-for-the-sponsored-parent-visa

Can parents who have already applied for a permanent parent visa also apply for the Sponsored Parent visa (subclass 870)?

Edited by Anks

3 hours ago, Anks said:

As long as the 143 was applied prior to the 870 then you are fine and in your case its definitely the case so you are fine. 

See this article - https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/long-stay-parent-visa-explained-all-you-need-for-the-sponsored-parent-visa

Can parents who have already applied for a permanent parent visa also apply for the Sponsored Parent visa (subclass 870)?

6 hours ago, Brigid Saoz said:

Trying to clear up some confusion on my side.

My Mom in law is in the queue for a 143  (applied Dec 2016) and we are looking into the 870 visa to see if it is an option to bring her across sooner while waiting for the processing on the 143. We have already been approved as sponsors so would just need to start the 870 paperwork if it is an option.

Can anyone clarify or confirm that if we apply for the 870 it will not impact the 143 visa application?

There were a couple of articles which made me nervous about if the 870 visa was granted it would cancel the 143 which is pending 

https://www.australiavisa.com/immigration-news/the-870-visa-trap-given-with-one-hand-and-taken-away-with-the-other/

https://onederland.com.au/new-temporary-parent-visa-870/

There is a time of visa application requirement for the 143 visa where the applicant is applying from offshore such that the visa applicant cannot (broadly) be the holder of a subclass 870 visa.

This is what the Regulations say in this regard:

The applicant:

(i)  does not hold a Subclass 870 (Sponsored Parent (Temporary)) visa; and

(ii)  if the applicant held such a visa—has left Australia since that visa ceased to be in effect.

Please note that the problem arises if the 870 visa has been granted - not if an application has been lodged that is still awaiting a decision.

As ever, if you are unsure of what is required you should be discussing strategy with an experienced migration/visa professional.

Best regards.

My parents have been granted 870 visa. Thanks everyone for sharing information.

Timeline:

Sponsorship - 27/June Application submitted - 14/Aug more information requested - 25/Sep Sponsorship Approval

870 Visa- 25/Sep Application submitted, medical requested - 7/Oct second payment and health insurance requested - 9/Oct visa granted

• Congratulations 3

4 hours ago, Sarishco said:

My parents have been granted 870 visa. Thanks everyone for sharing information.

Timeline:

Sponsorship - 27/June Application submitted - 14/Aug more information requested - 25/Sep Sponsorship Approval

870 Visa- 25/Sep Application submitted, medical requested - 7/Oct second payment and health insurance requested - 9/Oct visa granted

Congratulations.

My application submitted on 1st July and still not approved, don't know why is immigration holding it.😣

On 16/10/2019 at 14:01, Kazza2019 said:

Congratulations.

My application submitted on 1st July and still not approved, don't know why is immigration holding it.😣

The Immi website now states 4 months for the sponsorship application 

Processing times

• 75% of applications: 4 months
  • 90% of applications: 4 months

28 minutes ago, Anks said:

The Immi website now states 4 months for the sponsorship application 

Processing times

• 75% of applications: 4 months
  • 90% of applications: 4 months

Not the sponsorship, I got the sponsorship approval in early June and submitted the actual 870 visa on 1st July which 90% cases should completed in 46 days, but I still have not received any correspondence yet.

17 hours ago, Kazza2019 said:

Not the sponsorship, I got the sponsorship approval in early June and submitted the actual 870 visa on 1st July which 90% cases should completed in 46 days, but I still have not received any correspondence yet.

Have your parents done their medical examinations? On your immiaccount it should say medical is finalised.

32 minutes ago, Anks said:

Have you called them?

this post has a phone number try calling them if you haven't thus far..maybe they can advise the hold up

Yes I had call the 131881 number four times, first two agents just to me to wait, other two were really kind and told me that they will leave a note on my case, it was two weeks ago but still no response yet.

43 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Dears,

Does 870 Sponsorship requirement of 4 years permanent residence cover only the main sponsor (applicant) or also sponsor's spouse if we rely on both incomes to qualify for minimum taxable income?

You really are determined not to appoint an agent aren't you ... 😉

Onwards!

Just updating a timeline in case useful to anyone:

Sponsorship application - 11 June 2019

Sponsorship approval - 5 August 2019

870 lodged - 8 September 2019

CO contact for biometrics - 8 September 2019

CO contact for health checkup and police clearances - 18 September 2019

Grant - 28 October 2019.

Previously a 3 year tourist visa was used (12 months stay, 6 months offshore within 18 month period) which has now been replaced, and a 143 visa (contributory parent) is currently processing in the background, that was lodged ~6 months before the 870.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, PrettyIsotonic said:

Just updating a timeline in case useful to anyone:

Sponsorship application - 11 June 2019

Sponsorship approval - 5 August 2019

870 lodged - 8 September 2019

CO contact for biometrics - 8 September 2019

CO contact for health checkup and police clearances - 18 September 2019

Grant - 28 October 2019.

Previously a 3 year tourist visa was used (12 months stay, 6 months offshore within 18 month period) which has now been replaced, and a 143 visa (contributory parent) is currently processing in the background, that was lodged ~6 months before the 870.

Oh I should add, there was a CO contact for the 2nd visa application charge on 14 October 2019.  

• Thanks 2
  • Congratulations 1

14 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Second visa charge for  870 or 143?

14 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Did you apply for 3 year or 5 year as it’s likely  a three year one would run out before 143 granted if it’s a recent application. 

Second visa charge for the 870 - it was for the 5 year one.  

143 was lodged in Feb 2019 - and according to the DHA website it is taking ~50 months (~4 years) to be Q'd for final processing - so we will have an interesting decision to make in 5 years time if the 143 hasn't been finalised yet - whether to renew the 5-year 870 or find another pathway to get back onshore quickly.  

The figure of 50 months quoted isn't for  spplications made this year - it’s for much earlier applications! Immi are actually only now processing 143  applications made on December  2015.  At  end June 2018 there were approx 50000 applicants waiting and with less than 6000 a year being granted I suspect  you are  looking at a  8-9 years wait at least so you may well end up renewing the 870 for another 5 years. 

all of us here just wish immi were more open about eventual  timelines. 2015 applicants were told 18- 24 months wait   I applied 2017 and was also told  18-24 months! If you look at other topics most people have their timelines under their signatures which will give you a better idea of 143 wait times 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/50481-the-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread/?page=845

3 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

The figure of 50 months quoted isn't for  spplications made this year - it’s for much earlier applications! Immi are actually only now processing 143  applications made on December  2015.  At  end June 2018 there were approx 50000 applicants waiting and with less than 6000 a year being granted I suspect  you are  looking at a  8-9 years wait at least so you may well end up renewing the 870 for another 5 years. 

all of us here just wish immi were more open about eventual  timelines. 2015 applicants were told 18- 24 months wait   I applied 2017 and was also told  18-24 months! If you look at other topics most people have their timelines under their signatures which will give you a better idea of 143 wait times 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/50481-the-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread/?page=845

Oh righto - so it is 50 months to be Q'd to be finalised, and then based on current trends - approximately another 50 months to be finalised - I was getting confused with the data being presented there, good to have a comparison against the volume currently on-hand versus the cap per year.  

To be honest we are just glad Australia has such a program in place, unlike say NZ, with the new 870 visa at least there is an opportunity for long-term onshore stay instead of running through cycles of those visitor visas with the 6 months offshore in an 18 month period.  

Thank you for sharing that other thread, have been lurking in there a bit - and looks like I will be for the next decade or so!