870 parents temporary visa

Just bumped into this article

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2019/08/01/quite-joyful-reunion-indian-grandmother-among-first-recipients-new-parent-visa

Immigration Minister David Coleman says, 1300 sponsorship applications and 170 visa applications have been lodged.   

“As expected there has been strong demand for the new visa,” Mr Coleman said."

Quote from the article which baffles me is 170 visa applications have been lodged ( out of the quota of 15000) and still its adjudged as strong demand. 

3 minutes ago, Anks said:

Just bumped into this article

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2019/08/01/quite-joyful-reunion-indian-grandmother-among-first-recipients-new-parent-visa

Immigration Minister David Coleman says, 1300 sponsorship applications and 170 visa applications have been lodged.   

“As expected there has been strong demand for the new visa,” Mr Coleman said."

Quote from the article which baffles me is 170 visa applications have been lodged ( out of the quota of 15000) and still its adjudged as strong demand. 

Thanks so much for posting this.

I applied for sponsorship 12 days after it opened (29th April) -  heard nothing yet. Good to hear that some approvals have actually happened and the amount of sponsorship applications are at a level which mean my Mum has a chance at being one of the 15,000 approved this year.

I spoke to Immi today to find out how long a police check lasts, as I was thinking of getting one done for my Mum in advance, so that once I'm approved (hopefully) she can apply for the 870 straight away. He told be they last 12 months, so wouldn't suggest getting one done until requested. He said as it's a new visa that they had no idea how long the processing will take  - surely it won't be over a year from now? So frustrating! (sigh)

• Like 1

I would suggest contacting the AOS team if they take longer than 8 weeks to reply as my son called at the 10 week point only to be told that they needed more information on his whereabouts over the last 10 years. It was easily responded to but the fact was that the team had made no attempt to tell my son there was anything wrong and I wonder how long they would have left it before letting us know.

Also, with reference to the number of AOS applications vs the number of Visa applications, you cant start an application for the visa until you have an AOS  granted. Which is a shame as the amount of information required is the same as for a permanent visa! You can of course gather that info offline in advance and I would recommend doing that.

Ref the police checks/certificates, I would go ahead with them personally as although they are only valid for 12 months, the processing for this visa I'm sure wont take that long. I made the mistake of not doing them in advance and am now just waiting on receipt of them in order to complete my application!

Good luck to all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suzyq said:

I would suggest contacting the AOS team if they take longer than 8 weeks to reply as my son called at the 10 week point only to be told that they needed more information on his whereabouts over the last 10 years. It was easily responded to but the fact was that the team had made no attempt to tell my son there was anything wrong and I wonder how long they would have left it before letting us know.

Also, with reference to the number of AOS applications vs the number of Visa applications, you cant start an application for the visa until you have an AOS  granted. Which is a shame as the amount of information required is the same as for a permanent visa! You can of course gather that info offline in advance and I would recommend doing that.

Ref the police checks/certificates, I would go ahead with them personally as although they are only valid for 12 months, the processing for this visa I'm sure wont take that long. I made the mistake of not doing them in advance and am now just waiting on receipt of them in order to complete my application!

Good luck to all.

Thanks for advice Suzyq. Would you pls kindly share the contact details to query the AOS team?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2019 at 21:55, Suzyq said:

Can you confirm how you were notified of the Sponsorship approval please TinaD, unless the request for the birth certificate was for your sponsor and not yourself?

My son put his application in on 21st May, paid the fee and we've heard nothing since. I'm hoping we haven't missed the boat!

My son was emailed by Immigration....

He has now been approved...I have applied then requested to get a medical, after that was submitted then requested to get police checks ....It all takes time....hope you have had some response by now.

cheers 

tina 

Yes, thanks TinaD. Once I had my police checks back I was able to upload as required. I then finalised my application and submitted it.

Only by chance then on nosing around on IMMI and in my IMMI account a few days later I found a message informing me I need to organise a medical. I have now done so and have an appt here in Australia on Thursday.  Hoping that once that is completed and reported back that I get my visa granted. I'll update as soon as!

Sorry I'm a bit confused.... does the 870 applicant need to have a medical? I can't see this on the immi website and thought as they are not eligible for Medicare, that it wouldn't be necessary.

Also - I applied for sponsorship approval on the 29th April - still nothing, which is making me a bit worried.

6 hours ago, VictoriaP said:

Sorry I'm a bit confused.... does the 870 applicant need to have a medical? I can't see this on the immi website and thought as they are not eligible for Medicare, that it wouldn't be necessary.

Also - I applied for sponsorship approval on the 29th April - still nothing, which is making me a bit worried.

I didn't know for definite that a medical was a necessity either, but it was requested.  Although I found out I needed to have one by nosing around online in my IMMI account, I actually received an email asking for further information yesterday.  Fortunate that I'd already gone ahead and booked an appt and actually had it today.  I was told to have a Medical ( eyes, ears, tummy feel, under arms, neck, mouth, pressure against limbs (push / pull against docs arms), height, weight, BP, water and blood tests) Chest X-ray and HIV test.  There was some doubt as to whether the HIV test was required for the 870 visa, but I opted to go ahead rather than prolong any response from IMMI.

Regarding your AOS application, I would get in touch with them as my son needed to provide additional information when he called to find out what the delay with his application was.  I'm not sure how much longer it would have been before they actually got around to telling him. Somewhere I read that applications should be responded to within 8 weeks and I think we had ours approved about the 10 week point after chasing it up.

Good luck, Sue

On 02/08/2019 at 17:55, Suzyq said:

Good luck to all.

I'm confused here. Do they need an AOS in addition to the sponsorship for 870? Or it's only the AOS team taking charge in 870 sponsorship applications?  

Hi there

yes , my son completed  the permission to apply element in the sponsorship part of the visa , we thought we had given robust reasons for me to stay in Australia so I could apply for my part of the visa. It was declined - no reason. My sons sponsorship was approved in the same letter. So disappointingly, I have had to leave Australia to apply for the visa and await processing. Does that help?

3 minutes ago, Anks said:

Thanks Tina, were you having any other visa at the time the permission to apply was filed and did it had any conditions on it e.g. 8503? 

Why is condition 8503 relevant please when the visa applicant had to be offshore to lodge the subclass 870 visa application?

Best regards.

2 hours ago, Anks said:

Thanks @Alan Collett for clarifying,

can you please also advise if it is viable to apply for 870 when one already has 600? 

Hi Anks, I don't believe there's any reason not to be viable. I have done just that. I am just waiting on a decision as I have had my medical and the result should be with IMMI by now.

On 18 August 2019 at 21:55, Shane2019 said:

I'm confused here. Do they need an AOS in addition to the sponsorship for 870? Or it's only the AOS team taking charge in 870 sponsorship applications?  

You have your answer now Shane2019? It's really all but the 143!!

5 minutes ago, Suzyq said:

Hi Anks, I don't believe there's any reason not to be viable. I have done just that. I am just waiting on a decision as I have had my medical and the result should be with IMMI by now.

If you have condition on 600 visa saying no further stay does that prevent you from applying/receiving 870 visa?