870 parents temporary visa

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Like I said, the difference is that 188 applicants are paying a hefty fee upfront, then they will be running a business while they are living in Australia - and they have a strong incentive to make it a highly successful business, because then they stand a chance of being allowed to stay.  So although it's a temp visa, a 188 applicant can ultimately make a major contribution to the Australian economy.

In what way are 188 visa applicants paying a hefty fee up front please?

Remember also that not all 188 visa holders are coming in under the Business Innovation stream.

Best regards.

12 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Like I said, the difference is that 188 applicants are paying a hefty fee upfront, then they will be running a business while they are living in Australia - and they have a strong incentive to make it a highly successful business, because then they stand a chance of being allowed to stay.  So although it's a temp visa, a 188 applicant can ultimately make a major contribution to the Australian economy.

Yes I do know. That was also some of the reasoning why they had the old temporary Visas 405 and 410 which didn’t give PR.

They can also come in just by investing as I said.  I was replying to rtritudr who said  temporary visas weren’t allowed in - and they are as 188 is temporary. 

My suggestion regarding early processing of 143 grants was -  as I said - “tongue in cheek”  if all Australia wanted was extra money 

Edited by LindaH27

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes I do know. That was also some of the reasoning why they had the old temporary Visas 405 and 410 which didn’t give PR.

They can also come in just by investing as I said.  I was replying to rtritudr who said  temporary visas weren’t allowed in - and they are as 188 is temporary. 

My suggestion regarding early processing of 143 grants was -  as I said - “tongue in cheek”  if all Australia wanted was extra money 

410 retirement visa holders did not invest anything at all.  The visa was very cheap and cost about $300 ? to renew every 10 years. 

Completely  different visa conditions to the 405 visa

Edited by ramot

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Arti said:

Does anyone know budget numbers for 870 visas this year?

I guess this doesn't get allocated any budget usually as this is temporary visa stream  - is that right?

Last I checked they had allocated 15,000 places for the first year of the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Can you apply for 870 onshore if you are on bridging Visa? I have applied for 600 and they have asked me to do medicals which is booked in January 2021. They have issued me bridging visa to continue to stay.

Also have applied 143 in August 2016.

Edited by Guru81

5 minutes ago, Guru81 said:

Hi everyone,

Can you apply for 870 onshore if you are on bridging Visa? I have applied for 600 and they have asked me to do medicals which is booked in January 2021. They have issued me bridging visa to continue to stay.

Also have applied 143 in August 2016.

Are you over 70 or 75 ? I believe you don’t normally need a medical for 600 unless you’re over a certain age - not sure which of the two I’ve quoted is right. 

Again I believe if you fail the Medical  you’d have to leave - and as there are actually planes  leaving Australia now they could think there’s no barrier to you leaving. Best to speak to an agent

The criteria for  870 says it has to be applied for off shore unless you are given permission in certain cases to apply onshore. I don’t know what those are you would have to ask an agent.

You can’t work on it and will have to have private health insurance which is pretty expensive. Also your sponsor would need to be earning around $84000 per annum.Have you already applied for 143? If not and  you do get the 870 you can’t apply for any other visa until the 870 ends. 
There’s plenty of information on immi website. Just google 870 or 600 

10 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Are you over 70 or 75 ? I believe you don’t normally need a medical for 600 unless you’re over a certain age - not sure which of the two I’ve quoted is right. 

Again I believe if you fail the Medical  you’d have to leave - and as there are actually planes  leaving Australia now they could think there’s no barrier to you leaving. Best to speak to an agent

The criteria for  870 says it has to be applied for off shore unless you are given permission in certain cases to apply onshore. I don’t know what those are you would have to ask an agent.

You can’t work on it and will have to have private health insurance which is pretty expensive. Also your sponsor would need to be earning around $84000 per annum.Have you already applied for 143? If not and  you do get the 870 you can’t apply for any other visa until the 870 ends. 
There’s plenty of information on immi website. Just google 870 or 600 

Thanks Linda for detailed info. These days immigration is asking everyone to do medicals if you are applying for 600 onshore. This is mainly for those whose existing 600 has expired and have applied it again to continue to stay in Australia.

Regarding 870  government has advised that people can apply for 870 onshore as long as they are eligible. I wasnt sure about whether  you can apply while u are on bridging visa  or not.

Yes, i have already applied for 143 in Aug 2016. The reason for 870 is mainly because we dont want to travel due to covid 19 and if you apply for 600 onshore then DHA only gives 3 months of additional visa these days.

32 minutes ago, Arti said:

Hi guys

My parents are offshore and I'm about to lodge their 870 application (sponsorship is approved).

Not sure what to expect next though - anyone offshore who's got 870 granted in the last 6 months?

Have seen a few posts on social media where immi have taken the money but not issued  the visa - waiting till borders open. If they issued, you would lose that time before they opened and looking like end 2021 early 2022 before that happens. You couldn’t enter before then as it’s only a temporary visa. People may prefer to have the money in their bank rather than  the govts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Have seen a few posts on social media where immi have taken the money but not issued  the visa - waiting till borders open. If they issued, you would lose that time before they opened and looking like end 2021 early 2022 before that happens. You couldn’t enter before then as it’s only a temporary visa. People may prefer to have the money in their bank rather than  the govts. 

More on that yes you may loose the sponsorship application fees as it has a 6 month period to apply for the actual 870 once the sponsorship is granted. However wont hurt requesting the department if they are able to provide an extension for that due to the borders being closed and no point loosing on the whole of 3 years for the parents. Worst case you may only loose the sponsorship fees and pcc and all which you might have to do again but If I was in your situation I wont apply for the applicants now knowing they can't fly on a temp visa. 

Edited by Anks

Hi Members,

Please guide me on my parents scenario below:

My parents are currently in Australia on a SC 600 Visa. There 12 months stay will complete on 7th December 2020. They have the No further Stay Condition on their Visa.

My Plan

1) I am planning to apply for a 5 year SC 870 Visa. I have already prepared my sponsorship application and I will request the department to provide me approval to apply onshore.

Question:  A) Is the department sponsorship's to apply for this visa onshore. If Yes,  what reason shall i mention to in the sponsorship form explaining the why I need to apply this onshore.

B) I will request for a waiver of no further stay condition by filing up the online form at the departments website. Should I first wait for the no wavier condition to be approved and then submit the sponsorship form or can I do it simultaneously.

The objective is to keep my Parents here until the covid situation is improved back in the home country.

Also I chose 870 because it suits my parents circumstances. 

Please do let me know your thoughts.

1 minute ago, Rajat said:

Hi Members,

My parents are currently in Australia on a SC 600 Visa. There 12 months stay will complete on 7th December 2020. They have the No further Stay Condition on their Visa.

My Plan

1) I am planning to apply for a 5 year SC 870 Visa. I have already prepared my sponsorship application and I will request the department to provide me approval to apply onshore.

Question:  A) Is the department sponsorship's to apply for this visa onshore. If Yes,  what reason shall i mention to in the sponsorship form explaining the why I need to apply this onshore.

B) I will request for a waiver of no further stay condition by filing up the online form at the departments website. Should I first wait for the no wavier condition to be approved and then submit the sponsorship form or can I do it simultaneously.

The objective is to keep my Parents here until the covid situation is improved back in the home country.

When I see this number of questions that go to the question of strategy and detail I tend to think to myself that the enquirer should have migration agent support.

Happy to let others respond though ... 😀

Best regards.

2 minutes ago, Rajat said:

Hi Members,

My Plan

Question:  A) Is the department sponsors to apply for this visa onshore. If Yes,  what reason shall i mention to the department in the sponsorship form explaining the need to apply onshore

25 minutes ago, Rajat said:

Hi Members,

My Plan

Hi rajat, 

First apply for waive no further condition. Just attach request letter that you worried if your parents travel in this COVID time ..definitely they will waive..I got my mother s 870 visa onshore visa. She was on tourist visa with no further..no issue 

12 minutes ago, Jeet85 said:

Hi rajat, 

First apply for waive no further condition. Just attach request letter that you worried if your parents travel in this COVID time ..definitely they will waive..I got my mother s 870 visa onshore visa. She was on tourist visa with no further..no issue 

Thanks Jeet. So in the Sponsorship application - I will mention the same reason. Also do you know how long are they taking to approve the Sponsorship application

21 minutes ago, Rajat said:

Thanks Jeet. So in the Sponsorship application - I will mention the same reason. Also do you know how long are they taking to approve the Sponsorship application

Yes rajat, as well attach approval of no further condition. And I got sponsorship approval same day..make sure you attach all required documents.

2 hours ago, Anks said:

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/audio/fees-waived-to-keep-temporary-visa-holders-on-side_4

Not sure if this is relevant to the 870 sponsorship applications as well..

Looks more relevant for skilled visa holders and tourists.

In all fairness if they're not going to open borders for 870 visa holders they shouldn't be granting the visa either until such time that borders reopen.

24 minutes ago, Arti said:

Looks more relevant for skilled visa holders and tourists.

In all fairness if they're not going to open borders for 870 visa holders they shouldn't be granting the visa either until such time that borders reopen.

They’re not but I’ve seen posts where people have paid for them but not had them issued. 

Another thing mentioned by the immigration minister  was that the borders would remain closed longer for certain high risk  countries. He mentioned India as an example  but I guess countries like US and UK would also be on that list given the high numbers in those countries as well. He also repeated that the borders would likely remain closed till a vaccine was found. 

Given  the massive drop in immigration and the hit to the economy Australia will be concentrating its efforts on bringing young people in rather than old who will cost the taxpayers money as they age. It’s heading towards a smaller and older population at present as immigrants over the last 20-30 years start ageing so they need to replace them quickly with more  young ones. 

Yes the high cost of the visa is really a Medicare  levy because  they’ve never paid into the system - but the true cost is nearer ten times as much. 

They’ve been lowering the number of parent visas  for a few years now - I suspect it  will continue to drop further (especially if they are prioritising the onshore applicants) . . I really do hope they don’t keep reducing the offshore visas available -  for all our sakes!! 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone, I understand that we are all asking the same question but here I go. 

We started gaining our family sponsor visa for my mom( in UK) in August. that was approved within a couple of weeks, then she started her visa application, the 870 on the 22nd September. I totally understand the delay at the moment but was just wondering if anyone else had had any movement. I saw further down the chat that someone knew they were 200o in the queue ( im sure it s a joke) but is there a way to find out wait times or do we just have to be patient.

cheers for listening. Hope you are all well.

4 hours ago, GOAT said:

Hello Everyone, I understand that we are all asking the same question but here I go. 

We started gaining our family sponsor visa for my mom( in UK) in August. that was approved within a couple of weeks, then she started her visa application, the 870 on the 22nd September. I totally understand the delay at the moment but was just wondering if anyone else had had any movement. I saw further down the chat that someone knew they were 200o in the queue ( im sure it s a joke) but is there a way to find out wait times or do we just have to be patient.

cheers for listening. Hope you are all well.

The wait is not due to a certain # of applicants in queue its owing to no temporary visa grants being issued due to covid. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/10/2020 at 10:42, Jeet85 said:

Hi rajat, 

Hi Jeet,

Does 8503 (no further stay) need to be explicitly waived? Apparently the sponsor request Permission to Apply in Australia which i assume automatically overrides the need to waive 8503 if it exists (assumption only - could be wrong). If waiver still required, what's the order (request P2A -> waive 8503 or other way round) ?

I ask coz in your post on Jul 24th, you mentioned "Got sponsorship approval as well as permission to apply onshore  within 3 hours" - didn't see any mention of 8503 waiver explicitly hence the query.

Lastly, were you asked for the international PCC (for yourself as sponsor)? If yes, will appreciate any note on how you got the same from Aus and the time it took.

Hi Rajat,

Welcome your update/experience/input on the above all the same.

Thanks.

Sunny.

25 minutes ago, hiitssunny said:

Hi Jeet,

Does 8503 (no further stay) need to be explicitly waived? Apparently the sponsor request Permission to Apply in Australia which i assume automatically overrides the need to waive 8503 if it exists (assumption only - could be wrong). If waiver still required, what's the order (request P2A -> waive 8503 or other way round) ?

I ask coz in your post on Jul 24th, you mentioned "Got sponsorship approval as well as permission to apply onshore  within 3 hours" - didn't see any mention of 8503 waiver explicitly hence the query.

Lastly, were you asked for the international PCC (for yourself as sponsor)? If yes, will appreciate any note on how you got the same from Aus and the time it took.

Hi Rajat,

Thanks.

Sunny.

Answering my own question if this benefits anyone, it seems waiving 8503 is indeed required before requesting Permission to Apply in Australia. Source follows (see section 'Onshore Parent Visa' in the link below). 

https://www.noborders-group.com/news/covid-19-and-the-sponsored-parent-visa-

In saying saying that, if anyone had a different experience, please feel free to contradict.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, hiitssunny said:

Hi Jeet,

Hi Rajat,

Thanks.

Sunny.

I waived no further condition first then apply sponsorship application .

2nd thing , i live in Australia more than 12 years so I didn’t need international pcc .. 

My mother s Indian pcc took 6 week 

hope this help.

thanks 

jeet