Been here 10 years thought it’s time to tell my story

PommiePaul66

Hi there Paul here.

well it’s been 10 years . 

Started off feb 2007 watching wanted down under one wet Monday morning . After a week of none stop rain I said who wants to go to live in Australia to my family wife 42 me 41 Paul jnr 13 tom 12 jack 7 Katie 5 months . We had a vote and we all said yes .

Im a fabricator welder . So I looked at my options online and I had enough points 125 to get a skilled visa 175 at the time . Well by the time I got my skilled visa they had moved the goal posts and I never had enough points . So I said looking on here . You could get state sponsorship a 175 visa . So I went down that path . On the 30 Th of September 2008 we got the visa 😀

We had taken our medical in the June so we had be out here by June 2009. We were very lucky we sold our house mid January and we had already thought we would have to rent the house out ,as we had flights booked for 25 Th of February.

So lucky the bloke we sold too let us stay in it rent free till the day we left . 

So 13 suitcases 4 kids and a stressed wife we set off on the best decision of our lives . 

We were very lucky again my work friend had moved out here 18 months before us and picked me up at the airport and let all of us stay at his house with his family 3 kids . So jet lagged and staying in my mates house all 11 of us and dog .

graham got me my first job it wasn’t the best but it got me going . Since then I’ve moved jobs 11 times . I’ve work all over Australia one job was on a oil and gas project 8 hrs flying time away from sunny Brisbane our home . The heat was unbearable at time and working 26 nights and 9 days off was tough . My boys love the place after a month of being here Paul jnr came home from school and said dad Australia is amazing. 

It made me so happy that they loved it .

Since being here my eldest boy Paul got a job as auto cad operator a draftsman with a fire engineers . Sine then he’s completed his cert 3 and 4 in drafting and Is hopefully starting his degree in fire engineering next year . Sponsored by work . Tom my middle boy is a plaster and jack is doing a civil engineering degree. Katie is 13 this year and has just stared high school. The wife has a government job in the hospital 10 mins drive from home .

ive given up working away now  and I’m a leading hand  boiler maker in a fabrication work shop 9km away from home . 

If anyone is thinking of coming here go for it . It really is the lucky country and I feel lucky being here . 

Good luck to anyone trying to get here .

paul and family 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, PommiePaul66 said:

Hi there Paul here.

well it’s been 10 years . 

Started off feb 2007 watching wanted down under one wet Monday morning . After a week of none stop rain I said who wants to go to live in Australia to my family wife 42 me 41 Paul jnr 13 tom 12 jack 7 Katie 5 months . We had a vote and we all said yes .

Im a fabricator welder . So I looked at my options online and I had enough points 125 to get a skilled visa 175 at the time . Well by the time I got my skilled visa they had moved the goal posts and I never had enough points . So I said looking on here . You could get state sponsorship a 175 visa . So I went down that path . On the 30 Th of September 2008 we got the visa 😀

We had taken our medical in the June so we had be out here by June 2009. We were very lucky we sold our house mid January and we had already thought we would have to rent the house out ,as we had flights booked for 25 Th of February.

So lucky the bloke we sold too let us stay in it rent free till the day we left . 

So 13 suitcases 4 kids and a stressed wife we set off on the best decision of our lives . 

We were very lucky again my work friend had moved out here 18 months before us and picked me up at the airport and let all of us stay at his house with his family 3 kids . So jet lagged and staying in my mates house all 11 of us and dog .

graham got me my first job it wasn’t the best but it got me going . Since then I’ve moved jobs 11 times . I’ve work all over Australia one job was on a oil and gas project 8 hrs flying time away from sunny Brisbane our home . The heat was unbearable at time and working 26 nights and 9 days off was tough . My boys love the place after a month of being here Paul jnr came home from school and said dad Australia is amazing. 

It made me so happy that they loved it .

Since being here my eldest boy Paul got a job as auto cad operator a draftsman with a fire engineers . Sine then he’s completed his cert 3 and 4 in drafting and Is hopefully starting his degree in fire engineering next year . Sponsored by work . Tom my middle boy is a plaster and jack is doing a civil engineering degree. Katie is 13 this year and has just stared high school. The wife has a government job in the hospital 10 mins drive from home .

ive given up working away now  and I’m a leading hand  boiler maker in a fabrication work shop 9km away from home . 

If anyone is thinking of coming here go for it . It really is the lucky country and I feel lucky being here . 

Good luck to anyone trying to get here .

paul and family 

Glad to hear that everything has worked out for you and your family, ice just applied for a 190visa for SA and hoping to move to Aus next year.

Have you found work easy enough? I'm also a fabricator / Welder with 20yrs experience making pressure vessels for food / pharmaceutical and nuclear industry.

7 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Glad to hear that everything has worked out for you and your family, ice just applied for a 190visa for SA and hoping to move to Aus next year.

Have you found work easy enough? I'm also a fabricator / Welder with 20yrs experience making pressure vessels for food / pharmaceutical and nuclear industry.

You will find work no problem . The re is less big construction jobs at the moment but it will pick up . If you can pass your 6 g weld test you won’t have to worry . 

1 hour ago, PommiePaul66 said:

You will find work no problem . The re is less big construction jobs at the moment but it will pick up . If you can pass your 6 g weld test you won’t have to worry . 

Do they just class you as a boilermaker of your work experience? or is there some sort of qualification specific to that in Aus?

Mainly fabricate as im not a massive fan of welding, no problem TIG welding but not done any stick or MIG since college....do you think that would be a problem?

We have loved every part of living here. Came in our 20s and now retired and never had any doubt that we had done the right thing for our family. Two born here and two born in the uk and many grandchildren all here and now  a couple of great grandchildren. A lucky life in a lucky country.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Great to read Paul...  It almost sounds silly but like you we sat here in the UK looking out the window at the rain (going on and on) and the cold going on and on watching these great places on TV. It was also that day that my aunt in Perth posted on Facebook how she loves living in Oz (for the last 30 years), so we started the mission that day.

We are still waiting on our 190 nomination but there might be an exciting twist that could help us on our visa way very shortly. Exciting times ahead.

Where are you living Paul?

• Like 2