Which school year?

roomummy

Hello Peeps, I have a dilemma with regards to school years for my children. I am an Australian returning home (from the UK) with my British husband and two children. We have been planning the move for several years and finally, things have fallen into place and we have our one-way tickets book for 20th September 19. 

Now here is the tricky bit: My daughter is 15, she is just completing year 10 in the UK, she was born in December 2003. My son is 11 and is just completing year 6 in the UK, he was born in April 2008. According to the Australian Education System, they would need to enrol into year 10 and year 6 on arrival according to their age. Seems ok so far, right? 

However, by the time we arrive in Australia and get settled my daughter will have a 9-week term in year 10 in her new Australian High School, followed by a 'move' after Christmas to start at Senior School in year 11. My son will have a 9-week term in Australian Primary,  year 6, followed by a 'move' to High School to start year 7!! 

Basically, both of them will have to repeat one term of the year they have just finished in a new school and then immediately move to another new school as they both move up to more senior years. I'm not sure if I'm worrying about nothing, but I don't know if this is a good idea or not. My instinct tells me that they should either go down a grade for one term and then repeat their current year OR miss 9 weeks of school with an extended 'summer holiday' and start in the new senior school in the correct year. 

Anyone out there had a similar issue? Thoughts?

Additional info: Both are capable students and I think will adjust to the curriculum ok. BUT, I also don't want to underestimate how difficult the move will be on them and I would much prefer they can establish friendships, find their way around, get used to the new accents, lingo and socially establish themselves. I feel they need time to acclimatise before shifting schools again. My main concern is changing school twice in the space of 9 weeks immediately after moving home. Plus it's not very practical, two sets of uniform 2 x two children for three different schools!!  #worriedmummy  

Nah, just pop them into the year with their chronological peers and let them have the last term (or close enough).  They'll make connections and you'll pick up some cheap uniforms at the uniform pool - most schools have a dress code rather than an enforced uniform (all depending on where you go of course) and if you talk to the school, they'll give some leeway. Think of it as a practice for making new friends in a new environment.  Again, all depending on the state, you might find that the yr 10 will stay at the same school for yrs 11 & 12.  Your son could be borderline for holding back a year - again, all depending on the state (some states have an April cut off and kids with an April birthday will often have been held back a year before kindergarten) and it rather depends on his social and emotional development - if he's savvy and sporty then pop him in as one of the youngest but if he's insecure and nerdy pop him into year 5 rather than yr 6.

Rid yourself of the notion that they will be "repeating" anything.  They won't have done those years in Australia, it'll be a whole new ballgame and probably a light enough entry into the system as UK kids do seem to be quite a way ahead of their Aussie peers but the approach will be potentially quite different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roomummy said:

Hello Peeps, I have a dilemma with regards to school years for my children. I am an Australian returning home (from the UK) with my British husband and two children. We have been planning the move for several years and finally, things have fallen into place and we have our one-way tickets book for 20th September 19. 

Now here is the tricky bit: My daughter is 15, she is just completing year 10 in the UK, she was born in December 2003. My son is 11 and is just completing year 6 in the UK, he was born in April 2008. According to the Australian Education System, they would need to enrol into year 10 and year 6 on arrival according to their age. Seems ok so far, right? 

However, by the time we arrive in Australia and get settled my daughter will have a 9-week term in year 10 in her new Australian High School, followed by a 'move' after Christmas to start at Senior School in year 11. My son will have a 9-week term in Australian Primary,  year 6, followed by a 'move' to High School to start year 7!! 

Basically, both of them will have to repeat one term of the year they have just finished in a new school and then immediately move to another new school as they both move up to more senior years. I'm not sure if I'm worrying about nothing, but I don't know if this is a good idea or not. My instinct tells me that they should either go down a grade for one term and then repeat their current year OR miss 9 weeks of school with an extended 'summer holiday' and start in the new senior school in the correct year. 

Anyone out there had a similar issue? Thoughts?

Additional info: Both are capable students and I think will adjust to the curriculum ok. BUT, I also don't want to underestimate how difficult the move will be on them and I would much prefer they can establish friendships, find their way around, get used to the new accents, lingo and socially establish themselves. I feel they need time to acclimatise before shifting schools again. My main concern is changing school twice in the space of 9 weeks immediately after moving home. Plus it's not very practical, two sets of uniform 2 x two children for three different schools!!  #worriedmummy  

Why would they have to change schools twice? My daughter is the same age as yours ,she is currently in Yr 10 which is classed as senior school. We are in QLD and the whole system has very recent;y changed in relation to yr 10,11 and 12. I agree with the above post putting them in the year they should be in for the last term, this would give them a chance to make some friends before the start of the new year. For us there is no uniform change from yrs 10 - 11 as its all done when they start the first year of senior schooling in yr 10.

Cal x

Year 10 here in WA is when your daughter would choose options for year 11 and 12, so I think it would be advantageous if the system is similar in the state you're going to do the 8 weeks in year 10, establish some friendships, choose subjects … far less stressful than starting in year 11 and finding your chosen subjects are full or clash with other favoured subjects.

• Like 1

Why would they have to change schools twice? My daughter is the same age as yours ,she is currently in Yr 10 which is classed as senior school. We are in QLD and the whole system has very recent;y changed in relation to yr 10,11 and 12. I agree with the above post putting them in the year they should be in for the last term, this would give them a chance to make some friends before the start of the new year. For us there is no uniform change from yrs 10 - 11 as its all done when they start the first year of senior schooling in yr 10.
 Cal x
They will both move schools from uk to oz, my son will go into a new primary school (move1) after just finishing year 6 here and doing the big leavers assembly etc, then he will move to high school (move2) my daughter from her current year 10 where she is already going selected subjects, back to junior high for a term then to senior high, which unfortunately is two separate schools in the area we are going to in nsw. Although I agree uniform could be purchased second hand and they will make friends in the first term I just don't like the change of schools just after starting. Bad Timing which I didn't preempt.
  • Like 1

Year 10 here in WA is when your daughter would choose options for year 11 and 12, so I think it would be advantageous if the system is similar in the state you're going to do the 8 weeks in year 10, establish some friendships, choose subjects … far less stressful than starting in year 11 and finding your chosen subjects are full or clash with other favoured subjects.
Yes I agree, my daughter is already studying her chosen subjects here in the UK. Although I appreciate it is a different system I hope they will get a chance to settle before moving schools. I would like them both to go into the year below for one term then do one year in current class before moving up to high school/senior.

I don't think this would be an issue for my son as he is 1st April born and age wise would fit into a year 5 class. He started school in the UK when he was 4 and he's little for his year here. But my daughter is boxing day baby and she hasn't got educational time to abdorb any mistakes. Settling in, choosing subjects, and moving up to a new senior campus in 9 weeks feels really rushed. She will do just two years senior before leaving school again for college. If she was in UK she would do year 11 this Sept followed by two years A levels.

I've booked a telephone consult with the Principle so will see what the expert advice is.

2 hours ago, roomummy said:
11 hours ago, calNgary said:
 Cal x

They will both move schools from uk to oz, my son will go into a new primary school (move1) after just finishing year 6 here and doing the big leavers assembly etc, then he will move to high school (move2) my daughter from her current year 10 where she is already going selected subjects, back to junior high for a term then to senior high, which unfortunately is two separate schools in the area we are going to in nsw. Although I agree uniform could be purchased second hand and they will make friends in the first term I just don't like the change of schools just after starting. Bad Timing which I didn't preempt.

We don't tend to have junior and senior high here (unless this is something at the particular school you've chosen).   You may find that when schools refer to 'upper school' it isn't a change in campus but the same school.  Additionally, children here finish school and go right to Uni (if that's their chosen pathway), no college in between.

• Like 1

We don't tend to have junior and senior high here (unless this is something at the particular school you've chosen).   You may find that when schools refer to 'upper school' it isn't a change in campus but the same school.  Additionally, children here finish school and go right to Uni (if that's their chosen pathway), no college in between.
Yes I'm aware of that. We are moving to mid coast (Forster) there are two high school's split into two catchments, north and south for year 7-10, then a separate school for seniors from both schools for year 11-12. It's 'pants' because if my daughter was in the uk she would do year 11 followed by 2 years A levels. In oz she will do 9 weeks in yr10 then two years in senior 11 & 12. Essentially she looses a years high school education if they don't put her back a grade.

2 minutes ago, roomummy said:
12 minutes ago, ali said:

Yes I'm aware of that. We are moving to mid coast (Forster) there are two high school's split into two catchments, north and south for year 7-10, then a separate school for seniors from both schools for year 11-12. It's 'pants' because if my daughter was in the uk she would do year 11 followed by 2 years A levels. In oz she will do 9 weeks in yr10 then two years in senior 11 & 12. Essentially she looses a years high school education if they don't put her back a grade.

I see.  My daughter started Highschool in the September in the UK and then year 7 here in WA was primary school so she did 3 months HS and then a year primary before going to HS.  Moving to a new country has it's challenges and education is one of them.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roomummy said:
19 minutes ago, ali said:

If the Senior School is for both schools then at least she will know half the kids from her 9 weeks there, and maybe have some new friends to spend time with over the Summer holidays?  I bit more tricky for your son, but again at least he would know a few kids when he starts SHS.

Dosn't it just. I'm thinking always best to have more school than less particularly at the later stages of education. Not so hard to recover when your child is young but for a teen I'm feeling concerned. It could take her a year to u derstand the curriculum and teaching styles,make friends and learn where everything is. I have made a telephone appointment with principles, see what they think. Grrr...just when you think you have is sussed [emoji51]

I see.  My daughter started Highschool in the September in the UK and then year 7 here in WA was primary school so she did 3 months HS and then a year primary before going to HS.  Moving to a new country has it's challenges and education is one of them.  

3 minutes ago, roomummy said:

Dosn't it just. I'm thinking always best to have more school than less particularly at the later stages of education. Not so hard to recover when your child is young but for a teen I'm feeling concerned. It could take her a year to u derstand the curriculum and teaching styles,make friends and learn where everything is. I have made a telephone appointment with principles, see what they think. Grrr...just when you think you have is sussed emoji51.png

You know, she'll probably sail thorough it and you'll be left wondering what you were worried about lol

• Like 2