Seafarers exemption Citizenship

DeckhandDec

I’m wondering if anyone has gained citizenship via the seafarers exemption  before? 

I’m a seafarer working on a superyacht 8 months of the year and I don’t get back to Australia for more than 2-4 months a year. I would like to apply via the seafarers exemption but I can’t find a lawyer that has enough confidence or knowledge in the route.

cheers,

Declan 

I think someone else on the forum (CaptainR?) just had theirs turned down as a seafarer. His options were to appeal at almost $1000 IIRC or re-apply now he is eligible the normal route. Pretty sure he mentioned there appeared to be a general lack of understanding about getting Citizenship this way.

I was told by one lawyer that it would be best to apply by my self and use them if i needed to appeal. It seems as though they didn’t have much confidence in the application being approved.

Its frustrating as Australia is home but my work takes me away for so much time each year now that I won’t be eligible on the normal route unless I quit and stay in Australia for 2 years.

There must be someone out there who has had there’s approved via the seafarers exemption.