Been here a while.

Dm1

6 hours ago, Dm1 said:

Been here a while now.. up sides but plenty of down sides.. 

Of course, just like any country, there are good points and bad points. Balance them out and it’s no better and no worse than anywhere else. The trouble is that prospective migrants tend to imagine it’s something extra specit

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Of course, just like any country, there are good points and bad points. Balance them out and it’s no better and no worse than anywhere else. The trouble is that prospective migrants tend to imagine it’s something extra specit

The thing is it actually can be worse.  Personally Its been fairly good to me to date but that was due to a lot of good fortune. 

5 minutes ago, Dm1 said:

I dont need to vent. Just letting potetial migrants know it not all roses.. 

Most of us on this forum know this already.  We always say if you have a good life in your home country, why move to Australia.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Toots said:

Most of us on this forum know this already.  We always say if you have a good life in your home country, why move to Australia.

Most people i know that has moved here did have a good life in their home country. They moved for the chance of a better one or just for something different. The same principle could be used with a car or house ir any aspect of live yet people change cars and move house etc.. 

Edited by Dm1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dm1 said:

Most people i know that has moved here did have a good life in their home country. They moved for the chance of a better one or just for something different. The same principle could be used with a car or house ir any aspect of live yet people change cars and move house etc.. 

Yes they do but some people move 10,000 miles from home hoping for a better life and find that it isn't any better.   We moved nearly 40 years ago when life was very easy here.  It's not easy any more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dm1 said:

I dont need to vent. Just letting potetial migrants know it not all roses.. 

Good luck with that. People who are desperate to believe the grass is greener, which is the case with most of them, just won’t believe you.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Good luck with that. People who are desperate to believe the grass is greener, which is the case with most of them, just won’t believe you.

Im hearing you.. thing is, grass might be greener but it still needs cut.. 

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I think the migrants from the so called lesser countries will be moving for a better life, where as people like myself from the more established countries are just moving for a different life.

I'm under no elusion that I will encounter the same issues which I encounter in the UK but would like to see what its like when 9 times out of 10 you have decent weather at a weekend where we can all go out and hopefully the kids have a bit more to do than hanging around on street corners getting pissed at 11 yrs old.

When I get home from work I am knackered and just want to chill so I don't think that the minute we get to Aus that we will be going down to the beach every night. 

Nothing wrong with my life in the UK but what's wrong with trying something different.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lavers said:

I think the migrants from the so called lesser countries will be moving for a better life, where as people like myself from the more established countries are just moving for a different life.

Nothing wrong with my life in the UK but what's wrong with trying something different.

That’s the right attitude, but you’d be surprised how many British migrants say they’re coming for a better life or a better future for their kids.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I'm under no elusion that I will encounter the same issues which I encounter in the UK but would like to see what its like when 9 times out of 10 you have decent weather at a weekend where we can all go out and hopefully the kids have a bit more to do than hanging around on street corners getting pissed at 11 yrs old.

When I get home from work I am knackered and just want to chill so I don't think that the minute we get to Aus that we will be going down to the beach every night. 

Thats it.. i didnt come here becauae i jad a horrible life style.. like yourself i was looking for a different life experience.  And its definitely that.. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That’s the right attitude, but you’d be surprised how many British migrants say they’re coming for a better life or a better future for their kids.

Maybe that's the reason so many people return "home" and some of the tv programs wont help the issue either haha

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Maybe that's the reason so many people return "home" and some of the tv programs wont help the issue either haha

I do think its a  better life style for kids but it can be stressful for the first while. I had the jitters for about 6 months then i settled. I have been here over 7 years now. No regrets but its been hard work. Once you get your head around how much they love all the administration etc here then its a bit easier. Just a different way of going.  Can be frustrating at times, even for Aussies.. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes they do but some people move 10,000 miles from home hoping for a better life and find that it isn't any better.   We moved nearly 40 years ago when life was very easy here.  It's not easy any more.

Sorry, but it was never ‘easy’.  

2 hours ago, Lavers said:

As long as you understand it isn’t pommyland with the sun shining, you might make a go of it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dm1 said:

I do think its a  better life style for kids but it can be stressful for the first while. I had the jitters for about 6 months then i settled. I have been here over 7 years now. No regrets but its been hard work. Once you get your head around how much they love all the administration etc here then its a bit easier. Just a different way of going.  Can be frustrating at times, even for Aussies.. 

Its just about adapting and not comparing everything to the country which you have just left (I would imagine).  Been in the UK all my life and been at the same company since I left school (20 yrs ago), so it will be a big change in many ways but something I just have to try.

The out door lifestyle is what my family wants the most as that is what we love here but is hard work at times.  We are into the so called summer season but it hasn't stopped raining in the 3 weeks.

The area I live in the UK isn't bad but there isn't much for kids as they keep shutting everything, and the play areas we do have for kids aren't really well maintained.

Main thing is I don't want to wake up in 20yrs time thinking what if.

• Like 2