Adelaide - where to live?

ajbritton

We are looking to move to Adelaide and are trying to fnd some nice areas to look for rental accomodation. Criteria as follows;

1 - Near to good schools (2 kids aged 2 & 5)

2 - Not to far from beach if possible (< 30 mins)

3 - Nice area (obvious really)

4 - Commutable to city for work

Any advice?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy

Ok just to bump your thread back up really. Have visted Adelaide though and loved it there. These are the areas that I can remember which had lovely houses, lovely areas near to good schools and not to far from CBD

Mount Barker

Black Forest

Craigburn Farm (these houses were lovely)

Go onto the realestate.com.au website and put in these areas and see what comes up, to give you an idea on house prices etc..

Good luck Kim

p.s. not sure that Mount Barker was near to a beach but when you go on the real estate website use the map to look for the beach

Hi Andy

We're moving to Mount Barker which is the largest town in the Adelaide Hills. I'm not a city person but can't live in the middle of no-where either. It has a good number of shops, schools and other facilities like pools, cinema etc.

It's 20-25 mins from CBD and coast. It also has a park and ride bus service for the CBD which my sister-in-law uses (and OH will too when we get there).

Rental fairly cheap too.

Glenelg is a lovely area by the sea, but would have thought it would be more expensive to rent.

Sorry I can't help with anywhere else. Good luck.

Kag and Co

Guest BarbersRgo?

Hi

When we FINALLY get our visa, we are going to settle in Victor Harbor/Goolwa. Absolutely beautiful. Very close to the beaches and there is a school in Victor Harbor although don't know how good as it's not something we have to think about. The only downside for yourself is that it is an hour away from CBD. There is a motorway and a lot of the Aussies think it's worth the travel for the area and peace and quiet. Hpe this helps a bit.:unsure:

Guest bellaroo

hi Andy

I'm an ex Adelaidean living in London, thinking about moving back to "de'Laide" with my English hubby.

I grew up in Adelaide and hope I can add a few biased thoughts (!). Not sure where your work is, feel free to post a reply and i can give you my twopence worth.

One thing I would say is that most Adelaidean locals think that anywhere more than 20 min drive is too far!! I would love to talk them through my twice daily 80 min tube commute across London!! I digress.....

City suggestions (east):

I grew up in Unley / Parkside, on the edge of the parklands. Schools are good, and it is a reasonably middle class, "safe" bet. You could walk or ride a bike to the city CBD across the parklands, you can drive down Greenhill Rd to the beach in 20 mins, and also get to the Adelaide hills very easily. Rental for houses pretty stable and is highly sought after area.

Norwood / Stepney are lovely areas, more pricey, but the Parade is a fab high st with loads of cafes, restaurants and independent shops. Houses tend to be smaller and rental more expensive (reminds me of suburban London). Schools are also very good in this area.

I lived in Hackney for a few years, which has loads of rental properties, smack bang next to the city / parklands. But I have no idea about schools in this area!

Mitcham Primary, Highate Primary School all had good reputations (don't know nowadays).

(west):

Mile End is really family friendly, close to the city (within a mile) and you can drive straight down Henley Beach Rd to the beach in less than 20 mins. Mile End boomed about 10 years ago, and prices have gone up, but the back yards are generally quite large, schools and nurseries good. Down side is the flight path to Adelaide airport.

Near Mile End, Thebarton and Brompton are very similar areas, more affordable. Quite a mix of people, makes it a very interesting lively area.

(south beachside):

Brighton and Somerton / Somerton Park are lovely areas, big houses, wide streets. Again, because it is near the beach, prices are very stable. Commute to town is straight up Brighton Rd, connecting to Anzac highway.

(north beachside):

West beach, Grange and Henley Beach are my favourites, great restaurant and cafe scenes, open sandy beaches and the houses are generally old, built from stone and resonably sizeable and cool. Again, beachside is prohibitive, but a few streets back along military road and thereabouts, you might find a rental bargain. I agree with Kag that Glenelg is pricey.

(hills):

Mt Barker / Stirling / Crafers are beautiful areas. Schools are great, houses on sizeable plots of land and surrounded by trees. This is getting away from it all in many respects!! You are quite a drive from the city (20 mins) - down the freeway but it is not too bad. You are a long way from the beach - I think 30 mins is more realistic personally, but I guess that's the trade off. The Adelaide Hills has lots of lovely little towns / vineyards / galleries etc.

So there are a few thoughts! Best of luck with the hunt. It is quite different to hunting for rental properties in the UK!!

Bellaroo

Guest chippie74
hi Andy

I'm an ex Adelaidean living in London, thinking about moving back to "de'Laide" with my English hubby.

I grew up in Adelaide and hope I can add a few biased thoughts (!). Not sure where your work is, feel free to post a reply and i can give you my twopence worth.

One thing I would say is that most Adelaidean locals think that anywhere more than 20 min drive is too far!! I would love to talk them through my twice daily 80 min tube commute across London!! I digress.....

City suggestions (east):

I grew up in Unley / Parkside, on the edge of the parklands. Schools are good, and it is a reasonably middle class, "safe" bet. You could walk or ride a bike to the city CBD across the parklands, you can drive down Greenhill Rd to the beach in 20 mins, and also get to the Adelaide hills very easily. Rental for houses pretty stable and is highly sought after area.

Norwood / Stepney are lovely areas, more pricey, but the Parade is a fab high st with loads of cafes, restaurants and independent shops. Houses tend to be smaller and rental more expensive (reminds me of suburban London). Schools are also very good in this area.

I lived in Hackney for a few years, which has loads of rental properties, smack bang next to the city / parklands. But I have no idea about schools in this area!

Mitcham Primary, Highate Primary School all had good reputations (don't know nowadays).

(west):

Mile End is really family friendly, close to the city (within a mile) and you can drive straight down Henley Beach Rd to the beach in less than 20 mins. Mile End boomed about 10 years ago, and prices have gone up, but the back yards are generally quite large, schools and nurseries good. Down side is the flight path to Adelaide airport.

Near Mile End, Thebarton and Brompton are very similar areas, more affordable. Quite a mix of people, makes it a very interesting lively area.

(south beachside):

Brighton and Somerton / Somerton Park are lovely areas, big houses, wide streets. Again, because it is near the beach, prices are very stable. Commute to town is straight up Brighton Rd, connecting to Anzac highway.

(north beachside):

West beach, Grange and Henley Beach are my favourites, great restaurant and cafe scenes, open sandy beaches and the houses are generally old, built from stone and resonably sizeable and cool. Again, beachside is prohibitive, but a few streets back along military road and thereabouts, you might find a rental bargain. I agree with Kag that Glenelg is pricey.

(hills):

Mt Barker / Stirling / Crafers are beautiful areas. Schools are great, houses on sizeable plots of land and surrounded by trees. This is getting away from it all in many respects!! You are quite a drive from the city (20 mins) - down the freeway but it is not too bad. You are a long way from the beach - I think 30 mins is more realistic personally, but I guess that's the trade off. The Adelaide Hills has lots of lovely little towns / vineyards / galleries etc.

So there are a few thoughts! Best of luck with the hunt. It is quite different to hunting for rental properties in the UK!!

Bellaroo

good post!!

ive only been here 9 months and lived in glenelg,happy valley and now reynella.i would say all 3 are good places.near the beach and 1/2 hr away from city.IMO.sorry cnt recomend any schools as i have no kids and dont take an intrest!!

Guest FUNKYBUNCH

Andy

I am a police officer now in adelaide so my opinions may be the best place to avoid crime and others may disagree but tough it's my opinion and I'm going to give it. The ones to definitely avoid. Anything around Christie Downs Huntfield Heights Hackham O'Sullivans Beach Morphett Vale. Oh and North is not my cup of tea either from the bit's i've seen(which is not much). Just avoid Elizabeth whatever you do. If you go North try and get in to the hills part.

For the beach (pricey) and I don't go on it too much but some love it Brighton to Glenelg is fine. Moana and Seaford are O.K and fairly cheapish

If your from England I doubt you will want to go inner city suburbs it's more money and really not impressive. I don't know anyone from my course (40 of us) that ended up inner city suburbs.

The Hills are the place to be for me. As it was said before Stirling Hahndorf are stunning, nice bars cafe's views nice community and 15 mins from the city but you would think you're about 2 hours away. It gets a bit chilly at night in the winter though. Well chilly in Australian standards

Mark

Guest bellaroo

Mr Funkybunch,

I completely agree with the comments on Elizabeth etc. I didn't want to sound too Adelaide snobby by saying so ;-) !! Brutal, but it is the truth!

Bellaroo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FUNKYBUNCH

I'm glad someone agreed I thought i would be slagged off for saying it. It was just my honest opinion.

Marky mark

Guest Guest9973
Andy

I am a police officer now in adelaide so my opinions may be the best place to avoid crime and others may disagree but tough it's my opinion and I'm going to give it. The ones to definitely avoid. Anything around Christie Downs Huntfield Heights Hackham O'Sullivans Beach Morphett Vale. Oh and North is not my cup of tea either from the bit's i've seen(which is not much). Just avoid Elizabeth whatever you do. If you go North try and get in to the hills part.

For the beach (pricey) and I don't go on it too much but some love it Brighton to Glenelg is fine. Moana and Seaford are O.K and fairly cheapish

If your from England I doubt you will want to go inner city suburbs it's more money and really not impressive. I don't know anyone from my course (40 of us) that ended up inner city suburbs.

The Hills are the place to be for me. As it was said before Stirling Hahndorf are stunning, nice bars cafe's views nice community and 15 mins from the city but you would think you're about 2 hours away. It gets a bit chilly at night in the winter though. Well chilly in Australian standards

Mark

I'd disagree a little Mark.

I live in Onkaparinga Hills - next to Hackham.

Never bothered me and there are some good parts tucked away when you look.

Same with Morphett Vale.

The new building development in Huntfield Heights is lovely and not to be confused with the older part.

Guest FUNKYBUNCH

Yeh I agree partly with what you said. I figured others would have different ideas and unfortunately in my line of work I only get called to the cra*p so I see the bad in everything.

I agree there was parts of the Onkaparinga Hills that had breathtaking views and has lovely blocks of land. I drove up there many times to get away from the rubbish. I personally just loved the views.

I have to strongly disagree about Huntfield Heights. If you had to go to the houses and people that I did you would possibly not defend it. I wouldn't want to live too close.

Morphet vale had parts that were o.k I guess and others that were a bit nasty.

I'm just thinking of you come here from the u.k you are probably looking for something better than what you had back in England. Onkaparinga Hills is far better than what I had. Huntfield Heights and parts of Morphett vale are certainly not.

• 1 month later...
Guest TraceyB68

We have been looking at Adelaide and just by looking at houses on the website liked the look of the Fleurieu peninsula, Aldinga Beach, anyone have any comments good or bad on this area ?

We are also looking for area's that have new builds as OH is a brickie so any idea's on that would be welcomed.

Thanks

Tracey x

We have been looking at Adelaide and just by looking at houses on the website liked the look of the Fleurieu peninsula, Aldinga Beach, anyone have any comments good or bad on this area ?

We are also looking for area's that have new builds as OH is a brickie so any idea's on that would be welcomed.

Well Aldinga Beach has lots of new development going on, check out the Sunday Resort. Aldinga Beach Sunday If you are looking at Fleurieu than you are going to be a long way out of Adelaide, its a good 2 hour drive, though they are crying out for trades in that area as most of the younger generation leave and move to the City, travelling from town to town could be an issue for your hubby though. I couldn't live in Aldinga, nice beaches etc but there isn't much of a shopping centre and its a bit of a trek to the City, though saying that i haven't been down there for 2 years so it could be a bit more happening now. There are a few Builders on the peninsula, mostly small locals. Higginbotham, Devine & Rossdale all build on Aldinga and surrounds but you'll need to physically go on site and meet the site supervisors or the subbies to find work. They generally pay between 85 & 90 cents a brick. We've got a friend who builds at Stansbury (Yorke Peninsula) and he has a 2 year waiting list to even look at plans.

Jo

Guest TraceyB68

Thanks for that Jo, do you recommend any other area's ? Basically we are looking at being near the sea, good schools for the kids and plenty of work for Hubby, we're not overly bothered about the city, can't remember the last time I went to one in England !

Thanks Tracey x

Guest FUNKYBUNCH

I think aldinga is pretty good for what you are looking for. There are cheapish plots of land all around, it's near to the beach, near to Mclaren vale which is great. You are a fair bit away from the city but it really doesn't matter, it's not like an english city where there are shops bars and cafes. There is no reason to be near it. Maslin Beach is near by and is lovely.... probably the best beach all along that bit of coast . There is apparently a nudist bit that scares people away but they are miles away and you don't even know they are there.

• 3 years later...
hi Andy

City suggestions (east):

(west):

(south beachside):

(north beachside):

(hills):

Bellaroo

This was helpful! Will be moving to Adelaide in Nov./Dec.2012 with hubby and two boys aged 6 and 2. Would be looking for a place which is closer to city, good public schools, day care facilities as I intend to work. Information via your post was really helpful.

cheers, LB

This was helpful! Will be moving to Adelaide in Nov./Dec.2012 with hubby and two boys aged 6 and 2. Would be looking for a place which is closer to city, good public schools, day care facilities as I intend to work. Information via your post was really helpful.

cheers, LB

Leena

First of all let me welcome you to poms in oz, I hope you find the answers to any questions you may have, you may also like to visit our sister site http://www.pomsinadelaide.com which is specific to people wanting to know about Adelaide.

The post you commented on is four years old so it's quite possible that the person you are thanking won't see your post but feel free to post any questions you may have on any of the current threads you find.

All the best

NWM

As the OP, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info. I did not in fact move to Oz back in 2008, but finally made the move just a few days ago !! I'm currently in Seacliff, looking at Hallett Cove, Brighton, Flagstaff Hill. There is food for thought in the posts in the thread now though. Thanks again. Andy.

For me places like Noarlunga, Moana and Aldinga are just too far out and "hicksville" for someone wanting to live in Adelaide - when just about everything that happens in Adelaide happens in the city.... It's like wanting to move to London and settling on the Norfolk coast instead!

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest9973
For me places like Noarlunga, Moana and Aldinga are just too far out and "hicksville" for someone wanting to live in Adelaide - when just about everything that happens in Adelaide happens in the city.... It's like wanting to move to London and settling on the Norfolk coast instead!

But some people may not want to live IN Adelaide,it certainly is not the be all and end all of live here in South Australia. We have a fabulous and busy social life, visiting the big smoke about 6 times a year. Living in the south.............

Certainly not feeling the "Hicksville",Blimey we have electric,the internet and everything!:cute::cute:

I always advise new people to look at all of Adelaide's suburbs.

But some people may not want to live IN Adelaide,it certainly is not the be all and end all of live here in South Australia. We have a fabulous and busy social life, visiting the big smoke about 6 times a year. Living in the south.............

Certainly not feeling the "Hicksville",Blimey we have electric,the internet and everything!:cute::cute:

I always advise new people to look at all of Adelaide's suburbs.

On the other hand, you have recently moved closer into the city, as I hear it, so that you and your wife can get in and out of an evening without it costing you a fortune in cab fares or an overnight hotel... so you seem to be arguing one side, but doing the opposite! You don't have to live in Adelaide to be able to take advantage of what Adelaide city has to offer, but living somewhere so far out that after a concert or a show you have to pay for a hotel - when you could easily live somewhere very nice, and very affordable, within a half hour's drive or decent public transport links - just because property is cheaper, seems very-shortsighted to me. Anyone with teens or kids that will soon be teens should also consider whether a rural area can offer everything they need (social activity, part-time jobs when you perhaps don't have a driving licence etc).

Archived